Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root. -- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

SubjectAuthor
* Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?Steve Nickolas
+* Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?qkumba
|`- Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?Steve Nickolas
`* Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?I am Rob
 `- Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?Steve Nickolas

1
Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2106102134150.327@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3479&group=comp.sys.apple2#3479

From: usotsuki@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:36:32 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 01:36 UTC

I've sometimes run into the occasional program that crashes or
malfunctions on an Apple //c or a Laser 128. So some time ago I had the
daft idea of trying to get the Enhanced //e ROM running on both.

Obviously, it's not quite as easy as just putting the right ROMs in the
right place, or there seems to be differences between how all 3 systems
bankswitch the ROMs.

I know it's a stupid idea but it's something I would like to experiment
with.

-uso.

Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

<b79a4ea1-259c-40db-b397-fe349b4cf824n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3481&group=comp.sys.apple2#3481

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter.ferrie@gmail.com (qkumba)
 by: qkumba - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:00 UTC

It sounds like you need a ROMX from theromexchange.com.

Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2106111105430.6255@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3482&group=comp.sys.apple2#3482

From: usotsuki@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:06:52 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:06 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, qkumba wrote:

> It sounds like you need a ROMX from theromexchange.com.

That actually seems to have nothing to do with what I'm trying to do. o.o

(Also, I use emulators to test my ideas.)

-uso.

Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

<bbdb6ac9-3880-4d59-848f-d57d23c77355n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3483&group=comp.sys.apple2#3483

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: gids.rs@sasktel.net (I am Rob)
 by: I am Rob - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 00:51 UTC

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:36:35 PM UTC-6, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> I've sometimes run into the occasional program that crashes or
> malfunctions on an Apple //c or a Laser 128. So some time ago I had the
> daft idea of trying to get the Enhanced //e ROM running on both.
>
> Obviously, it's not quite as easy as just putting the right ROMs in the
> right place, or there seems to be differences between how all 3 systems
> bankswitch the ROMs.
>
> I know it's a stupid idea but it's something I would like to experiment
> with.

You don't say if the programs that crash work on an enhanced IIe, or just regular IIe. That would probably mean usage of an unsupported opcode that doesn't work on enhanced machines.

I know the CALL -3100 command to enable graphics doesn't work on the Laser. Not sure about the IIc.

Are we talking all programs with graphics, the ones that crash that is? A list of the programs that don't work would be handy.

Although I understand where you are going. I had the same thought at one time to install a IIe ROM into my Laser for more compatibility.

Instead of changing the ROM though, probably an easier idea might be to install the enhanced ROM's software into the Laser or IIc's Auxilliary Language Card, set the soft switches that puts the Auxiliary memory in control and run the software from there. The only time it won't work is if the programs are booted from disk.

Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?

<alpine.DEB.2.21.2106112052490.7733@sd-119843.dedibox.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3484&group=comp.sys.apple2#3484

From: usotsuki@buric.co (Steve Nickolas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 21:00:44 -0400
 by: Steve Nickolas - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:00 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021, I am Rob wrote:

> You don't say if the programs that crash work on an enhanced IIe, or
> just regular IIe. That would probably mean usage of an unsupported
> opcode that doesn't work on enhanced machines.

I compared with an enhanced //e. I don't generally test stuff with the
1982 firmware.

> I know the CALL -3100 command to enable graphics doesn't work on the
> Laser. Not sure about the IIc.

CALL -3100 works on the //c, meaning it has to do with differences in the
BASIC (as F3E4 is in BASIC space) rather than differences in the monitor.

> Are we talking all programs with graphics, the ones that crash that is?
> A list of the programs that don't work would be handy.

I haven't tested everything. I do know Cubit is one of the problem games
(and it has to do with using an illegal entry point, FB81, according to
documentation in my replacement ][+ monitor).

> Although I understand where you are going. I had the same thought at
> one time to install a IIe ROM into my Laser for more compatibility.

I'm sure the thought wasn't uncommon among people who have used Lasers. (I
first had the thought back in 1996.)

> Instead of changing the ROM though, probably an easier idea might be to
> install the enhanced ROM's software into the Laser or IIc's Auxilliary
> Language Card, set the soft switches that puts the Auxiliary memory in
> control and run the software from there. The only time it won't work is
> if the programs are booted from disk.

For Cubit, you can do that with the ][ or ][+ ROM.

-uso.

computers / comp.sys.apple2 / Re: Stupid idea - modified Apple //e ROM onto other systems?