What hath Bob wrought?

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?bilsch01
+* Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?philo
|`* Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?Mike Easter
| `* Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?Mike Easter
|  `- Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?philo
`* Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?Robert Risk
 +- Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?bilsch01
 `- Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?Adam

1
OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<u0nsbk$lgls$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3273&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3273

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 18:40:27 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 01:40 UTC

I been using eternal-september many years but haven't tried to subscribe
to a new group in a long time, until today. I think there are many fewer
groups, and the ones I subscribed today didn't have any messages.
I was looking for a group about libreoffice or openoffice but there were
few groups, and no messages.
TIA Bill S.

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<u0ntrg$lm91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3275&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3275

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 21:06:40 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 02:06 UTC

On 4/6/23 8:40 PM, bilsch01 wrote:
> I been using eternal-september many years but haven't tried to subscribe
> to a new group in a long time, until today. I think there are many fewer
> groups, and the ones I subscribed today didn't have any messages.
> I was looking for a group about libreoffice or openoffice but there were
> few groups, and no messages.
> TIA   Bill S.

Just found out today, one has to hit the refresh button to see them all.
If you use thunderbird, the refresh only works for that ope session and
next time you will have to hit it again

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<T0QXL.4454708$MJk2.2878761@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3277&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3277

From: rrisk@private.invalid (Robert Risk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 00:56:36 -0700
 by: Robert Risk - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 07:56 UTC

On Apr 6, 2023, bilsch01 wrote:

> OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?
> I been using eternal-september many years but haven't tried to subscribe
> to a new group in a long time, until today. I think there are many fewer
> groups, and the ones I subscribed today didn't have any messages.
> I was looking for a group about libreoffice or openoffice but there were
> few groups, and no messages.
> TIA   Bill S.

Eternal-September has fewer groups than before because it dropped all
microsoft.* groups two months ago. There is an announcement on the
www.eternal-september.org home page and a discussion thread in group
eternal-september.support.

Dropping the microsoft.* groups has nothing to do with LibreOffice or
OpenOffice.

LibreOffice discussion takes place on the LibreOffice Users mailing
list. See <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Users/Mailing_List>.
Usenet was in decline as a discussion medium from well before
LibreOffice was forked.

Eternal-September keeps messages for less than half a year (except in
de.* groups). Even if a group you seek existed back in Usenet's heyday,
there might no longer be any messages retained on Eternal-September.

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<k9g2kpF8fa6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3279&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3279

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:07:04 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:07 UTC

philo wrote:
> Just found out today, one has to hit the refresh button to see them all.
> If you use thunderbird, the refresh only works for that ope session and
> next time you will have to hit it again

That is not correct for my version of Thunderbird linux 68.10.0 (no, I
don't update unless there is some reason I choose to do so).

The newsgroup list is in hostinfo.dat in the News dir in the profile. I
recently refreshed my list Apr 6 and that is the date stamped on the file.

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<k9g56eF8r7jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3280&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3280

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:50:38 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:50 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> That is not correct for my version of Thunderbird linux 68.10.0  (no, I
> don't update unless there is some reason I choose to do so).
>
> The newsgroup list is in hostinfo.dat in the News dir in the profile.  I
> recently refreshed my list Apr 6 and that is the date stamped on the file.

I also like the Enigmail add-on v/s of Tb better than those which
aren't, if I want/need to do something w/ clearsigned msg/s.

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<u11b2i$27oep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3281&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3281

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:46:47 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:46 UTC

On 4/7/2023 12:56 AM, Robert Risk wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2023, bilsch01 wrote:
>
>> OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?
>> I been using eternal-september many years but haven't tried to subscribe
>> to a new group in a long time, until today. I think there are many fewer
>> groups, and the ones I subscribed today didn't have any messages.
>> I was looking for a group about libreoffice or openoffice but there were
>> few groups, and no messages.
>> TIA   Bill S.
>

> Eternal-September has fewer groups than before because it dropped all
> microsoft.* groups two months ago. There is an announcement on the
> www.eternal-september.org home page and a discussion thread in group
> eternal-september.support.
>
> Dropping the microsoft.* groups has nothing to do with LibreOffice or
> OpenOffice.
>
> LibreOffice discussion takes place on the LibreOffice Users mailing
> list. See <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Users/Mailing_List>.
> Usenet was in decline as a discussion medium from well before
> LibreOffice was forked.
>
> Eternal-September keeps messages for less than half a year (except in
> de.* groups). Even if a group you seek existed back in Usenet's heyday,
> there might no longer be any messages retained on Eternal-September.

Thanks Robert and Mike Easter for the good info.
Bill S.

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<u1bb9h$1goae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3282&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3282

From: philo@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 05:52:33 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:52 UTC

On 4/9/23 10:50 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> That is not correct for my version of Thunderbird linux 68.10.0  (no,
>> I don't update unless there is some reason I choose to do so).
>>
>> The newsgroup list is in hostinfo.dat in the News dir in the profile.
>> I recently refreshed my list Apr 6 and that is the date stamped on the
>> file.
>
> I also like the Enigmail add-on v/s of Tb better than those which
> aren't, if I want/need to do something w/ clearsigned msg/s.

Thunderbird is good enough for me, I'm not on Usenet anywhere near as
much as I used to be

Re: OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?

<u1k2hf$34qf0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3288&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3288

From: adam@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 11:18:23 -0700
 by: Adam - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:18 UTC

On 04/07/2023 12:56 AM, Robert Risk wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2023, bilsch01 wrote:
>
>> OT: Has eternal-september got many fewer newsgroups than before?
>> I been using eternal-september many years but haven't tried to subscribe
>> to a new group in a long time, until today. I think there are many fewer
>> groups, and the ones I subscribed today didn't have any messages.
>> I was looking for a group about libreoffice or openoffice but there were
>> few groups, and no messages.
>> TIA Bill S.
>

> Eternal-September has fewer groups than before because it dropped all
> microsoft.* groups two months ago. There is an announcement on the
> www.eternal-september.org home page and a discussion thread in group
> eternal-september.support.
>
> Dropping the microsoft.* groups has nothing to do with LibreOffice or
> OpenOffice.
>
> LibreOffice discussion takes place on the LibreOffice Users mailing
> list. See <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Users/Mailing_List>.
> Usenet was in decline as a discussion medium from well before
> LibreOffice was forked.

BOO. Long live USENET.