"Joy is wealth and love is the legal tender of the soul." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

computers / comp.periphs.printers / Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?Julie Denges
`- Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?Animatronix

1
Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

<20e09589-712b-4469-b5e1-754b22b93ae4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=170&group=comp.periphs.printers#170

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 06:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?
From: julie.denges@gmail.com (Julie Denges)
 by: Julie Denges - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:01 UTC

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:53:07 AM UTC-6, GSalisbury wrote:
> "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

> >> I certainly haven't found anything in the owner's manual, which is why I
> >> was asking here.
> >>
> >> It's so seldom that I need to print anything on that printer -- which is
> >> located in a different room from the laser printer that we use most of
> >> the time, and which is now powered via a WiFi-controlled outlet, so
> >> other people can turn it on when they want to print, rather than having
> >> to leave their desk twice, once to turn the printer on and once to
> >> collect their printouts -- that I was hoping to avoid having it switched
> >> on the whole time and using power unnecessarily.
> >
> >> ==========================================================
> >> First I don't have (never have had) any kind of an Epson Printer but, out
> >> of curiosity, I put Epson WF-4630 into a google search and followed an
> >> epson.com hit.
> >> It's too long - I didn't bother copying it and don't have a "make short".
> >> The User Manual there sure has what seems to me to have a number of power
> >> control options including wi-fi - the implication is, after appropriate
> >> setup, sending something to the printer can turn it on and off as needed.
> >> Have you googled? (You never said whether you did or didn't.)
> >> At this juncture I would consider auto-power-on a standard feature that
> >> virtually all ordinary printers/MFU's would support.
> >> I have (and had) older Canon inkjets that support auto power-on/off.
> >> The epson site is probably your best resource (said something about a
> >> firmware update as well).
> >
> > Yes, I had searched on line for any relevant information, and I had
> > searched the electronic version of the manual. There are many options
> > for setting delays before the printer goes to sleep or powers off, but I
> > see nothing about being able to wake it up from "off."
> >
> > I guess I just have to decide whether I want it to keep it "asleep"
> > (1.8W) rather than "off" (0.3W).
> >
> > Perce
> > =====================================
> > Not looking to belabor the point but you could, of course, pose the
> > question on the Epson Site for an "authoritative<g>" response.
> >
> > But in my mind it's still an ordinary enough function that, with the
> > power-off settings, implies that it will power-on - but of I could be way
> > off base.
> > Set the power-off profile that fits yours and leave the printer turned on.
> > Do something else then print and see what happens.
>
> I did just have a chat session with Epson support, and they tell me that
> even from "sleep" mode it's impossible to print. So the only benefit of
> "sleep" mode, I guess, is that it will "wake up" when the button is
> pressed more quickly than when it was off.
>
> Perce
> =====================
> Oh well - we tried.
> I have an older Canon Pixma IP3000 Inkjet plugged into a USB Port on the
> router and it auto-powers on/off.
> Convenient.
> [...]

If anyone is interested I have found a solution... but you need a robot. I use the switchbot. I realize this is years later but if I stumbled upon this it may come in handy for others. Have fun!

Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

<26cdbc91-20d8-4034-b59c-3c4f3c6ea9ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.periphs.printers#334

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:10:27 -0800 (PST)
From: vinceandrei.rotoni@gmail.com (Animatronix)
 by: Animatronix - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:10 UTC

oh man, I wasn't expecting someone was dealing with the same problem but gave another way of a solution instead....
however, the device you mentioned is very familiar to me anyways but unfortunately its not available in my country.