The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Searching for emailprovider

SubjectAuthor
* Searching for emailproviderRichard Owlett
+* Searching for emailproviderArlene S. Peters
|+- Searching for emailproviderRichard Owlett
|`- Searching for emailproviderNuno Silva
+* Searching for emailproviderbob
|+- Searching for emailproviderAnt
|`- Searching for emailproviderRichard Owlett
+* Searching for emailproviderDaniel65
|`* Searching for emailproviderRichard Owlett
| `- Searching for emailproviderDaniel65
+- Searching for emailproviderDavid E. Ross
`* Searching for emailproviderXander
 `- Searching for emailproviderRichard Owlett

1
Searching for emailprovider

<DaydneEilPIKCqv5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#334

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Subject: Searching for emailprovider
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 06:35:51 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:35 UTC

Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].

I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
thing as a free lunch ;]

How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?

TIA

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u17118$33od3$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#336

Followup: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
From: arlene.s.peters@gmail.com (Arlene S. Peters)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Searching for emailprovider
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 20:29:06 +0100
 by: Arlene S. Peters - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:29 UTC

On 12/04/2023 12:35, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>
> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
> thing as a free lunch ;]
>
> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>
> TIA

I am assuming that you are using your own domain for email so there are
many facilities for you to do.

1) You can use free services from Microsoft (Hotmail, Outlook) or Google
(gmail) and use your domain email to send and receive emails. Let me
know if you want to know how to do this.

2) You can use Email Hosting Services provided by many hosting companies
For example try NameCheap <https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/> -
It doesn't have to be in SW Missouri. Why specifically in SW Missouri?

Personally, I prefer to use the first option because there are no
restrictions and you can continue using email clients (SM, TB, OL or
whatever you prefer) to send and receive emails.

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u16fbi$32bj5$1@rjf7r.motzarella.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#338

From: rjf@tiac.net (bob)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:31:14 -0400
 by: bob - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:31 UTC

On 4/12/2023 7:35 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email and
> web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>
> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such thing
> as a free lunch ;]
>
> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>
> TIA

Earthlink

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<UIGdnV03sv7iRqv5nZ2dnZfqnPsAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#340

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:25:35 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:25 UTC

bob <rjf@tiac.net> wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 7:35 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email and
> > web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
> >
> > I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> > I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such thing
> > as a free lunch ;]
> >
> > How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> Earthlink

EarthLink isn't that good anymore. :(
--
"Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. Perhaps the LORD God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph." --Amos 5:15. Will hump day be quiet even though minor unexpectations (5h of Z, ELN, colony, etc.) came up?
| |o o| |

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u18a7q$aedk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=342&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#342

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 17:16:10 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 07:16 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote on 12/4/23 9:35 pm:
> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>
> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
> thing as a free lunch ;]
>
> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>
> TIA

Richard, did you think to ask your current/previous provider for some
suggestions??
--
Daniel

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<y42cnZ4J9p4HVKr5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=344&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#344

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 04:21:29 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:21 UTC

On 04/13/2023 02:16 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote on 12/4/23 9:35 pm:
>> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
>> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>>
>> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
>> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
>> thing as a free lunch ;]
>>
>> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>>
>> TIA
>>
> Richard, did you think to ask your current/previous provider for some
> suggestions??

Yepp. Same day as as I received their notice ;}
They are a small local company whom I've watched grow and evolve over
the last thirty years. They started as a small computer store which
moved to support local small businesses rather than individual retail
customers such as myself. I expect a reply within the next week.
Thanks.

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<y42cnZkJ9p6sV6r5nZ2dnZfqn_YAAAAA@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=345&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#345

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 04:24:01 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:24 UTC

On 04/12/2023 09:31 AM, bob wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 7:35 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
>> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>>
>> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
>> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
>> thing as a free lunch ;]
>>
>> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>  Earthlink

They seem to be a traditional ISP. I want only an email provider.

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u18jmt$bov6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=347&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#347

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 19:57:46 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:57 UTC

Richard Owlett wrote on 13/4/23 7:21 pm:
> On 04/13/2023 02:16 AM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> Richard Owlett wrote on 12/4/23 9:35 pm:
>>> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their
>>> email and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being
>>> an ISP].
>>>
>>> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email
>>> client. I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e.
>>> There is no such thing as a free lunch ;]
>>>
>>> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>> Richard, did you think to ask your current/previous provider for
>> some suggestions??
>
> Yepp. Same day as as I received their notice ;} They are a small
> local company whom I've watched grow and evolve over the last thirty
> years. They started as a small computer store which moved to support
> local small businesses rather than individual retail customers such
> as myself. I expect a reply within the next week. Thanks.

DejaView!! I started Internet in 1996 with a (then) local Internet
provider, as in I actually went to their shop several times, then to
their farm when they closed the shop!! I've still got Ross' personal
phone number!!

They closed the ISP business a couple of years ago (hence my move) to
focus more on their Electronics Design and Installation business! Or was
it to concentrate on Retirement?? I've still got them on IRC, though!!
--
Daniel

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<W6icnY3PbI7oRar5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=348&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#348

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 05:24:53 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:24 UTC

On 04/12/2023 02:29 PM, Arlene S. Peters wrote:
> On 12/04/2023 12:35, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
>> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>>
>> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
>> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
>> thing as a free lunch ;]
>>
>> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> I am assuming that you are using your own domain for email so there are
> many facilities for you to do.
>
> 1) You can use free services from Microsoft (Hotmail, Outlook) or Google
> (gmail) and use your domain email to send and receive emails. Let me
> know if you want to know how to do this.
>
> 2) You can use Email Hosting Services provided by many hosting companies
> For example try NameCheap <https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/> -
> It doesn't have to be in SW Missouri. Why specifically in SW Missouri?
>
> Personally, I prefer to use the first option because there are no
> restrictions and you can continue using email clients (SM, TB, OL or
> whatever you prefer) to send and receive emails.

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u19bl7$12cvc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=352&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#352

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:46:30 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 16:46 UTC

On 4/12/2023 4:35 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>
> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
> thing as a free lunch ;]
>
> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>
> TIA

Initially, I subscribed to my phone company's ISP service. I figured
they were in the communications business so they must know what they
were doing. WRONG!!

I then subscribed to a great local ISP whose facility was only 3 miles
from my home. All their technical support was provided from that
location. Suddenly they decided they wanted only commercial customers,
not consumer customers. They offloaded me to a different ISP that
imposed too many restrictions on my Web site.

I then subscribed to the service from my cable TV company, not as a
full-service ISP but merely to obtain broad-band connection to the
Internet. They insisted that I had to use their domain in my E-mail
address instead of my existing personalized domain, so I found a
regional full-service ISP that -- being not in my area -- could not
provide connection to the Internet but allowed me to use my own domain.
They also provided technical support from within the U.S.

That is the arrangement I have now, connecting to the Internet via
Spectrum but using Sunset.net (part of Great Basin Internet Services) to
host my E-mail and Web site. Spectrum seems to increase their fees
monthly for both TV and Internet. Unless I have an antenna on my roof
(which I do not want), my only alternative is AT&T, which does not
provide the speed of Spectrum. On the other hand, Sunset.net is
inexpensive and has not increased their fees in years.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u1gbve$2fltu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=365&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#365

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:34:54 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 08:34 UTC

On 2023-04-12, Arlene S. Peters wrote:

> I am assuming that you are using your own domain for email so there
> are many facilities for you to do.
>
> 1) You can use free services from Microsoft (Hotmail, Outlook) or
> Google (gmail) and use your domain email to send and receive
> emails. Let me know if you want to know how to do this.

If you choose to use Microsoft e-mail services, be aware that this may
especially impact delivery of messages to the mailboxes. And, in such a
setup, check the "Quarantine" feature frequently, as it's the black hole
where at least some filtered e-mails go to.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<u1h1ss$2j216$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=369&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#369

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:49:00 -0500
 by: Xander - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:49 UTC

I've used Fastmail for two years. It's very simple and works perfectly
with SeaMonkey's email client.

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Last week my email provider notified me they were retiring their email
> and web hosting services [years ago they had ceased being an ISP].
>
> I wish to continue using SeaMonkey as a plaintext POP email client.
> I tend to prefer services I explicitly pay for [i.e. There is no such
> thing as a free lunch ;]
>
> How do I search for such a service [preferably in SW Missouri]?
>
> TIA

Re: Searching for emailprovider

<6N-cndZTi4CNp6D5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=376&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#376

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: rowlett@cloud85.net (Richard Owlett)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 07:22:39 -0500
 by: Richard Owlett - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:22 UTC

Thank you.
A Wikipedia article and several online reviews leave a generally
favorable impression of Fastmail.

*HOWEVER*, www.fastmail.com is very annoying for a tri-focal wearing
senior citizen to use. It serves as an excellent example of why I browse
with JavaScript disabled ;{

One review states that a working mobile phone number is required.
That would be a killer. Smartphones are not viable for me due to my
vision problems. I also need a full size keyboard.

Is there an alternative.
TIA