The clothes have no emperor. -- C. A. R. Hoare, commenting on ADA.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

SubjectAuthor
* New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210bilsch01
+* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210azigni
|`* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210azigni
| `* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210bilsch01
|  `- Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210Dan Purgert
`* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210stepore
 `* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210azigni
  `* Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210stepore
   +- Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210azigni
   `- Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210Jonathan N. Little

1
New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<u2q3ao$jp6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3318

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 21:24:49 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Tue, 2 May 2023 04:24 UTC

Installed Ubuntu 20.04 and same Xerox B210 printer driver I had used on
previous build of 20.04 on same PC. The driver seemed to install ok. But
when I try to print a file nothing prints and the following message
appears in the 'settings' tab for the printer:

‘Xerox_B210_XRX9C934eACA744_’:’cups-pki-expired’

I googled that and found some discussions, but no info that I can use.

Any suggestions?
TIA Bill S.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<dG04M.46016$qjm2.42980@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3319

Subject: Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 22:52:25 -0600
 by: azigni - Tue, 2 May 2023 04:52 UTC

I found these on the web.

@andrejpodzimek

Your lsusb -v output shows

bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 4

It is an IPP-over-USb device. Please read
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting, particularly sections
13, 14 and 15. I am not familiar with the packages supplied by Arch but
would suggest installing ipp-usb and setting up a print queue as
follows:lpadmin -p testq -v ipp://... -E -m everywhere.

--
Brian.

I found the following solution:

found the port to which the printer is connected
ls /dev/usb*
hiddev0 lp1
when adding the printer, specified the path to the device URI:
parallel:/dev/usb/lp1

The printer is working!

@andrejpodzimek

Your lsusb -v output shows

bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 4

It is an IPP-over-USb device. Please read
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting, particularly sections
13, 14 and 15. I am not familiar with the packages supplied by Arch but
would suggest installing ipp-usb and setting up a print queue as
follows:lpadmin -p testq -v ipp://... -E -m everywhere.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<hP04M.1689114$MVg8.1410219@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3320&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3320

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 23:02:05 -0600
 by: azigni - Tue, 2 May 2023 05:02 UTC

Fwiw, I have a Brother that was a pain to connect lately. Here is what I
ended up with in cups:

Connection:
dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2370DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-b4220062cb55

ymmv.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<u2sfp0$147tb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3322

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 19:09:36 -0700
 by: stepore - Wed, 3 May 2023 02:09 UTC

On 5/1/23 21:24, bilsch01 wrote:
> Installed Ubuntu 20.04 and same Xerox B210 printer driver I had used on
> previous build of 20.04 on same PC. The driver seemed to install ok. But
> when I try to print a file nothing prints and the following message
> appears in the 'settings' tab for the printer:
>
> ‘Xerox_B210_XRX9C934eACA744_’:’cups-pki-expired’
>
> I googled that and found some discussions, but no info that I can use.
>
> Any suggestions?

Are printers still a thing? Really!?
Not sure last time I've used one. Even at work. 10 years at least.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<9wl4M.1648016$t5W7.301718@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3323&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3323

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 22:35:16 -0600
 by: azigni - Wed, 3 May 2023 04:35 UTC

On 5/2/23 8:09 PM, stepore wrote
> Are printers still a thing? Really!?
> Not sure last time I've used one. Even at work. 10 years at least.

For me they are. I teach English as a second language, often tailoring
lessons to the student. For one student and myself, two copies of every
lesson need to be printed. Not to mention copies of supplemental
materials which are printed.

At times, I have had myself and three students, or four copies, so
printing is important to me.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<u2v4g5$1l2rf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3324&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3324

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:15:32 -0700
 by: stepore - Thu, 4 May 2023 02:15 UTC

On 5/2/23 21:35, azigni wrote:
> For me they are. I teach English as a second language, often tailoring
> lessons to the student. For one student and myself, two copies of every
> lesson need to be printed. Not to mention copies of supplemental
> materials which are printed.
>
> At times, I have had myself and three students, or four copies, so
> printing is important to me.

Please forgive the obvious question. Why/how isn't this doable
electronically? I assume computing devices are not used in your work place?

I understand my last schooling was at university and it was in the tech
field, so I may have been more fortunate. But that was about 15 years
ago and I didn't print (much, if at all) then either. Last 10 years...
not even one page printed. I guess I'm lucky to be able to do absolutely
everything electronically.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<YhH4M.2526723$iS99.696744@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3325&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3325

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 23:21:59 -0600
 by: azigni - Thu, 4 May 2023 05:21 UTC

On 5/3/23 8:15 PM, stepore wrote:
> Please forgive the obvious question. Why/how isn't this doable
> electronically? I assume computing devices are not used  in your work
> place?

The first two problems are Linux itself and printer manufacturers.

Not all computers and flavors of Linux are compatible with as many
printers as possible. Windows today is more like Linux used to be for
hardware compatibility when any old junk was good.

For example when I bought my new desktop last December, there was only
one Linux distribution I found that played well with both my network and
my printer. Three months later compatibility was a non issue, and I went
back to my favorite Linux flavor.

Not all printer manufactures and their printer models support Linux.
Manufacturers may have some printers that are Linux friendly, but other
models are not.

After a few years, as in the case of my printer, manufacturers quit
providing updated drivers and other support for Linux with their older
printers.

No available Linux printer drivers leaves with Cups. In my case I had to
try various options to determine which option worked.

I had three main options using Cups with my printer on the network. The
first option printed a few characters on the top of the page and ejected
the sheet. A second option spewed paper with no printing. A third option
performed properly. I stopped at this point.

I am guessing OP (as myself) is a home user which means we are our own
IT support. This is where problems generally start. What to do to get
something working.

Some people who post here are new to Linux and post looking for help,
lacking the knowledge of knowing where to look or what to do. For
example, downloading and installing Linux printer drivers - if available
- or acting as Cups Admin is beyond their knowledge base or skill level.

In the workplace this is not an issue. IT works out the problem and
determines the best solutions which may be buying new printers that are
supported for use with Linux.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<u30u9m$1uipr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3326&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3326

From: lws4art@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 14:41:29 -0400
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Thu, 4 May 2023 18:41 UTC

stepore wrote:
> Please forgive the obvious question. Why/how isn't this doable
> electronically? I assume computing devices are not used  in your work
> place?

Well I can give you some reasons especially with respect to business.
Going "paperless" is great but has not replaced all printed documents.
Paper works when there is no power. Print on paper does not, for the
most part, come encoded in proprietary formats that can go obsolete.
Paper documents have lasted millennia.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<u3j3ch$14ve2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3335&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3335

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 08:59:04 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Thu, 11 May 2023 15:59 UTC

On 5/1/2023 10:02 PM, azigni wrote:
> Fwiw, I have a Brother that was a pain to connect lately. Here is what I
> ended up with in cups:
>
> Connection:
> dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2370DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-b4220062cb55
>
> ymmv.

Thank you for the information.

Something else I thought of: When I installed the Xerox B210 I was asked
a question like:
"should printer be available on a network?" - something like that.
I mistakenly answered NO. That was the wrong answer because the B210 is
connected to a wireless router with an ethernet cable. Now I have
removed the B210 in Ubuntu 'settings' panel, then added the B210 back
on, hoping that would eliminate my 'wrong answer' about network. But I
suspect my original 'wrong answer' may still be in the system, and that
is the cause of the problem. I'm not confident that removing B210 in the
settings panel removes my erroneous network information. I think
something more is needed. I have looked but can't find the network
setting - therefore I can't correct it. I think a linux guru might know
a where to find, view and change this setting.
Does anyone know how to do that?
TIA. Bill S.

Re: New Ubu install but can't print to Xerox B210

<slrnu5s0vb.t5.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3336&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3336

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 09:15:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:15 UTC

On 2023-05-11, bilsch01 wrote:
> On 5/1/2023 10:02 PM, azigni wrote:
>> Fwiw, I have a Brother that was a pain to connect lately. Here is what I
>> ended up with in cups:
>>
>> Connection:
>> dnssd://Brother%20HL-L2370DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-b4220062cb55
>>
>> ymmv.
>
> Thank you for the information.
>
> Something else I thought of: When I installed the Xerox B210 I was asked
> a question like:
> "should printer be available on a network?" - something like that.

That's just your local installation of CUPS asking you if you want your
Linux box to share the printer to the network (i.e. the PC is the
print server). This is only "necessary" if the printer was directly
attached to your PC via USB.

A network-connected printer is perfectly fine being told
"no", as it is already "shared to the network" by virtue of it having
its own ethernet / wifi card.

--
|_|O|_|