But you'll notice Perl has a goto. -- Larry Wall in <199710211624.JAA17833@wall.org>

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

SubjectAuthor
* Auto Delete Email FiltersArno Martens
+- Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersSam
+* Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersJim H
|`- Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersArno Martens
+* Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersDennis Lee Bieber
|`- Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersArno Martens
`* Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersRalph Fox
 `* Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersArno Martens
  `* Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersRalph Fox
   `- Re: Auto Delete Email FiltersArno Martens

1
Auto Delete Email Filters

<sbddc7$evh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3422&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3422

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Auto Delete Email Filters
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:01 UTC

I think I found the problem but would like it confirmed.

On our first and my second Covid 19 shots at government institution we received
confirming print outs on the spot with eMail attachment confirmations. (Spaced 4
months in Ontario to give first shot to as many as possible.) Drugstore offered
the second a month sooner for her and she took it but never received a printout.
Checked several times and they said we should have received the eMail the usual
way.
Called the Ministry today, person sent it, checked while on the line, nothing.
Repeated, nothing. Asked to send to my eMail account, again nothing but this
time I noticed that it showed 1 for Deleted. Ended the phone call.
Checked Recent Emails and it showed Inbox Email Filters.
Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
that is the reason for instant deletion.

https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb

I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"
--
Regards,
Arno

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<ue7ldgt84tm0r5nq3uhq1cpl8qfggd89go@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3423&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3423

From: sam@sam.invalid (Sam)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Auto Delete Email Filters
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:14:12 -0700
 by: Sam - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:14 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, Arno Martens
<snetram@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"
>--

No, there are deleted. You can check the "TRASH" folder to see if the
message was placed there.

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<h8fkdg90cu418kkji4ukphmeu594k4kgfj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3424

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:53:15 +0000
 by: Jim H - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:53 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, in <sbddc7$evh$1@dont-email.me>,
Arno Martens <snetram@sympatico.ca> wrote:

[ snip ]

>Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
>that is the reason for instant deletion.
>
>https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb
>
>I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"

Look in TRASH as someone else said.

Just my opinion, but when filtering email on some characteristic like
UTF-8 characters the action shouldn't be to TRASH it... at least not
if TRASH is automatically deleted. Maybe TRASH for known senders and
FILTERED for the rest?
--
Jim H

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<fghkdg5utt4a4r6qqimt2iuvkmp3r25a47@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3425

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:04:20 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 22:04 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, Arno Martens <snetram@sympatico.ca>
declaimed the following:

>Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
>that is the reason for instant deletion.
>
>https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb

You don't show the configuration of that filter -- If set to "Delete"
the message may or may not (I don't use Agent for email) put them into a
Trash box.

>I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"

IF the message was put into Trash, you can likely retrieve it AS LONG
AS YOU DON'T EXIT THE SESSION. Once you shutdown Agent, it likely purges
and compresses the Trash box (along with other boxes); those messages are
lost forever.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<sbdohi$ier$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3426

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:12:34 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 00:12 UTC

Mon, 28 Jun 2021 21:53:15 +0000, Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid>, wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, in <sbddc7$evh$1@dont-email.me>,
>Arno Martens <snetram@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>[ snip ]
>
>>Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
>>that is the reason for instant deletion.
>>
>>https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb
>>
>>I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>>"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"
>
>Look in TRASH as someone else said.
>
>Just my opinion, but when filtering email on some characteristic like
>UTF-8 characters the action shouldn't be to TRASH it... at least not
>if TRASH is automatically deleted. Maybe TRASH for known senders and
>FILTERED for the rest?

Thanks that was a consideration. My trash is deleted after about 30 days.
I set that Kill filter 10+ years ago when it was suggested here and I was
getting some odd spam.

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<sbdpfo$n56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3427

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:28:39 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 00:28 UTC

Mon, 28 Jun 2021 18:04:20 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com>,
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, Arno Martens <snetram@sympatico.ca>
>declaimed the following:
>

>>Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
>>that is the reason for instant deletion.
>>
>>https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb
>>
> You don't show the configuration of that filter -- If set to "Delete"
>the message may or may not (I don't use Agent for email) put them into a
>Trash box.
>
>>I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>>"Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"
>
> IF the message was put into Trash, you can likely retrieve it AS LONG
>AS YOU DON'T EXIT THE SESSION. Once you shutdown Agent, it likely purges
>and compresses the Trash box (along with other boxes); those messages are
>lost forever.

It is a Delete filter with 700 priority.
Except for this and a couple of others I use Agent for eMail only and have
others come in as POP3.
As said in the other post, my Trash folder is purged about every 30 days,
but rhe Kill filter seems to work akin to Shift+Delete.

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<lfaldgtvtnufqrmfdl4nsgau9t98un3chs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3430

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:10:57 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 06:10 UTC

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, Arno Martens wrote:

> I think I found the problem but would like it confirmed.
>
> On our first and my second Covid 19 shots at government institution we received
> confirming print outs on the spot with eMail attachment confirmations. (Spaced 4
> months in Ontario to give first shot to as many as possible.) Drugstore offered
> the second a month sooner for her and she took it but never received a printout.
> Checked several times and they said we should have received the eMail the usual
> way.
> Called the Ministry today, person sent it, checked while on the line, nothing.
> Repeated, nothing. Asked to send to my eMail account, again nothing but this
> time I noticed that it showed 1 for Deleted. Ended the phone call.
> Checked Recent Emails and it showed Inbox Email Filters.
> Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
> that is the reason for instant deletion.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb
>
> I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
> "Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"

The é is the letter "é" in raw UTF-8 encoding. Modern standards are
that non-7bit (non-ASCII) headers which are not MIME-encoded should use
UTF-8 encoding.

I strongly suspect that the filter "delete" action does not even put
the email in the .DAT file. There may or may not have been a temporary
file task********.tmp in Agent's data folder for the incoming email.
If there was, it would have been deleted when the email retrieval task
finished.

If you ever want to recover kill-filtered emails, it would be better if
the kill filter was to file the email somewhere such as Junk, Trash, or
a folder "My-Slow-To-Purge-Bin".
screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/hhMIHc0.gif>

Just FYI, the filter

subject: {¥}|{Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â}

will look for "Ò", "Ã", "Á", or "Â" in _any_ header.
That is, it is equivalent to

subject: {¥} | any-header: ( {Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â} )

If you wanted to look for "Ò", "Ã", "Á", or "Â" only in the subject,
the filter would need parentheses like this:

subject: ( {¥}|{Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â} )

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<sbf520$geu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3431&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3431

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:52:16 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:52 UTC

Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:10:57 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>, wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:01:58 -0400, Arno Martens wrote:
>
>> I think I found the problem but would like it confirmed.
>>
>> On our first and my second Covid 19 shots at government institution we received
>> confirming print outs on the spot with eMail attachment confirmations. (Spaced 4
>> months in Ontario to give first shot to as many as possible.) Drugstore offered
>> the second a month sooner for her and she took it but never received a printout.
>> Checked several times and they said we should have received the eMail the usual
>> way.
>> Called the Ministry today, person sent it, checked while on the line, nothing.
>> Repeated, nothing. Asked to send to my eMail account, again nothing but this
>> time I noticed that it showed 1 for Deleted. Ended the phone call.
>> Checked Recent Emails and it showed Inbox Email Filters.
>> Noticed the matching capital A with the Tilde on top and am now pretty certain
>> that is the reason for instant deletion.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/gUOrtHb
>>
>> I am sure of the answer but will ask anyway
>> "Are those post hidden and can be retrieved by a knowledgeable user?"
>

>The é is the letter "é" in raw UTF-8 encoding. Modern standards are
>that non-7bit (non-ASCII) headers which are not MIME-encoded should use
>UTF-8 encoding.
>

>I strongly suspect that the filter "delete" action does not even put
>the email in the .DAT file. There may or may not have been a temporary
>file task********.tmp in Agent's data folder for the incoming email.
>If there was, it would have been deleted when the email retrieval task
>finished.
>

>If you ever want to recover kill-filtered emails, it would be better if
>the kill filter was to file the email somewhere such as Junk, Trash, or
>a folder "My-Slow-To-Purge-Bin".
> screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/hhMIHc0.gif>
>

>Just FYI, the filter
>
> subject: {¥}|{Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â}
>
>will look for "Ò", "Ã", "Á", or "Â" in _any_ header.
>That is, it is equivalent to
>
> subject: {¥} | any-header: ( {Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â} )
>
>If you wanted to look for "Ò", "Ã", "Á", or "Â" only in the subject,
>the filter would need parentheses like this:
>
> subject: ( {¥}|{Ò}|{Ã}|{Á}|{Â} )

Thank you Ralph,

With your explanation the bilingual Subject becomes:
Dose Administration Receipt/Récépissé de l'administration de la dose

I was going to delete that filter, which may have been recommended by you to
solve the problem of another poster but will follow your advice and set up a new
folder to hold those deletes for review.

In a similar vein you had made a recommendation about Codepage 1252
https://imgur.com/a/cnqKzMG
which I have not acted upon.
Should I do that to eliminate the problem I had with that post received?

Again, thank you very much Ralph.
--
Best Regards,
Arno

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<um9odg10invi2n09gqs175qdr6f61kmabj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3433&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3433

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:14:59 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:14 UTC

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:52:16 -0400, Arno Martens wrote:

> In a similar vein you had made a recommendation about Codepage 1252
> https://imgur.com/a/cnqKzMG
> which I have not acted upon.
> Should I do that to eliminate the problem I had with that post received?

1. I do not believe that will help with this problem.

2. Agent comes out of the box already set up with Codepage 1252.

3. That particular recommendation was _not_ by me. Check that post,
here:
* <http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=162503822900> -- for that post on this website, you may need to set your browser to View >> Text Encoding >> Western
* <https://narkive.com/vkSW1Bsm.15>
* <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/hddEvJT3VP0/m/LXruiktIDQAJ>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Auto Delete Email Filters

<sbhpmm$hd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3437&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3437

From: snetram@sympatico.ca (Arno Martens)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:56:53 -0400
 by: Arno Martens - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:56 UTC

Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:14:59 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>, wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:52:16 -0400, Arno Martens wrote:
>
>> In a similar vein you had made a recommendation about Codepage 1252
>> https://imgur.com/a/cnqKzMG
>> which I have not acted upon.
>> Should I do that to eliminate the problem I had with that post received?
>

> 1. I do not believe that will help with this problem.
>
> 2. Agent comes out of the box already set up with Codepage 1252.
>
> 3. That particular recommendation was _not_ by me. Check that post,
> here:
> * <http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=162503822900> -- for that post on this website, you may need to set your browser to View >> Text Encoding >> Western
> * <https://narkive.com/vkSW1Bsm.15>
> * <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/hddEvJT3VP0/m/LXruiktIDQAJ>

Thank you. I will do nothing about this as it will not change anything for me.
--
Best Regards,
Arno