The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

SubjectAuthor
* OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone linebilsch01
+* Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineMike Easter
|`- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineMike Easter
+- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineAnssi Saari
+- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineMike Easter
+- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineJonathan N. Little
+- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone linePaul
+* Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineHeinz Schmitz
|`* Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineHenry Crun
| `- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineBud Frede
`* Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineAbandoned_Trolley
 `- Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone lineAbandoned_Trolley

1
OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<u7uq2g$3o06e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3410&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3410

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:38:29 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:38 UTC

I am so foggy on this stuff. I remember the acronym POTS for "plain old
telephone system". There were 28k serial modems, 56k modems.
I still have something:
Zoom 56k USB Modem: it has an RJ11 jack for phone line.

We still have 2 phones in the house connected to 4-wire phone line via
RJ11 connectors, however the phone wires don't go out to the telephone
company, it's connected to our comcast 'gateway' gizmo.
I guess the correct name is Xfinity, not comcast.
We are just about to get rid of the telephone feature with comcast. We
never use those phones. We been talking about it - in the next few days
we're going to do it. No more comcast television either.

I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the proper
name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?

When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't
know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I
could communicate with the public library using my
Zoom 56k USB Modem.
Any info will be appreciated.

TIA. Bill S. (in Seattle, WA)

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<kgg9irF6u5dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3411&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3411

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:59:22 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:
> We still have 2 phones in the house connected to 4-wire phone line via
> RJ11 connectors, however the phone wires don't go out to the telephone
> company, it's connected to our comcast 'gateway' gizmo.

I have phones 'all over the house' so connected; 3 panasonic cordless, 1
att cordless, plus some old corded phones almost never used in the
garage and one in the kitchen where there is a cordless which is the one
I use there. Every room in the house has an rj11. I disconnected the 2
lines connected to ATT copper on the outside of the house because it
interfered w/ my VoIP connection which is done w/ a Obihai device. And
there's a rj11 corded fax machine which doesn't work w/ my voip, but my
winfax works over voip.

At one time I was paying ATT over $60/mo for 2 copper lines. Now I have
more voip lines and they are free. I only pay about $4 a month to
'maintain' a cell plan I almost never use. I don't carry a cell and I
don't normally turn the cell on; I use the voip numbers.

There are a lot of places to get the Hayes AT commands; the wp has an
article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_AT_command_set

I also have old dialup modems.

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<kggd89F7fflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3412&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3412

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:02:00 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 17:02 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> I also have old dialup modems.

And, when I was a Boy Scout, I learned Morse code, but I was never very
fast at it. :-)

I found an article covering the history of Morse code (and other
signaling) in the BSA from inception to the present.

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2016/02/22/history-of-morse-code-in-the-bsa/

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<sm0edlo3i0a.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3413&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3413

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 22:35:49 +0300
sha1:S0C0GH+WIsFh45GGVPsKnxErIs4=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:35 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> writes:

> I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the
> proper name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
> Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?

AT commands are called AT commands. As far as I know, there wasn't much
of a standard unless you count the original Hayes modems.

As for a reference, you are aware of search engines? Wikipedia? This
page has some documents for Zoom modems:
https://legacysupport.minim.com/hc/en-us/articles/1260803118210-AT-Command-Reference-Manuals-for-the-Zoom-Modem-V-92-USB-Mini

In case you're interested, modern 4G and 5G cellular modems still often
have, among others, a serial interface for AT commands.

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<kggq4aF9d36U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3414&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3414

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 13:41:45 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 20:41 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:
> I remember using AT commands via serial modem

How about sat comm?

> This document is intended as a reference guide to the usage of the AT
> command set for the Iridium™ subscriber unit.

(That U+2122 after iridium is supposed to be a trademark symbol in case
it doesn't
display)

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<u7vgjo$3qe9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3415&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3415

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:03:07 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:03 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:
<snip>

still have 2 phones in the house connected to 4-wire phone line via
> RJ11 connectors, however the phone wires don't go out to the telephone
> company, it's connected to our comcast 'gateway' gizmo.
> I guess the correct name is Xfinity, not comcast.
> We are just about to get rid of the telephone feature with comcast. We
> never use those phones. We been talking about it - in the next few days
> we're going to do it. No more comcast television either.

Okay you are using VIOP via Xfinity

<snip>

> When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
> commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't
> know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I
> could communicate with the public library using my
> Zoom 56k USB Modem.
> Any info will be appreciated.

What protocol are you hoping to communicate with your public library? I
manage my public library computers via SSH but do it via Internet
connection not via PPP using an old analog modem. I can FAX via the VOIP
which I used to do with with my old modem (yes some still use FAXes),
but not all VOIP works for FAX. The cellular "home phone" we had before
for "landline" did not, but this fiber VOIP does. Not sure about Xfinity.

Trying to think what other protocol I used with old modem, kermit,
xmodem, ... More info required.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<u7vhe4$3qgj2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3416&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3416

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:17:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:17 UTC

On 7/3/2023 11:38 AM, bilsch01 wrote:
> I am so foggy on this stuff. I remember the acronym POTS for "plain old telephone system". There were 28k serial modems, 56k modems.
> I still have something:
> Zoom 56k USB Modem: it has an RJ11 jack for phone line.
>
> We still have 2 phones in the house connected to 4-wire phone line via RJ11 connectors, however the phone wires don't go out to the telephone company, it's connected to our comcast 'gateway' gizmo.
> I guess the correct name is Xfinity, not comcast.
> We are just about to get rid of the telephone feature with comcast. We never use those phones. We been talking about it - in the next few days we're going to do it. No more comcast television either.
>
> I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the proper name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
> Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?
>
> When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I could communicate with the public library using my
> Zoom 56k USB Modem.
> Any info will be appreciated.
>
> TIA.   Bill S. (in Seattle, WA)

Be aware that FAX and DUN (dialup networking), will
have trouble with the bandwidth implementation of the
VOIP. On FAX machines, the normal 14400 Fine must
be switched down to 9600 and tried again. I do not know
what the max DUN is with an old modem. It's not likely
to be 43K (middle of road value, for mild impairment).

What would I practice with ? Even the FreeNet has bailed
on DUN, and is "selling" their own ADSL.

As long as your modem standard is not known for the
"spiral of death", the modem will auto-adjust to conditions.
I assume, when you talk of testing this stuff, you have
a *working* combo of branded modem and dialup pool at the destinations.
There were combinations of modem and front end that did not work.
The word "Livingston" for the front end, seemed to figure in
some of those pronouncements. The odds of Google allowing you
to find some of the old DUN help pages, why, that's equal to zero.

And as Google fouls up search, so does Bing. How ARE those
two coupled together ???

Paul

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<9ma7ai9rcp1g1f55te1s0n333li3j3ar6b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3417

From: sch@example.invalid (Heinz Schmitz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 07:18:33 +0200
 by: Heinz Schmitz - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:18 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:

>I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the proper
>name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
>Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?
>
>When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
>commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't
>know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I
>could communicate with the public library using my
>Zoom 56k USB Modem.
>Any info will be appreciated.

Once upon a time we got "User Manuals", when we bought hardware.
So I bet, You will find anything about the AT commands, when you find
a user manual for an "old" modem.

Regards,
H.

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<u80glb$1a41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3418&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3418

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:10:34 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:10 UTC

Have you tried looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_AT_command_set

?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<u80hf6$1d9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3419&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3419

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 08:24:20 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 07:24 UTC

On 04/07/2023 08:10, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 16:38, bilsch01 wrote:
>> I am so foggy on this stuff. I remember the acronym POTS for "plain
>> old telephone system". There were 28k serial modems, 56k modems.
>> I still have something:
>> Zoom 56k USB Modem: it has an RJ11 jack for phone line.
>>
>> We still have 2 phones in the house connected to 4-wire phone line via
>> RJ11 connectors, however the phone wires don't go out to the telephone
>> company, it's connected to our comcast 'gateway' gizmo.
>> I guess the correct name is Xfinity, not comcast.
>> We are just about to get rid of the telephone feature with comcast. We
>> never use those phones. We been talking about it - in the next few
>> days we're going to do it. No more comcast television either.
>>
>> I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the
>> proper name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
>> Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?
>>
>> When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
>> commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I
>> don't know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is
>> maybe I could communicate with the public library using my
>> Zoom 56k USB Modem.
>> Any info will be appreciated.
>>
>> TIA.   Bill S. (in Seattle, WA)
>>

> Have you tried looking at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_AT_command_set
>
> ?

My apologies - it looks like Mike found it first :-\
--
random signature text inserted here

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<kgidrpFftg2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3420&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3420

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 14:24:41 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:24 UTC

On 04/07/2023 8:18, Heinz Schmitz wrote:
> bilsch01 wrote:

>> I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the proper
>> name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
>> Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?
>>
>> When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
>> commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't
>> know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I
>> could communicate with the public library using my
>> Zoom 56k USB Modem.
>> Any info will be appreciated.
>
> Once upon a time we got "User Manuals", when we bought hardware.
> So I bet, You will find anything about the AT commands, when you find
> a user manual for an "old" modem.
>
> Regards,
> H.

I just found, among my souvenirs a booklet titled "FAX/DATA MODEM USER'S MANUAL"
and stuck inside a list of Trumpet on Win3.11 setup commands

Before the advent of TCP/IP I recollect using Kermit on RSTS/E with scripts
to semi-automatically do terminal emulation and file transfers.
We were lucky to have 1200 baud modems, other in areas with 1940-1950 era copper lines
were limited to 110 baud.

I also recall getting the job as the Software people needed someone to solder RS232 cables
and maintai Digital LA120 terminal.

My, how time flies.

--
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#befor

Re: OT: anybody remember ATDT commands for telephone line

<uxNxM.134682$ens9.78740@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3436&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3436

From: frede@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:11:05 -0400
 by: Bud Frede - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:11 UTC

Henry Crun <mike@rechtman.com> writes:

> On 04/07/2023 8:18, Heinz Schmitz wrote:
>> bilsch01 wrote:

>>> I remember using AT commands via serial modem - I don't know the proper
>>> name for what the AT commands are called. Anybody?
>>> Anybody know an internet reference listing the commands?
>>>
>>> When I woke up this morning my brain was having the memory of the AT
>>> commands. I would like to tinker with them for a day or two, but I don't
>>> know if that's even possible with our comcast gateway. If it is maybe I
>>> could communicate with the public library using my
>>> Zoom 56k USB Modem.
>>> Any info will be appreciated.
>> Once upon a time we got "User Manuals", when we bought hardware.
>> So I bet, You will find anything about the AT commands, when you find
>> a user manual for an "old" modem.
>> Regards,
>> H.
>>

> I just found, among my souvenirs a booklet titled "FAX/DATA MODEM USER'S MANUAL"
> and stuck inside a list of Trumpet on Win3.11 setup commands
>
> Before the advent of TCP/IP I recollect using Kermit on RSTS/E with scripts
> to semi-automatically do terminal emulation and file transfers.
> We were lucky to have 1200 baud modems, other in areas with 1940-1950 era copper lines
> were limited to 110 baud.

I used RSTS/E this century. :-) There was an application written in
Basic-Plus that was still in use (and maintained) by a company I worked
for. When DEC hardware was no longer available, they wrote an emulator
that ran on top of SCO OpenServer and RSTS/E ran in that.

It was really interesting to work on and see how things were done back
when PDP-11s were common.