From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Subject: classic MS Word 3D art
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:58:49 GMT
 by: Retrograde - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:58 UTC

From the «it's a niche» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: How to get the retro WordArt back in Microsoft Word
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:37:46 -0500
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/138572/how-to-get-the-retro-wordart-back-in-microsoft-word/

Graphic design is my passion so naturally I love the vintage, 1990s WordArt.
This was a feature in Microsoft Word that allowed you to create timeless “3D”
renderings of any text you wanted. It was perfection, but for some reason
Microsoft overhauled the feature in the late 2000s, basically ruining it.
[…]

These are a soulless simulacrum of the WordArt of yore. The true WordArt
remains, however, embedded deep in the code of Microsoft Word itself. But some
things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend.
Legend became myth. And for twenty years WordArt passed out of all knowledge.

But it can be found again.
↫ Justin Pot at Popular Science[1]

I had no idea this stuff was still in there, but I guess it makes sense – people
absolutely adored this stuff, and it was all over the place for a very long
time. You would see it in restaurants, hotels, schools, stores, everywhere –
from high-end, luxury places to bargain basements. Now that I think about it,
I’m not at all surprised it’s still accessible.

Links:
[1]: https://www.popsci.com/diy/how-to-get-the-retro-wordart-back-in-microsoft-word/ (link)

Re: classic MS Word 3D art

<uqo80d$3v7pc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3457&group=comp.misc#3457

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: classic MS Word 3D art
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:02:53 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:02 UTC

On 2/16/24 11:58, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «it's a niche» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: How to get the retro WordArt back in Microsoft Word
> Author: Thom Holwerda
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:37:46 -0500
> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/138572/how-to-get-the-retro-wordart-back-in-microsoft-word/
>

> Graphic design is my passion so naturally I love the vintage, 1990s WordArt.
> This was a feature in Microsoft Word that allowed you to create timeless “3D”
> renderings of any text you wanted. It was perfection, but for some reason
> Microsoft overhauled the feature in the late 2000s, basically ruining it.
> […]
>
> These are a soulless simulacrum of the WordArt of yore. The true WordArt
> remains, however, embedded deep in the code of Microsoft Word itself. But some
> things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend.
> Legend became myth. And for twenty years WordArt passed out of all knowledge.
>
> But it can be found again.
> ↫ Justin Pot at Popular Science[1]
>
> I had no idea this stuff was still in there, but I guess it makes sense – people
> absolutely adored this stuff, and it was all over the place for a very long
> time. You would see it in restaurants, hotels, schools, stores, everywhere –
> from high-end, luxury places to bargain basements. Now that I think about it,
> I’m not at all surprised it’s still accessible.
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://www.popsci.com/diy/how-to-get-the-retro-wordart-back-in-microsoft-word/ (link)

Wait, it still exists? Awesome!