Vulcans never bluff. -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

SubjectAuthor
* How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Ottavio Caruso
`* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Retirednoguilt
 `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Ottavio Caruso
  +* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Adam H. Kerman
  |`* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Jörg Lorenz
  | `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Adam H. Kerman
  |  +- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Ottavio Caruso
  |  `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Jörg Lorenz
  |   `- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Adam H. Kerman
  +* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?s|b
  |`* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Ottavio Caruso
  | `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Brian Gregory
  |  +* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Joerg Walther
  |  |+* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Brian Gregory
  |  ||`- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Joerg Walther
  |  |`- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?s|b
  |  +- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Jörg Lorenz
  |  `- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Ottavio Caruso
  `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Retirednoguilt
   `* Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?dillinger
    `- Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?Retirednoguilt

1
How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urs6sk$15f98$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3415&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3415

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:24:35 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:24 UTC

I am on Betterbird, but I assume it's the same as Thunderbirb in this
context.

I have BB configured to have yahoo as my outgoing SMTP server and
Eternal September as my Usenet provider.

If I click on "Reply to All", the message goes through ES to Usenet, but
BB cannot find an SMTP server and that part of the message fails
(actually it hangs for minutes and then fails).

Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<ursnka$190mi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3417

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:10:18 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:10 UTC

On 3/1/2024 4:24 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> I am on Betterbird, but I assume it's the same as Thunderbirb in this
> context.
>
> I have BB configured to have yahoo as my outgoing SMTP server and
> Eternal September as my Usenet provider.
>
> If I click on "Reply to All", the message goes through ES to Usenet, but
> BB cannot find an SMTP server and that part of the message fails
> (actually it hangs for minutes and then fails).
>
> Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?

Have you tried using the Followup command rather than the Reply command
(assuming that BB has a Followup command)?

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urso9k$195dq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3418&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3418

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:21:39 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:21 UTC

Am 01/03/2024 um 14:10 schrieb Retirednoguilt:
> On 3/1/2024 4:24 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> I am on Betterbird, but I assume it's the same as Thunderbirb in this
>> context.
>>
>> I have BB configured to have yahoo as my outgoing SMTP server and
>> Eternal September as my Usenet provider.
>>
>> If I click on "Reply to All", the message goes through ES to Usenet, but
>> BB cannot find an SMTP server and that part of the message fails
>> (actually it hangs for minutes and then fails).
>>
>> Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?
>>

> Have you tried using the Followup command rather than the Reply command
> (assuming that BB has a Followup command)?

Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
with Forward?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urt0it$1apr6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3419&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3419

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:43:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:43 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Am 01/03/2024 um 14:10 schrieb Retirednoguilt:
>>On 3/1/2024 4:24 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>>I am on Betterbird, but I assume it's the same as Thunderbirb in this
>>>context.

>>>I have BB configured to have yahoo as my outgoing SMTP server and
>>>Eternal September as my Usenet provider.

>>>If I click on "Reply to All", the message goes through ES to Usenet, but
>>>BB cannot find an SMTP server and that part of the message fails
>>>(actually it hangs for minutes and then fails).

>>>Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?
>>Have you tried using the Followup command rather than the Reply command
>>(assuming that BB has a Followup command)?

>Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
>with Forward?

Followup-To is the header. This is applicable to Usenet, not email.

If Betterbird uses standard terminology correct, then Reply and Reply to All
would never generate followups posted to Usenet. Reply and Reply to All
and Forward are email terms inapplicable to Usenet.

The correct term in Usenet is followup, and there should be such a
command.

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<l4ehs2Fq926U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3420&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3420

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 18:34:02 +0100
 by: s|b - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:34 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:21:39 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
> with Forward?

Followup-To is a header as already explained. 'A followup' is a Usenet
posting as a reaction to another posting. What you would call 'reply' in
e-mail. In Usenet, an (unsolicited) reply through e-mail without
explicit permission of the poster is frowned upon (as in 'not done').

--
s|b

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urt47c$1bpo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3421&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3421

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:45:16 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:45 UTC

Am 01.03.24 um 17:43 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> Followup-To is the header. This is applicable to Usenet, not email.
>
> If Betterbird uses standard terminology correct, then Reply and Reply to All
> would never generate followups posted to Usenet. Reply and Reply to All
> and Forward are email terms inapplicable to Usenet.
>
> The correct term in Usenet is followup, and there should be such a
> command.

Nonsense. But your funny NR delivers this:

What are you doing here?

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urt4ik$1bvul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3422&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3422

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 12:51:12 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:51 UTC

On 3/1/2024 9:21 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 01/03/2024 um 14:10 schrieb Retirednoguilt:
>> On 3/1/2024 4:24 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>>> I am on Betterbird, but I assume it's the same as Thunderbirb in this
>>> context.
>>>
>>> I have BB configured to have yahoo as my outgoing SMTP server and
>>> Eternal September as my Usenet provider.
>>>
>>> If I click on "Reply to All", the message goes through ES to Usenet, but
>>> BB cannot find an SMTP server and that part of the message fails
>>> (actually it hangs for minutes and then fails).
>>>
>>> Is it supposed to be like this or am I doing something wrong?
>>>

>> Have you tried using the Followup command rather than the Reply command
>> (assuming that BB has a Followup command)?
>
> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
> with Forward?

No, I'm not. I apologize for never learning or understanding the way
the various panes and appearance choices are named in TB. I'll attempt
to describe what I see on my opening TB screen.

In my configuration, all the accounts and relevant folders are located
in a vertical list in a pane on the left side of the screen. When I
click on one of the email folders or usenet accounts, the upper right
pane displays all the messages relevant to that folder or account that I
clicked on. For any of the messages displayed in the upper right pane,
when I click on a specific message, the lower right pane shows the
details of that message. That lower right pane is divided into two
subsections. A "header" area, with a pale gray background shows on the
left side of that area text spelling, "From", "To", "Newsgroup" [if a
usenet post], "Subject", and "References" with the details relevant for
each of those items. However, on the right side of that header area I
have 7 buttons. They are labeled, from left to right, "Reply",
"Followup", "Forward", "Archive", "Junk", "Delete", and "More". The area
below that gray area, with a white background, shows the text of the
message.

I'm sending this reply having used the Followup button. I don't see
your specific e-mail address in the header section of this message, only
the usenet group name. (Your specific e-mail address appeared as
ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com on your post to which I am currently
replying) so it appears that my suggestion may not route this message to
your e-mail address but only provide a new posting to this usenet group.
Your feedback will provide the answer.

Sorry for being verbose but I'm trying to be precise and avoid ambiguity.

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urt5q4$1c1kt$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3423&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3423

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:12:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>Am 01.03.24 um 17:43 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:

>>Followup-To is the header. This is applicable to Usenet, not email.

>>If Betterbird uses standard terminology correct, then Reply and Reply to All
>>would never generate followups posted to Usenet. Reply and Reply to All
>>and Forward are email terms inapplicable to Usenet.

>>The correct term in Usenet is followup, and there should be such a
>>command.

>Nonsense.

That's the correct term used in Usenet, you blithering idiot, not Reply,
Reply to All, nor Forward. The three latter terms are email terms.

>But your funny NR delivers this:

>What are you doing here?

Making a comment, same as you. Welcome to unmoderated Usenet where you
don't control what anyone else posts.

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<e2l9bk-6l7.ln1@spock.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3424

From: dillinger@invalid.not (dillinger)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 19:57:50 +0100
 by: dillinger - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:57 UTC

On 01-03-2024 18:51, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 3/1/2024 9:21 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Have you tried using the Followup command rather than the Reply command
>>> (assuming that BB has a Followup command)?
>>
>> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
>> with Forward?
>>

> No, I'm not. I apologize for never learning or understanding the way
> the various panes and appearance choices are named in TB. I'll attempt
> to describe what I see on my opening TB screen.
>
> In my configuration, all the accounts and relevant folders are located
> in a vertical list in a pane on the left side of the screen. When I
> click on one of the email folders or usenet accounts, the upper right
> pane displays all the messages relevant to that folder or account that I
> clicked on. For any of the messages displayed in the upper right pane,
> when I click on a specific message, the lower right pane shows the
> details of that message. That lower right pane is divided into two
> subsections. A "header" area, with a pale gray background shows on the
> left side of that area text spelling, "From", "To", "Newsgroup" [if a
> usenet post], "Subject", and "References" with the details relevant for
> each of those items. However, on the right side of that header area I
> have 7 buttons. They are labeled, from left to right, "Reply",
> "Followup", "Forward", "Archive", "Junk", "Delete", and "More". The area
> below that gray area, with a white background, shows the text of the
> message.
>
> I'm sending this reply having used the Followup button. I don't see
> your specific e-mail address in the header section of this message, only
> the usenet group name. (Your specific e-mail address appeared as
> ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com on your post to which I am currently
> replying) so it appears that my suggestion may not route this message to
> your e-mail address but only provide a new posting to this usenet group.
> Your feedback will provide the answer.
>
> Sorry for being verbose but I'm trying to be precise and avoid ambiguity.

The Followup button has a drop-down menu, where you can choose Followup,
Reply and Reply All.
Followup replies to the newsgroup, Reply replies by email, Reply All
does both.

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<uruqvm$1q35n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3439&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3439

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:19:49 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:19 UTC

Am 01/03/2024 um 17:34 schrieb s|b:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:21:39 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>
>> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
>> with Forward?
>
> Followup-To is a header as already explained. 'A followup' is a Usenet
> posting as a reaction to another posting. What you would call 'reply' in
> e-mail. In Usenet, an (unsolicited) reply through e-mail without
> explicit permission of the poster is frowned upon (as in 'not done').

Citation needed. I regularly get off NG replies.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urur2q$1q35n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3440&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3440

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:21:29 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:21 UTC

Am 01/03/2024 um 18:12 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 01.03.24 um 17:43 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
>
>>> Followup-To is the header. This is applicable to Usenet, not email.
>
>>> If Betterbird uses standard terminology correct, then Reply and Reply to All
>>> would never generate followups posted to Usenet. Reply and Reply to All
>>> and Forward are email terms inapplicable to Usenet.
>
>>> The correct term in Usenet is followup, and there should be such a
>>> command.
>
>> Nonsense.
>
> That's the correct term used in Usenet, you blithering idiot, not Reply,
> Reply to All, nor Forward. The three latter terms are email terms.
>
>> But your funny NR delivers this:

>> What are you doing here?
>
> Making a comment, same as you. Welcome to unmoderated Usenet where you
> don't control what anyone else posts.

Twat!

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urush9$1q9dv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3441&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3441

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:46:17 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:46 UTC

Am 01.03.24 um 19:12 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
> Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Am 01.03.24 um 17:43 schrieb Adam H. Kerman:
>
>>> Followup-To is the header. This is applicable to Usenet, not email.
>
>>> If Betterbird uses standard terminology correct, then Reply and Reply to All
>>> would never generate followups posted to Usenet. Reply and Reply to All
>>> and Forward are email terms inapplicable to Usenet.
>
>>> The correct term in Usenet is followup, and there should be such a
>>> command.
>
>> Nonsense.
>
> That's the correct term used in Usenet, you blithering idiot, not Reply,
> Reply to All, nor Forward. The three latter terms are email terms.
>
>> But your funny NR delivers this:

>> What are you doing here?
>
> Making a comment, same as you. Welcome to unmoderated Usenet where you
> don't control what anyone else posts.

Your permanent attempts to play *Net Cop* and your role as *Wisenheimer*
of the english speaking Usenet qualifies you strongly for my *Killfile*.
I guess you will be the leader of the pack there.

*ROTFLSTC*, Troll.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<urvi65$1umsp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3445&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3445

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:55:48 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:55 UTC

On 3/1/2024 1:57 PM, dillinger wrote:
> On 01-03-2024 18:51, Retirednoguilt wrote:

>>> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
>>> with Forward?
>>>

>> No, I'm not. I apologize for never learning or understanding the way
>> the various panes and appearance choices are named in TB. I'll attempt
>> to describe what I see on my opening TB screen.
>>
>> In my configuration, all the accounts and relevant folders are located
>> in a vertical list in a pane on the left side of the screen. When I
>> click on one of the email folders or usenet accounts, the upper right
>> pane displays all the messages relevant to that folder or account that I
>> clicked on. For any of the messages displayed in the upper right pane,
>> when I click on a specific message, the lower right pane shows the
>> details of that message. That lower right pane is divided into two
>> subsections. A "header" area, with a pale gray background shows on the
>> left side of that area text spelling, "From", "To", "Newsgroup" [if a
>> usenet post], "Subject", and "References" with the details relevant for
>> each of those items. However, on the right side of that header area I
>> have 7 buttons. They are labeled, from left to right, "Reply",
>> "Followup", "Forward", "Archive", "Junk", "Delete", and "More". The area
>> below that gray area, with a white background, shows the text of the
>> message.
>>
>> I'm sending this reply having used the Followup button. I don't see
>> your specific e-mail address in the header section of this message, only
>> the usenet group name. (Your specific e-mail address appeared as
>> ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com on your post to which I am currently
>> replying) so it appears that my suggestion may not route this message to
>> your e-mail address but only provide a new posting to this usenet group.
>> Your feedback will provide the answer.
>>
>> Sorry for being verbose but I'm trying to be precise and avoid ambiguity.
>>

> The Followup button has a drop-down menu, where you can choose Followup,
> Reply and Reply All.
> Followup replies to the newsgroup, Reply replies by email, Reply All
> does both.

Thanks for the explanation. I searched the TB help section as well as a
general web search for that exact information and couldn't find it. I
see no posting following yours that disputes what you say. A good sign!

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<l4h3f4F7h38U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3446&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3446

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:46:28 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:46 UTC

On 02/03/2024 09:19, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 01/03/2024 um 17:34 schrieb s|b:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 14:21:39 +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>>
>>> Follow up is a header, not a command. Any chance you are not confusing
>>> with Forward?
>>
>> Followup-To is a header as already explained. 'A followup' is a Usenet
>> posting as a reaction to another posting. What you would call 'reply' in
>> e-mail. In Usenet, an (unsolicited) reply through e-mail without
>> explicit permission of the poster is frowned upon (as in 'not done').
>>

> Citation needed. I regularly get off NG replies.

You are surely in a very tiny minority if you even use your real email
address for Usenet posts nowadays. Almost nobody does. For most it was a
lesson learnt the hard way.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<obo6ui131c9n88g6uaeh2d7ddi5hlm8rbu@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3450&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3450

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 18:30:07 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:30 UTC

Brian Gregory wrote:

>You are surely in a very tiny minority if you even use your real email
>address for Usenet posts nowadays. Almost nobody does. For most it was a
>lesson learnt the hard way.

It has been a long time that spammers actually sifted through Usenet to
harvest email addresses. We have been discussing in this somewhere in
de-Usenet a while back, and there are people around who have used their
real address for at least 15 - 20 years, including me, never a single
spam in my mailbox. The late 90s were different, though.

-jw-

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<us02l5$226aa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3454&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3454

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:36:53 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:36 UTC

On 02.03.24 17:46, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 02/03/2024 09:19, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Followup-To is a header as already explained. 'A followup' is a Usenet
>>> posting as a reaction to another posting. What you would call 'reply' in
>>> e-mail. In Usenet, an (unsolicited) reply through e-mail without
>>> explicit permission of the poster is frowned upon (as in 'not done').
>>>

>> Citation needed. I regularly get off NG replies.
>>

> You are surely in a very tiny minority if you even use your real email
> address for Usenet posts nowadays. Almost nobody does. For most it was a
> lesson learnt the hard way.

*LOL*

I use my mail-address since I started in the Usenet 24 years ago. I do
not use it for any other purpose. On average I get less than one
spam-mail a week on this account.

Mail-address-harvesting in the Usenet is not attractive anymore for
spammers. For decades.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<us05bu$22qjs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3455&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3455

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:23:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:23 UTC

Jorg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>. . .

>Your permanent attempts to play *Net Cop* and your role as *Wisenheimer*
>of the english speaking Usenet qualifies you strongly for my *Killfile*.
>I guess you will be the leader of the pack there.

Again? If you were going to ignore me, you'd have done so already.

>*ROTFLSTC*, Troll.

Drama queen

If you need help with your kill file, ask. I'm here to help.

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<l4hkkmFa6opU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3456&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3456

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:39:34 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:39 UTC

On 02/03/2024 17:30, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Brian Gregory wrote:
>
>> You are surely in a very tiny minority if you even use your real email
>> address for Usenet posts nowadays. Almost nobody does. For most it was a
>> lesson learnt the hard way.
>
> It has been a long time that spammers actually sifted through Usenet to
> harvest email addresses. We have been discussing in this somewhere in
> de-Usenet a while back, and there are people around who have used their
> real address for at least 15 - 20 years, including me, never a single
> spam in my mailbox. The late 90s were different, though.

Never a single SPAM? Do you do anything else with your email address at all?

I guess I have strong memories of the late 90s. I thought it was a bit
later than that, but I'm not sure. Twice daily collecting them up and
emailing them to SpamCop.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<7lb8ui5r1g43gd1fkhceej21jgp0r4fce3@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3460&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3460

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:07:07 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 08:07 UTC

Brian Gregory wrote:

>> It has been a long time that spammers actually sifted through Usenet to
>> harvest email addresses. We have been discussing in this somewhere in
>> de-Usenet a while back, and there are people around who have used their
>> real address for at least 15 - 20 years, including me, never a single
>> spam in my mailbox. The late 90s were different, though.
>
>Never a single SPAM? Do you do anything else with your email address at all?

The mail to the address shown here is only used on Usenet and is
forwarded to my regular address, which has been in use for 20+ years,
and that one does get some spam which is filtered out quite reliably by
GMX, but the magenta-address and the gmail-address used previously have
never seen a single spam indeed.

-jw-

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<us48if$33gqi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3479&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3479

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:42:23 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:42 UTC

Am 02/03/2024 um 16:46 schrieb Brian Gregory:
> On 02/03/2024 09:19, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Followup-To is a header as already explained. 'A followup' is a Usenet
>>> posting as a reaction to another posting. What you would call 'reply' in
>>> e-mail. In Usenet, an (unsolicited) reply through e-mail without
>>> explicit permission of the poster is frowned upon (as in 'not done').
>>>

>> Citation needed. I regularly get off NG replies.
>>

> You are surely in a very tiny minority if you even use your real email
> address for Usenet posts nowadays. Almost nobody does. For most it was a
> lesson learnt the hard way.

Then you are violating ES T&Cs.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?

<l4uahiF9kurU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3508&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3508

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 18:07:10 +0100
 by: s|b - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:07 UTC

On Sat, 02 Mar 2024 18:30:07 +0100, Joerg Walther wrote:

> It has been a long time that spammers actually sifted through Usenet to
> harvest email addresses. We have been discussing in this somewhere in
> de-Usenet a while back, and there are people around who have used their
> real address for at least 15 - 20 years, including me, never a single
> spam in my mailbox. The late 90s were different, though.

Same here. My Reply-To has been valid for years.

--
s|b

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: How do you reply to newsgroup and sender at the same time?