7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Zoom Updates

SubjectAuthor
* Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross
+* Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
|`* Re: Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross
| `* Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
|  +* Re: Zoom UpdatesG.Salisbury
|  |+- Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
|  |`* Re: Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross
|  | `* Re: Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross
|  |  `* Re: Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross
|  |   `* Re: Zoom UpdatesG.Salisbury
|  |    `* Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
|  |     `* Re: Zoom UpdatesG.Salisbury
|  |      `- Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
|  `* Re: Zoom UpdatesMayayana
|   `- Re: Zoom UpdatesVanguardLH
`- Re: Zoom UpdatesDavid E. Ross

1
Zoom Updates

<sne6oe$18mp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3146&group=alt.windows7.general#3146

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Zoom Updates
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 11:30:21 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 19:30 UTC

Does anyone know how to disable automatic updates of the Zoom application?

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Zoom Updates

<au3dkc3uow4x$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3147&group=alt.windows7.general#3147

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Zoom Updates
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:07:59 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 21:07 UTC

"David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to disable automatic updates of the Zoom application?

https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom%20update%20disable

Re: Zoom Updates

<snej9g$j0k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3148&group=alt.windows7.general#3148

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:04:16 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:04 UTC

On 11/21/2021 1:07 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> "David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to disable automatic updates of the Zoom application?
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom%20update%20disable

I could not use the Group Policy method. Zoom does not appear there.

I am using the registry tweak method. I will report back here with any
results.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

Re: Zoom Updates

<tz4vu8489gw0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3150&group=alt.windows7.general#3150

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:06:24 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:06 UTC

"David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> "David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how to disable automatic updates of the Zoom application?
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom%20update%20disable
>
> I could not use the Group Policy method. Zoom does not appear there.
>
> I am using the registry tweak method. I will report back here with any
> results.

*All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
online search was at thewindowsclub.com, and gave instructions on how to
add the policy via registry editing (regedit).

Re: Zoom Updates

<sngt68$ip3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3151&group=alt.windows7.general#3151

From: NotMe@gmail.com (G.Salisbury)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:05:28 -0500
 by: G.Salisbury - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:05 UTC

On 11/22/2021 11:06 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> "David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom%20update%20disable
>>
>> I could not use the Group Policy method. Zoom does not appear there.
>>
>> I am using the registry tweak method. I will report back here with any
>> results.
>
> *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
> online search was at thewindowsclub.com, and gave instructions on how to
> add the policy via registry editing (regedit).

FWIW,

I did a google on "automatic zoom updates" and among the hits was a link
to:
https://jgillondrums.com/blog/f/zoom-client-how-to-disable-automatic-updates-windows

On it was a link to d/l a ZoomDisableUpdate.zip - I did that.

The zip file contains a ZoomDisableUpdate.reg file.
That contains a regedit line
"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom Meetings\General]
"EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"

I haven't applied it but it seems pretty straight-forward.
G.Salisbury
Long Valley, NJ

Re: Zoom Updates

<i38tyascag4d$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3152&group=alt.windows7.general#3152

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:03:04 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:03 UTC

"G.Salisbury" <NotMe@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> I could not use the Group Policy method. Zoom does not appear there.

The policy editor does not exist in Home editions of Windows. Since you
don't have the policy editor, how could you see the Zoom policy was
there, or not?

>>> I am using the registry tweak method. I will report back here with
>>> any results.

Yep, for Home edition users, they have to edit the registry to define
the policies. Note that some policies cannot be defined via registry
edits, but most can. Some policies get a crypto-hash assigned to them
by the policy editor. There's no way for you to call the crypto API
when using regedit.exe to edit the registry. In this case, the Zoom
update policy is not hashed, and is instead a simple entry like are most
policies defined in the registry.

>> *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
>> online search was at thewindowsclub.com, and gave instructions on how to
>> add the policy via registry editing (regedit).
>
> I did a google on "automatic zoom updates" and among the hits was a
> link to:
>
> https://jgillondrums.com/blog/f/zoom-client-how-to-disable-automatic-updates-windows
>
> On it was a link to d/l a ZoomDisableUpdate.zip - I did that.
>
> The zip file contains a ZoomDisableUpdate.reg file.
> That contains:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom Meetings\General]
> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"
>
> I haven't applied it but it seems pretty straight-forward.

That .reg file applies only to the Windows account under which you are
logged under when you modify the registry. The registry entry is under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. That's your user hive for the Windows account under
which you logged into. There are per-user policies, and global, or
machine, policies that apply accross all users.

If you want the Zoom auto-update enabled/disabled only for your Windows
account, you're done editing the registry. If you want the Zoom auto-
updates enabled/disabled for all Windows accounts, including Guest,
Administrator, your account, and all other Windows accounts, you have to
define the policy under the HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) hive.

The article you found (which is obviously not at thewindowsclub.com that
I noted) only gives half the solution: just for the Windows account
under which you were logged into when you edited under the HKCU hive.
If that's all you care about, you're done disabling Zoom's auto-update
for your Windows account. If you edit the HKLM/Policies key, you'd
disable Zoom auto-update in all Windows accounts, including your own.

Re: Zoom Updates

<snhekc$arp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3153&group=alt.windows7.general#3153

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:03:06 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 01:03 UTC

On 11/22/2021 12:05 PM, G.Salisbury wrote:
> On 11/22/2021 11:06 AM, VanguardLH wrote:

>>> I could not use the Group Policy method. Zoom does not appear there.
>>>
>>> I am using the registry tweak method. I will report back here with any
>>> results.
>>
>> *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
>> online search was at thewindowsclub.com, and gave instructions on how to
>> add the policy via registry editing (regedit).
>>
> FWIW,
>
> I did a google on "automatic zoom updates" and among the hits was a link
> to:
> https://jgillondrums.com/blog/f/zoom-client-how-to-disable-automatic-updates-windows
>
> On it was a link to d/l a ZoomDisableUpdate.zip - I did that.
>
> The zip file contains a ZoomDisableUpdate.reg file.
> That contains a regedit line
> "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom Meetings\General]
> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"
>
> I haven't applied it but it seems pretty straight-forward.
> G.Salisbury
> Long Valley, NJ

Yesterday, I setup
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\General]
"EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
which means I supposedly blocked automatic updates globally (per
Vanguard's reply). Today, I added
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom
Meetings\General]
"EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000

An update is pending for 28 November. I will report in this thread what
happens then.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Zoom Updates

<sniohl$lvg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3154&group=alt.windows7.general#3154

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:58:38 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 12:58 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
| online search was at thewindowsclub.com

It's best to just post the link in the first place. Google
returns links based on what they know about you. If you're
enabling script that's probably quite a bit. So someone
else may not see search results that are anything like yours.
....And some of us like to avoid Google altogether.

Re: Zoom Updates

<seker937nc07.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3155&group=alt.windows7.general#3155

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:53:53 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 05:53 UTC

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
>
>| *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
>| online search was at thewindowsclub.com
>
> It's best to just post the link in the first place. Google
> returns links based on what they know about you. If you're
> enabling script that's probably quite a bit. So someone
> else may not see search results that are anything like yours.
> ...And some of us like to avoid Google altogether.

My first reply was basically, "Yes, Google knows". If David had looked
first, he wouldn't have asked here.

He still didn't bother to do his own research (or did not mention he
did), so in my second reply I added the article *I* read was at
thewindowsclub.com, so that would severely limit the matches on a
search.

Maybe something was better than what I found. There are so many related
articles that it would be hard to miss a good one in a general search
using just the criteria that I specified.

By the way, I did the same search on "zoom update disable" using Google,
Startpage, and DDG, and thewindowsclub.com article was the first one
listed in each search. Hard to get away from that hit. Bing was the
only one that buried the useful articles after a pile of forum noise,
but thewindowsclub.com was in the 2nd page of hits.

Re: Zoom Updates

<so309l$1b1d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3167&group=alt.windows7.general#3167

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:48:52 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:48 UTC

On 11/22/2021 5:03 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/22/2021 12:05 PM, G.Salisbury wrote:

>>> *All* policies are registry entries. The first article I found in the
>>> online search was at thewindowsclub.com, and gave instructions on how to
>>> add the policy via registry editing (regedit).
>>>
>> FWIW,
>>
>> I did a google on "automatic zoom updates" and among the hits was a link
>> to:
>> https://jgillondrums.com/blog/f/zoom-client-how-to-disable-automatic-updates-windows
>>
>> On it was a link to d/l a ZoomDisableUpdate.zip - I did that.
>>
>> The zip file contains a ZoomDisableUpdate.reg file.
>> That contains a regedit line
>> "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom Meetings\General]
>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"
>>
>> I haven't applied it but it seems pretty straight-forward.
>> G.Salisbury
>> Long Valley, NJ
>>

> Yesterday, I setup
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\General]
> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
> which means I supposedly blocked automatic updates globally (per
> Vanguard's reply). Today, I added
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom
> Meetings\General]
> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
>
> An update is pending for 28 November. I will report in this thread what
> happens then.

The 28 November update does not test this because it is a "manual
update", not a "prompted update". I will monitor the pending updates
for a future test.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

Re: Zoom Updates

<sodhga$af7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3178&group=alt.windows7.general#3178

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 08:43:54 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:43 UTC

On 11/29/2021 8:48 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/22/2021 5:03 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> FWIW,
>>>
>>> I did a google on "automatic zoom updates" and among the hits was a link
>>> to:
>>> https://jgillondrums.com/blog/f/zoom-client-how-to-disable-automatic-updates-windows
>>>
>>> On it was a link to d/l a ZoomDisableUpdate.zip - I did that.
>>>
>>> The zip file contains a ZoomDisableUpdate.reg file.
>>> That contains a regedit line
>>> "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>
>>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom Meetings\General]
>>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000"
>>>
>>> I haven't applied it but it seems pretty straight-forward.
>>> G.Salisbury
>>> Long Valley, NJ
>>>

>> Yesterday, I setup
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\General]
>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
>> which means I supposedly blocked automatic updates globally (per
>> Vanguard's reply). Today, I added
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom
>> Meetings\General]
>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
>>
>> An update is pending for 28 November. I will report in this thread what
>> happens then.
>>

> The 28 November update does not test this because it is a "manual
> update", not a "prompted update". I will monitor the pending updates
> for a future test.

I manually installed the 28 November update -- version 5.8.6.2048 --
when I was good and ready. I can at least report, it did NOT change the
registry entries for Zoom policy.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

Re: Zoom Updates

<sodjn8$8eb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3179&group=alt.windows7.general#3179

From: NotMe@gmail.com (G.Salisbury)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 12:21:43 -0500
 by: G.Salisbury - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:21 UTC

On 12/3/2021 11:43 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/29/2021 8:48 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Yesterday, I setup
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\General]
>>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
>>> which means I supposedly blocked automatic updates globally (per
>>> Vanguard's reply). Today, I added
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Zoom\Zoom
>>> Meetings\General]
>>> "EnableClientAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
>>>
>>> An update is pending for 28 November. I will report in this thread what
>>> happens then.
>>>

>> The 28 November update does not test this because it is a "manual
>> update", not a "prompted update". I will monitor the pending updates
>> for a future test.
>>

> I manually installed the 28 November update -- version 5.8.6.2048 --
> when I was good and ready. I can at least report, it did NOT change the
> registry entries for Zoom policy.

Thanks for the update notices.
I'd been getting the Auto-Zoom updates on my computer at work.
I hadn't gotten around to applying the registry line there.
I will now with somewhat more confidence.
Thx.
G. Salisbury
L.V., NJ

Re: Zoom Updates

<19y25rqwa64ft$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3180&group=alt.windows7.general#3180

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 20:05:02 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 02:05 UTC

"G.Salisbury" <NotMe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/3/2021 11:43 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> The 28 November update does not test this because it is a "manual
>>> update", not a "prompted update". I will monitor the pending updates
>>> for a future test.
>>>

>> I manually installed the 28 November update -- version 5.8.6.2048 --
>> when I was good and ready. I can at least report, it did NOT change the
>> registry entries for Zoom policy.
>>

> Thanks for the update notices.
> I'd been getting the Auto-Zoom updates on my computer at work.
> I hadn't gotten around to applying the registry line there.
> I will now with somewhat more confidence.
> Thx.
> G. Salisbury
> L.V., NJ

If your company allows or even recommends use of Zoom, like for their
own conferences, you editing the registry entries for policies might not
work. In a domain setup, policies get pushed when you login.

Re: Zoom Updates

<sofrp4$p0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3184&group=alt.windows7.general#3184

From: NotMe@gmail.com (G.Salisbury)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 08:51:31 -0500
 by: G.Salisbury - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 13:51 UTC

On 12/3/2021 9:05 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> "G.Salisbury" <NotMe@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I manually installed the 28 November update -- version 5.8.6.2048 --
>>> when I was good and ready. I can at least report, it did NOT change the
>>> registry entries for Zoom policy.
>>>

>> Thanks for the update notices.
>> I'd been getting the Auto-Zoom updates on my computer at work.
>> I hadn't gotten around to applying the registry line there.
>> I will now with somewhat more confidence.
>> Thx.
>> G. Salisbury
>> L.V., NJ
>
> If your company allows or even recommends use of Zoom, like for their
> own conferences, you editing the registry entries for policies might not
> work. In a domain setup, policies get pushed when you login.

Yes I'm aware of that.
In my situation I can pretty much manage on my own.
We use Zoom, no doubt, to some degree but I virtually never - we'll see.
G.

Re: Zoom Updates

<19qq2171jmtiz$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3192&group=alt.windows7.general#3192

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 15:08:32 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:08 UTC

"G.Salisbury" <NotMe@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> If your company allows or even recommends use of Zoom, like for their
>> own conferences, you editing the registry entries for policies might not
>> work. In a domain setup, policies get pushed when you login.
>
> Yes I'm aware of that. In my situation I can pretty much manage on my
> own. We use Zoom, no doubt, to some degree but I virtually never -
> we'll see.

Something you can ask the doman admin is to get your corporate account
to have admin privileges on your own workstation. Most times they
won't, because they prefer to manage permissions by group, class of
employee, or department instead of a mess of managing individual
accounts. Once you get admin permits to your own workstation, you can
add .reg files to your startup, like "regedit.exe /s <regfile>" that
undo corporate policies.

Re: Zoom Updates

<spquh4$1osj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3331&group=alt.windows7.general#3331

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:02:12 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:02 UTC

On 11/21/2021 11:30 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> Does anyone know how to disable automatic updates of the Zoom application?

The 20 December update does not test the fix suggested by VanguardLH on
22 November because the update is a "manual update", not a "prompted