Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between arcanery and kookery

<ufuj0n$6b1$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.fan.usenet#334

From: pschleck@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups,sci.misc
Subject: Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between arcanery and kookery
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:48 UTC

"The discussion of scientific or technical topics on Usenet has often
wound up as a dichotomy between an advanced academic newsgroup and one
that is overwhelmed with kooky or naive laypeople with pet theories,
pie-in-the-sky proposals, and flawed proofs of long-standing challenges
in fields (Fermat's Theorem being most popular). Throw in some obviously
unbalanced individuals, personal attacks, repetitive agenda posting,
public meltdowns, and the inevitable detour into political arguments,
and these newsgroups became unusable for purpose."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/zzw4ar/subject_matter_newsgroups_threading_the_needle/

Re: Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between arcanery and kookery

<20231008191801.619214dc534854670fe272d1@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=alt.fan.usenet#337

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups,sci.misc,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between
arcanery and kookery
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:18:01 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 18:18 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
pschleck@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck) wrote:

> "The discussion of scientific or technical topics on Usenet has often
> wound up as a dichotomy between an advanced academic newsgroup and one
> that is overwhelmed with kooky or naive laypeople with pet theories,
> pie-in-the-sky proposals, and flawed proofs of long-standing challenges
> in fields (Fermat's Theorem being most popular). Throw in some obviously
> unbalanced individuals, personal attacks, repetitive agenda posting,
> public meltdowns, and the inevitable detour into political arguments,
> and these newsgroups became unusable for purpose."
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/zzw4ar/subject_matter_newsgroups_threading_the_needle/

I could put you in touch with someone who's invented a free-energy
device - it's not just a perpetual motion machine; all he needs is some
investment to get going.

Ok you can save on my fee; I'll crosspost to uae. If my ISP allows it.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between arcanery and kookery

<n666ii54glt568k0c6mtgnd0ehv3k94r4v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=alt.fan.usenet#338

From: drsteerforth@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups,sci.misc,alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 14:06:20 -0700
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 21:06 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:18:01 +0100, "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 15:48:39 -0000 (UTC)
>pschleck@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck) wrote:
>
>> "The discussion of scientific or technical topics on Usenet has often
>> wound up as a dichotomy between an advanced academic newsgroup and one
>> that is overwhelmed with kooky or naive laypeople with pet theories,
>> pie-in-the-sky proposals, and flawed proofs of long-standing challenges
>> in fields (Fermat's Theorem being most popular). Throw in some obviously
>> unbalanced individuals, personal attacks, repetitive agenda posting,
>> public meltdowns, and the inevitable detour into political arguments,
>> and these newsgroups became unusable for purpose."
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/zzw4ar/subject_matter_newsgroups_threading_the_needle/
>>
>I could put you in touch with someone who's invented a free-energy
>device - it's not just a perpetual motion machine; all he needs is some
>investment to get going.

YOu're a bit late, fella.

At Earth's equator, the speed of Earth's spin (free energy/perpetual
motion) is about 1,000 miles per hour.

The problem now is how to harness that energy.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Subject matter newsgroups: Threading the needle between arcanery and kookery