From: admin@sybershock.com (Syber Shock)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt,alt.os.linux.debian,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Seeking Debian / Ubuntu packages that install additional hash
functions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:01:01 -0500
 by: Syber Shock - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:01 UTC

I am combing the Debian / Ubuntu package archives for as many hash
program binaries as can be possibly found. This search is not just
limited to packages specifically for a hash program, such as b2sum or
gtkhash.

This search is targeted to find and and all applications that install a
hash function in the system path in addition to the application proper.
For example, installing 'nncp' also installs '/bin/nncp-hash' which
outputs MTH digests.

I am looking for programs that allow to output a hash digest from CLI
or shell. Non-CLI Library bindings for programming languages are of no
use to this effort. If the library provides hashing but is not
accessible from bash shell I don't even want to know about it.

If anyone knows a good way to mine for these goodies please elaborate.
Also post package names that you know to include a hash function.

Here are the packages and hashes I have discovered so far:

Hashing Application Bundles
---------------------------

rhash hashrat jacksum gtkhash

Digest Libraries with Shell Access
----------------------------------

argon2 gostsum balloon simhash
tlsh-tools

Individual Digest Functions
---------------------------

b2sum cksum dh_md5sums md5sum
sha1sum sha224sum sha256sum sha384sum
sha512sum shasum sum xxhash
edonr256-hash edonr512-hash gost12-256-hash gost12-512-hash
has160-hash nncp-hash sfv-hash tiger-hash
tth-hash whirlpool-hash siphash

OpenSSL Included Digest Functions
---------------------------------

blake2b512 blake2s256 md4
md5 md5-sha1 ripemd
ripemd160 rmd160 sha1
sha224 sha256 sha3-224
sha3-256 sha3-384 sha3-512
sha384 sha512 sha512-224
sha512-256 shake128 shake256
sm3 ssl3-md5 ssl3-sha1
whirlpool

Rhash Included Digest Functions
-------------------------------

crc32 md4 md5 sha1
tiger tth btih ed2k
aich whirlpool ripemd-160 gost94
has-160 gost12-256 gost12-512 gost94-cryptopro
sha-224 sha-256 sha-384 sha-512
edon-r256 edon-r512 sha3-224 sha3-256
sha3-384 sha3-512 crc32c snefru-128
snefru-256 blake2s blake2b

--
3883@sugar.bug | web: sybershock.com | news: alt.sources.crypto

Re: Seeking Debian / Ubuntu packages that install additional hash functions

<6514ae90@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3527&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3527

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Seeking Debian / Ubuntu packages that install additional hash functions
Newsgroups: sci.crypt,alt.os.linux.debian,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 28 Sep 2023 08:37:05 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:37 UTC

[ deliberately ignoring Followup-To - silly idea and I don't
subscribe to sci.crypt anyway ]

In alt.os.linux.debian Syber Shock <admin@sybershock.com> wrote:
> I am combing the Debian / Ubuntu package archives for as many hash
> program binaries as can be possibly found. This search is not just
> limited to packages specifically for a hash program, such as b2sum or
> gtkhash.

This does beg the question: Why?

> This search is targeted to find and and all applications that install a
> hash function in the system path in addition to the application proper.
> For example, installing 'nncp' also installs '/bin/nncp-hash' which
> outputs MTH digests.
>
> I am looking for programs that allow to output a hash digest from CLI
> or shell. Non-CLI Library bindings for programming languages are of no
> use to this effort. If the library provides hashing but is not
> accessible from bash shell I don't even want to know about it.

Where does this leave programs that generate a file containing a
hash? The output could then easily be processed by another program
in order to extract the hash, eg. by piping the output of the
hash-generating program to it. I've seen examples of this for
generating CRC32 hash strings using the Info-Zip "zip" command
and stripping everything except the hash from its output.

> If anyone knows a good way to mine for these goodies please elaborate.
> Also post package names that you know to include a hash function.
>
> Here are the packages and hashes I have discovered so far:

Well Busybox can be built with its own minimal versions of some of
those that you've listed. At least some are probably in the
Debian-packaged build of Busybox.

As mentioned, Zip files contain a plain-text CRC32 checksum string
for each file in a ZIP archive. The Info-Zip "unzip" command can
list the checksums in a ZIP file with this command, and "zip" of
course creates the ZIP archive and in turn the hashes:

zip file.zip file
unzip -lv file.zip

7z apparantly has similar options for showing checksums. I expect
a lot of compression programs do. If you're trying to configure an
environment where it's impossible to generate a hash (why?), maybe
this is relevent to you.

..torrent files contain hashes...

--
__ __