"It's ten o'clock... Do you know where your AI programs are?" -- Peter Oakley

computers / comp.misc / Re: Using SMS for password reset.

SubjectAuthor
* Using SMS for password reset.Sylvia Else
+* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Dan Purgert
|+* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Sylvia Else
||`* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Bruce Horrocks
|| +- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Kerr-Mudd, John
|| `- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Ian
|`* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Spiros Bousbouras
| +- Re: Using SMS for password reset.D
| +* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Julieta Shem
| |`* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Mike Spencer
| | `- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Julieta Shem
| `* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Dan Purgert
|  +* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Sylvia Else
|  |`- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Dan Purgert
|  `* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Spiros Bousbouras
|   `* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Dan Purgert
|    `- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Spiros Bousbouras
+- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Rich
+- Re: Using SMS for password reset.newsmaster
`* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Sylvia Else
 `* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Rich
  +- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Bob Eager
  +* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Julieta Shem
  |`* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Scott Dorsey
  | `* Re: Using SMS for password reset.Julieta Shem
  |  `- Re: Using SMS for password reset.D
  `- Re: Using SMS for password reset.Sylvia Else

Pages:12
Re: Using SMS for password reset.

<20240207103128.c396e6cc9575337ae22be432@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3420&group=comp.misc#3420

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Using SMS for password reset.
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:31:28 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:31 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:47:35 +0000
Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 30/01/2024 10:57, Sylvia Else wrote:

> >> Until you don't remember it, then what?
> >>
> >> Because let's face it, eventually we all forget the password.
> >>

> > If I say I won't forget, you've no real reason to doubt me. There are
> > many things that I've remembered for decades.
>
> I don't doubt you, but your ability to remember a password that isn't
> easily guessable and isn't re-used on multiple sites puts you in the top
> 0.1% of the population. Banks, however, have to deal with the remaining
> 99.9% as well.
>
> > In the event that I really did forget, then I'd have to show up at one
> > of the bank's offices with physical identity documents.
>
> That's the last thing they want people doing. Imagine going into the
> bank to find that there are 15 people ahead of you in the queue, all
> waiting to go through a 5 minute process of showing documents to prove
> their identity to get their password changed.
>
> The banks don't want to pay their staff to change passwords, they want
> to pay them to sell you a new savings account or to take out a loan.
>
> FWIW my bank in the UK gives out a free card reader device, a bit like a
> pocket calculator, for their 2FA system. To use it you insert your bank
> card, enter your card pin, which it validates using the chip in the chip
> & pin card and then displays an 8 digit number to enter into the website.
>
> You use this to log in initially (so no password to remember) and then
> to re-authenticate prior to carrying out any sensitive actions such as
> making a payment or changing personal details.

These are being deprecated by my bank; they much prefer to sms a
code to your phone.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Using SMS for password reset.

<uq127r$2ejp9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=comp.misc#3425

From: gay@sfuu.ca (Ian)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 15:03:23 -0800
 by: Ian - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 23:03 UTC

Bruce Horrocks wrote:

> On 30/01/2024 10:57, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Until you don't remember it, then what?
>>>
>>> Because let's face it, eventually we all forget the password.
>>>

>> If I say I won't forget, you've no real reason to doubt me. There are
>> many things that I've remembered for decades.
>
> I don't doubt you, but your ability to remember a password that isn't
> easily guessable and isn't re-used on multiple sites puts you in the
> top 0.1% of the population. Banks, however, have to deal with the
> remaining 99.9% as well.
>
>> In the event that I really did forget, then I'd have to show up at
>> one of the bank's offices with physical identity documents.
>
> That's the last thing they want people doing. Imagine going into the
> bank to find that there are 15 people ahead of you in the queue, all
> waiting to go through a 5 minute process of showing documents to prove
> their identity to get their password changed.
>
> The banks don't want to pay their staff to change passwords, they want
> to pay them to sell you a new savings account or to take out a loan.
>
> FWIW my bank in the UK gives out a free card reader device, a bit like
> a pocket calculator, for their 2FA system. To use it you insert your
> bank card, enter your card pin, which it validates using the chip in
> the chip & pin card and then displays an 8 digit number to enter into
> the website.
>
> You use this to log in initially (so no password to remember) and then
> to re-authenticate prior to carrying out any sensitive actions such as
> making a payment or changing personal details.

Would that be the same bank that asks you for, e.g. the 3rd character of
your pin and the 5th character of your password? This seems to mean
that they must have plaintext of your pin and password on line. Doesn't
seem very secure...
--
*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************