From: bencollver@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: things that Turbo Pascal is smaller than
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:05:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 20:05 UTC

# Things That Turbo Pascal is Smaller Than

Turbo Pascal 3 for MS-DOS was released in September 1986. Being
version 3, there were lesser releases prior to it and flashier ones
after, but 3 was a solid representation of the Turbo Pascal
experience: a full Pascal compiler, including extensions that it made
it practical for commercial use, tightly integrated with an editor.
And the whole thing was lightning fast, orders of magnitude faster at
building projects than Microsoft's compilers.

The entire Turbo Pascal 3.02 executable--the compiler and IDE--was
39,731 bytes. How does that stack up in 2011 terms? Here are some
things that Turbo Pascal is smaller than, as of October 30, 2011:

The minified version of jquery 1.6 (90,518 bytes).

The yahoo.com home page (219,583 bytes).

The image of the white iPhone 4S at apple.com (190,157 bytes).

zlib.h in the Mac OS X Lion SDK (80,504 bytes).

The touch command under OS X Lion (44,016 bytes).

Various vim quick reference cards as PDFs. (This one is 47,508 bytes.)

The compiled code for the Erlang R14B02 parser (erl_parse.beam,
286,324 bytes).

The Wikipedia page for C++ (214,251 bytes).

From: https://prog21.dadgum.com/116.html

Re: things that Turbo Pascal is smaller than

<Nb2mN.61360$i529.28584@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=comp.misc#3322

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Subject: Re: things that Turbo Pascal is smaller than
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 01:39:57 GMT
 by: Retrograde - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:39 UTC

On 2024-01-05, Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote:
> # Things That Turbo Pascal is Smaller Than
> The entire Turbo Pascal 3.02 executable--the compiler and IDE--was
> 39,731 bytes. How does that stack up in 2011 terms? Here are some
> things that Turbo Pascal is smaller than, as of October 30, 2011:

What a great article. I think about this a lot. My first personal
computer was a PIII Coppermine (555Mhz) with 64MB of RAM, which I
upgraded to 128. I used it for a lot of the same things I use my modern
laptop for. My first flashdrive was 128MB, which was plenty big for
what I was using it for in 2003. I used to carry an entire college
course-load's assignments on a 3.5" floppy disk. And so on.

On the other hand, I personally weighed a decent 30 lbs less back in
2003, so maybe everything is expanding naturally, like gas in a bottle,
or the universe.

I sure am glad for unicode, Google Earth, and a lot of other advances
though, and wouldn't go back to the dial-up internet I used on that
Coppermine for anything in the world.