7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

SubjectAuthor
* Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control paneR.Wieser
+* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' justPaul
|`- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
+* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' justZaidy036
|`- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
`* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 +* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |`* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 | `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |  +* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 |  |+* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control J. P. Gilliver (John)
 |  ||`* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Frank Slootweg
 |  || `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' justKen Blake
 |  ||  `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Frank Slootweg
 |  ||   `- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' justKen Blake
 |  |`* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |  | `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 |  |  `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |  |   `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 |  |    `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |  |     `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Mayayana
 |  |      +* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Frank Slootweg
 |  |      |`- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control J. P. Gilliver (John)
 |  |      `- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 |  `* Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control Frank Slootweg
 |   `- Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control R.Wieser
 `* Very OT: grammar (was: Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my compJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  +* Re: Very OT: grammarKen Blake
  |`* Re: Very OT: grammarJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  | `- Re: Very OT: grammarKen Blake
  `* Re: Very OT: grammar (was: Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my Mayayana
   `* Re: Very OT: grammarKen Blake
    `* Re: Very OT: grammarMayayana
     `* Re: Very OT: grammarJ. P. Gilliver (John)
      `* Re: Very OT: grammarMayayana
       `* Re: Very OT: grammarKen Blake
        `- Re: Very OT: grammarSam Hill

Pages:12
Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spap17$ho$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3236&group=alt.windows7.general#3236

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:49:00 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 18:49 UTC

Hello all,

I'm in the habit of using the %TEMP% folder for - you guessed it - temporary
files. As such I would like to have quick-and-easy access to the folder.

I've got a simple shortcut to the folder in the root of my drive, but was
wondering if I could place it on a bit more central place - but not on the
desktop.

So, I got the idea of using the "system folder" method for it :

https://techforms.blogspot.com/2009/08/create-special-folder-in-windows.html

It works alright, but with one drawback : it only shows in the right pane as
the contents of the "My Computer" folder, not directly below it (as the
"Control panel" entry does).

So, my question is : does someone here have any idea how I could get the
added "Special folder" visible in the left pane (by changing tHe
"Attributes" data perhaps) ? Either as a child of "My Computer", or from
"Desktop" (but without it being present on the actual desktop!)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spat8q$al6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3238&group=alt.windows7.general#3238

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just
as 'control panel' ?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:02:31 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:02 UTC

On 12/14/2021 1:49 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the habit of using the %TEMP% folder for - you guessed it - temporary
> files. As such I would like to have quick-and-easy access to the folder.
>
> I've got a simple shortcut to the folder in the root of my drive, but was
> wondering if I could place it on a bit more central place - but not on the
> desktop.
>
> So, I got the idea of using the "system folder" method for it :
>
> https://techforms.blogspot.com/2009/08/create-special-folder-in-windows.html
>
> It works alright, but with one drawback : it only shows in the right pane as
> the contents of the "My Computer" folder, not directly below it (as the
> "Control panel" entry does).
>
> So, my question is : does someone here have any idea how I could get the
> added "Special folder" visible in the left pane (by changing tHe
> "Attributes" data perhaps) ? Either as a child of "My Computer", or from
> "Desktop" (but without it being present on the actual desktop!)
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

The only thing that comes to mind, as a Lego piece, is "subst".
I don't know if File Explorer will accept a subst letter as a left
pane item or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUBST

Paul

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spb0he$tv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3239&group=alt.windows7.general#3239

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
as 'control panel' ?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:58:21 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:58 UTC

On 12/14/2021 1:49 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the habit of using the %TEMP% folder for - you guessed it - temporary
> files. As such I would like to have quick-and-easy access to the folder.
>
> I've got a simple shortcut to the folder in the root of my drive, but was
> wondering if I could place it on a bit more central place - but not on the
> desktop.
>
> So, I got the idea of using the "system folder" method for it :
>
> https://techforms.blogspot.com/2009/08/create-special-folder-in-windows.html
>
> It works alright, but with one drawback : it only shows in the right pane as
> the contents of the "My Computer" folder, not directly below it (as the
> "Control panel" entry does).
>
> So, my question is : does someone here have any idea how I could get the
> added "Special folder" visible in the left pane (by changing tHe
> "Attributes" data perhaps) ? Either as a child of "My Computer", or from
> "Desktop" (but without it being present on the actual desktop!)
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Maybe like in Win 10 add it to Quick Access and then when right Click on
File Explorer in tool bar and it will be a choice

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spc743$atp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3240&group=alt.windows7.general#3240

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:40:03 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 07:40 UTC

Paul,

> The only thing that comes to mind, as a Lego piece, is "subst".

:-) You're bringing back memories there ...

But indeed, "subst Z: %TEMP%" does make a Z drive appear under the "My
computer" entry in the left pane. Thanks.

Now lets see if I can change that drives name to something like "Temp
folder", and perhaps change its icon too ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spc745$atp$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3241&group=alt.windows7.general#3241

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:52:24 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 07:52 UTC

Zaidy036,

> Maybe like in Win 10 add it to Quick Access and then when right Click on
> File Explorer in tool bar and it will be a choice

Thats what I have now, which has a shortcut to the temp folder in the root
of the drive I display by default.

But I would like to give the shortcut (or something similar) a bit more
prominent place, like how "Control panel" or "My Nework Places" are shown in
the left pane.

Yeah, one of those "is it possible" ideas I'm afraid. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spdc2u$9r5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3244&group=alt.windows7.general#3244

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:27:45 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:27 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote

| So, I got the idea of using the "system folder" method for it :

You might want a Namespace Extension. I'm not certain, but
I have the book VB Shell Programming and that seems to be
what it does. Frankly I'm not curious enough to explore it, but
you can. I have a shortcut to TEMP on my desktop, and I have
a VBScript for cleaning up the myriad TEMP folders on my system.
That's adequate for me.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spdgjv$n0c$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3245&group=alt.windows7.general#3245

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:44:26 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 19:44 UTC

Mayayana,

> You might want a Namespace Extension. I'm not certain, but
> I have the book VB Shell Programming and that seems to be
> what it does.

Can you tell me te name of the book and possibly its ISBN number too ? It
could not hurt to take a look at it.

> I have a shortcut to TEMP on my desktop

:-) Putting one /there/ isn't hard to do. Though the standard
drag-and-drop method creates a shortcut which opens the targetted folder
with just the right pane open. I had to do some googeling to find out how
to fix that.

> and I have a VBScript for cleaning up the myriad TEMP folders
> on my system.

Although I've got just the standard Windows and DOS "temp" folders, I do
have a number of vbscripts for various tasks.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spdo9e$vb6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3247&group=alt.windows7.general#3247

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:56:01 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:56 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote

| Can you tell me te name of the book and possibly its ISBN number too ?
It
| could not hurt to take a look at it.

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/vb-shell-programming/1565926706/

It's pretty good. I've used it to write property sheets,
browser extensins, BHOs and Explorer Bars. It's one of
those cases where the code isn't so hard but thjere are
very funky details you need to know and interfaces you
need to use.

Unfortunately, a shell extension runs in the Explorer
process, so a 32-bit SE only works on 32-bit Windows.

It looks like you might be able to set up a namespace
extension with just Registry and arcane folder fiddling,
but I'm not sure.

| Although I've got just the standard Windows and DOS "temp" folders, I do
| have a number of vbscripts for various tasks.

Microsoft have made an increasing mess of things. Originally
there was one TEMP folder. But just on XP there can be C:\TEMP,
C:\Windows\TEMP, and several [useraname]\LocalSettings\TEMP.
(my username, default, admin, all users, etc) And of course you
can't clean them in Windows if anything is being used. So I wrote
a script to check them all and keep going, ignoring errors, if something
can't be deleted.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<speut6$ioq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3253&group=alt.windows7.general#3253

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:35:17 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 08:35 UTC

Mayayana,

> https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/vb-shell-programming/1565926706/

Thanks. Will take a peek at it soon.

> It's one of those cases where the code isn't so hard but thjere are
> very funky details you need to know and interfaces you need to use.

Yup, encountered a few of those. Takes quite a bit of time (and luck) to
google the specifics.

> It looks like you might be able to set up a namespace extension with
> just Registry and arcane folder fiddling, but I'm not sure.

It would not be the first time I did that. :-)

> So I wrote a script to check them all and keep going, ignoring errors,
> if something can't be deleted.

One of my scripts checks, at shutdown, the "Recent Documents" folder and
clears everything outof it which is either a folder or on removable storage.
Causes that folder to become (a bit more) usable again.

I often use it where what needs to be done becomes too complex and a batch
file just doesn't cut it anymore. I've gone as far as to give those scripts
a ".vbc" extension to get them to automatically run in a console.

Funny that although you can read/write full lines from/to the console there
is nothing like a "get single keypress" method available. So, no easy Yes/No
questions or menu selections.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spfe4p$b05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3254&group=alt.windows7.general#3254

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 08:15:08 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:15 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote

| I often use it where what needs to be done becomes too complex and a batch
| file just doesn't cut it anymore. I've gone as far as to give those
scripts
| a ".vbc" extension to get them to automatically run in a console.
| | Funny that although you can read/write full lines from/to the console
there
| is nothing like a "get single keypress" method available. So, no easy
Yes/No
| questions or menu selections.

It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.
It's like avoiding modern clotheswashers and then complaining that
their washboard doesn't have a spin cycle.

Even more strange is that avoiding the mouse seems to be making
a comeback. I expect to see millennials down at the local river,
scrubbing on their washboards, in an attempt to "wash authentically". :)

Very OT: grammar (was: Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?)

<IRJyjYJzv0uhFwuE@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3255&group=alt.windows7.general#3255

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:23:47 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:23 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 at 13:27:45, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>a VBScript for cleaning up the myriad TEMP folders on my system.
[]
Wow, someone who knows that "myriad" shouldn't be followed by "of"!
Excellent. (Like "comprises"/"comprised".)

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations...

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<ext3rxJhz0uhFwvs@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3256&group=alt.windows7.general#3256

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:27:45 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:27 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 08:15:08, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
> It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.
>It's like avoiding modern clotheswashers and then complaining that
>their washboard doesn't have a spin cycle.
>
> Even more strange is that avoiding the mouse seems to be making
>a comeback. I expect to see millennials down at the local river,
>scrubbing on their washboards, in an attempt to "wash authentically". :)

You can go too far. Feeling you have to use the mouse for _everything_
is as bad as trying to avoid using it altogether. (When I'm doing
something keyboard-intensive in particular, I don't want to move my hand
away to find the mouse [or touchpad].)

Of course, the development of a third hand would solve the problem (-:

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations...

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spfpqs$1sq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3257&group=alt.windows7.general#3257

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:33:08 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:33 UTC

Mayayana,

> It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.

Have you ever tried to have a vbscript generate some output and run it in a
GUI ? The result is not something which makes you happy. :-\

And I do like to see how a program, script or not, progresses.

> It's like avoiding modern clotheswashers and then complaining \
> that their washboard doesn't have a spin cycle.

Lol. Even fricking DOS had a command (KeySel?) which you could use to wait
for one or more selectable keys (and have its index returned as the
exitcode). With a timeout no less.

> Even more strange is that avoiding the mouse seems to be making
> a comeback.

Is it ? using a mouse means you have to keep your eyes on the screen. By
using the keyboard you could do it blindfolded.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spfti1.a70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3258&group=alt.windows7.general#3258

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: 16 Dec 2021 16:38:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:38 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 08:15:08, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
> > It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.
> >It's like avoiding modern clotheswashers and then complaining that
> >their washboard doesn't have a spin cycle.
> >
> > Even more strange is that avoiding the mouse seems to be making
> >a comeback. I expect to see millennials down at the local river,
> >scrubbing on their washboards, in an attempt to "wash authentically". :)
> >
> You can go too far. Feeling you have to use the mouse for _everything_
> is as bad as trying to avoid using it altogether. (When I'm doing
> something keyboard-intensive in particular, I don't want to move my hand
> away to find the mouse [or touchpad].)

+<very_large_number>

For example when using this medium, I do not use the mouse at all and
can leave my hands on the keyboard the whole time, during 'browsing',
during reading and during composing/posting and all commands are simple
single or double keypresses. OTOH, when using e-mail, there's more
'mousing' and less 'typing'.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spftgj.a70.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3259&group=alt.windows7.general#3259

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: 16 Dec 2021 16:38:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:38 UTC

R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:
[...]

> Funny that although you can read/write full lines from/to the console there
> is nothing like a "get single keypress" method available. So, no easy Yes/No
> questions or menu selections.

Doesn't 'choice' offer what you want/need?

FWIW, I use .bat (and shell) scripts and 'console' (Command Prompt)
windows, but only when Mayayana isn't watching. His misplaced/uninformed
superiority complex is already bad enough as it is.

Re: Very OT: grammar

<j219tsFaemiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3260&group=alt.windows7.general#3260

From: Ken@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Very OT: grammar
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:04:59 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:04 UTC

On 12/16/2021 7:23 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 at 13:27:45, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>>a VBScript for cleaning up the myriad TEMP folders on my system.
> []
> Wow, someone who knows that "myriad" shouldn't be followed by "of"!
> Excellent. (Like "comprises"/"comprised".)

I think you're the first person I've ever known who doesn't say or
write "...the xxx is comprised of... where he should say of write "the
xxx comprises..."

I remember once sending a draft to my boss (at his request) of a memo I
wrote for him to approve it before I sent it out. The memo included
"comprises." The only change he made was changing "comprises" to
"comprised of." I changed it back.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<j21a12FaemiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3261&group=alt.windows7.general#3261

From: Ken@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
as 'control panel' ?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:06:41 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:06 UTC

On 12/16/2021 9:38 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 08:15:08, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> []
>> > It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.
>> >It's like avoiding modern clotheswashers and then complaining that
>> >their washboard doesn't have a spin cycle.
>> >
>> > Even more strange is that avoiding the mouse seems to be making
>> >a comeback. I expect to see millennials down at the local river,
>> >scrubbing on their washboards, in an attempt to "wash authentically". :)
>> >
>> You can go too far. Feeling you have to use the mouse for _everything_
>> is as bad as trying to avoid using it altogether. (When I'm doing
>> something keyboard-intensive in particular, I don't want to move my hand
>> away to find the mouse [or touchpad].)
>
> +<very_large_number>
>
> For example when using this medium, I do not use the mouse at all and
> can leave my hands on the keyboard the whole time, during 'browsing',
> during reading and during composing/posting and all commands are simple
> single or double keypresses. OTOH, when using e-mail, there's more
> 'mousing' and less 'typing'.

Exactly the other way around for me.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spg5cc.6f0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3265&group=alt.windows7.general#3265

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: 16 Dec 2021 18:51:49 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 18:51 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/2021 9:38 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 08:15:08, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
> >> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> >> []

> >> You can go too far. Feeling you have to use the mouse for _everything_
> >> is as bad as trying to avoid using it altogether. (When I'm doing
> >> something keyboard-intensive in particular, I don't want to move my hand
> >> away to find the mouse [or touchpad].)
> >
> > +<very_large_number>
> >
> > For example when using this medium, I do not use the mouse at all and
> > can leave my hands on the keyboard the whole time, during 'browsing',
> > during reading and during composing/posting and all commands are simple
> > single or double keypresses. OTOH, when using e-mail, there's more
> > 'mousing' and less 'typing'.
>

> Exactly the other way around for me.

That's probably because you use Thunderbird [1] for this medium
(Usenet/NetNews) and I don't. Do you use Thunderbird for e-mail as well?
If so, why do you use keyboard shortcuts for e-mail, but not for Usenet/
NetNews?

[1] Is - as your headers imply - 'Betterbird' some new name for
Thunderbird?

Re: Very OT: grammar

<0LHdFPTK24uhFwIa@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3266&group=alt.windows7.general#3266

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 19:03:38 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 19:03 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 10:04:59, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>On 12/16/2021 7:23 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 at 13:27:45, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> []
>>>a VBScript for cleaning up the myriad TEMP folders on my system.
>> []
>> Wow, someone who knows that "myriad" shouldn't be followed by "of"!
>> Excellent. (Like "comprises"/"comprised".)
>

>I think you're the first person I've ever known who doesn't say or
>write "...the xxx is comprised of... where he should say of write "the
>xxx comprises..."

HOORAY! Yes, I don't know why they feel naked without an "of" there. All
I can think of is that they are thinking of "consists". I think
"compris*" have only become common in the last few years. Similarly for
"myriad", or at least its resurgence: I can only think they're thinking
of "multitude". (Come to think of it, myriad doesn't need "a" _before_
it either, though I wouldn't consider it _wrong_.)

>I remember once sending a draft to my boss (at his request) of a memo I
>wrote for him to approve it before I sent it out. The memo included
>"comprises." The only change he made was changing "comprises" to
>"comprised of." I changed it back.

I hope you didn't suffer career-wise. I did have a boss who more or less
ordered me to use top-posting, so I did - but only in emails to him (-:.

(You could have given him his "of" by using "consisting of" if he'd
insisted.)

Her [Valerie Singleton's] main job on /Blue Peter/ was to stop unpredictable
creatres running amok. And that was just John Noakes.
- Alison Pearson, RT 2014/9/6-12

Re: Very OT: grammar

<j21i1jFbuihU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3267&group=alt.windows7.general#3267

From: Ken@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:23:31 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 19:23 UTC

On 12/16/2021 12:03 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 10:04:59, Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>On 12/16/2021 7:23 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 at 13:27:45, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
>>> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>>> []
>>> []
>>> Wow, someone who knows that "myriad" shouldn't be followed by "of"!
>>> Excellent. (Like "comprises"/"comprised".)
>>

>>I think you're the first person I've ever known who doesn't say or
>>write "...the xxx is comprised of... where he should say of write "the
>>xxx comprises..."
>
> HOORAY! Yes, I don't know why they feel naked without an "of" there. All
> I can think of is that they are thinking of "consists". I think
> "compris*" have only become common in the last few years. Similarly for
> "myriad", or at least its resurgence: I can only think they're thinking
> of "multitude". (Come to think of it, myriad doesn't need "a" _before_
> it either, though I wouldn't consider it _wrong_.)
>>
>>I remember once sending a draft to my boss (at his request) of a memo I
>>wrote for him to approve it before I sent it out. The memo included
>>"comprises." The only change he made was changing "comprises" to
>>"comprised of." I changed it back.
>
> I hope you didn't suffer career-wise.

No. I hated him, and I hated the company, I soon found another, much
better, job, and resigned a short time later. I didn't work there long.

> I did have a boss who more or less
> ordered me to use top-posting, so I did - but only in emails to him (-:.
>
> (You could have given him his "of" by using "consisting of" if he'd
> insisted.)

Yes, I could have, but I didn't.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<j21i7qFc284U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3268&group=alt.windows7.general#3268

From: Ken@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
as 'control panel' ?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:26:49 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 19:26 UTC

On 12/16/2021 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Ken Blake <Ken@invalidinvalid.com> wrote:

>> > +<very_large_number>
>> >
>> > For example when using this medium, I do not use the mouse at all and
>> > can leave my hands on the keyboard the whole time, during 'browsing',
>> > during reading and during composing/posting and all commands are simple
>> > single or double keypresses. OTOH, when using e-mail, there's more
>> > 'mousing' and less 'typing'.
>>

>> Exactly the other way around for me.
>
> That's probably because you use Thunderbird [1] for this medium
> (Usenet/NetNews) and I don't. Do you use Thunderbird for e-mail as well?

Yes, for the last six months or so.

> If so, why do you use keyboard shortcuts for e-mail, but not for Usenet/
> NetNews?

??? I use Autohotkey and use shortcuts for everything.

> [1] Is - as your headers imply - 'Betterbird' some new name for
> Thunderbird?

No. Betterbird is a Thunderbird variant, with a few minor improvements.

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spg6fr$cil$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3269&group=alt.windows7.general#3269

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:08:00 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:08 UTC

Frank,

> Doesn't 'choice' offer what you want/need?

Yup, that was the DOS program I was thinking of. Thanks.

Though I was lamenting that VBScript (or rather : cscript) does not have
anything comparable. Or anything beyond a basic console write and read
function. Not even a "cls".

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<spgege$h52$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3270&group=alt.windows7.general#3270

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:27:28 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:27 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available>

| > It's a mystery to me that people keep using console windows.
| | Have you ever tried to have a vbscript generate some output and run it in
a | GUI ? The result is not something which makes you happy. :-\
| Of course. I can show a msgbox. I can write the result to a file.
Or if I want it interactive, I use an HTA. I have about a dozen
of those sitting on my desktop. I figure that if I have to type
something like a path more than once then it's worth automating it.

| Is it ? using a mouse means you have to keep your eyes on the screen.
By
| using the keyboard you could do it blindfolded.

Ah. So you worked as a secretary before computers?
Personally I don't know the keyboard that well. And I
don't have trouble looking at the screen. It's right in front
of me, after all. In fact, it seems that whenever I look
away something goes wrong. For instance, I thought I
was typing in search terms but when I finally look up I
see that the search box doesn't have the focus.

Re: Very OT: grammar (was: Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?)

<spgejj$hlp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3271&group=alt.windows7.general#3271

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:29:10 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:29 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote

| Wow, someone who knows that "myriad" shouldn't be followed by "of"!
| Excellent. (Like "comprises"/"comprised".)

It's always a special thrill to be complimented on
my use of English by a Brit. :)

Re: Creating a custom shell folder visible under 'my computer' just as 'control panel' ?

<sphuor$1eoo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3273&group=alt.windows7.general#3273

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:09:11 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:09 UTC

Mayayana,

> I want it interactive, I use an HTA

:-) I wasn't even /hinting/ at an interactive GUI, but just being able to
do simple stuff like a Yes/No (or alike) question (MsgBox in VBS).

As for an HTA ? If I want to spend time at create an actual GUI I can as
well write a program. Way more flexible and not an god-awfull mess of GUI
elements mixed with code.

> Personally I don't know the keyboard that well. And I
> don't have trouble looking at the screen.

Not everyone is the same as you are I'm afraid ...

> For instance, I thought I was typing in search terms but when
> I finally look up I see that the search box doesn't have the focus.

And what happens when you keep your eyes on the screen and not the keyboard
? What is your actual-character-to backspace ratio than ? :-p

In my case I've got enough muscle-memory to guide my two index fingers to
the vincinity of the intended key, but must use eyeballing to hit it right
(and not some neighbouring keys too). And that also answers your
"secretary" remark.

But yes, that happens to me too. *Even though* I hit the hotkey-combo for
the searchbox it for some reason sometimes refuses to come up (often because
it gobbles up the hotkey keystroke because of being in a "press any key to
continue" state), or when its already up refuses to give focus to the input
field.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser