Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:30:26 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: What turns auto-refresh (in explorer) off?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:30 UTC

Normally, if I have a (normal, on the local disc) folder open, and a new
file comes into existence in it (usually, of course, because of
something I'm doing), I see it at once. (I often have folders sorted by
"Date modified", so I see the new file appear at the top of the list.)

However, sometimes, this gets turned off - but not by any action I'm
deliberately taking. The new file still appears if I do View | Refresh,
or F5, or click another folder then back to the one in question.

I notice it most when I'm extracting audio from video files - I extract
the audio data as .wav using Pazera (a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg), then use
GoldWave to create a .mp3 from that (I use GoldWave to see whether the
audio is mono or not, and what bandwidth, then choose sample/data rates
accordingly).

But
(a) I don't think auto-refresh _always_ stops when I'm doing this
(b) I _think_ I've noticed it stop at other times.

Not a major problem - when I've noticed it's turned off, it's trivial to
press F5 when I've created a new file (and it comes back at next
restart, possibly just of Explorer, I haven't investigated); I just
wondered (i) if anyone else has experienced it being turned off (ii) if
anyone knows what causes it.

[I _think_ I may have asked here about this before, but may have been
less or more detailed.]

"I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure there is
some force, somewhere, working against me." - Marc Maron

Re: What turns auto-refresh (in explorer) off?

<solak8$icp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3211&group=alt.windows7.general#3211

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: What turns auto-refresh (in explorer) off?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 15:35:35 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 15:35 UTC

On 06/12/2021 14:30, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> Normally, if I have a (normal, on the local disc) folder open, and a new
> file comes into existence in it (usually, of course, because of
> something I'm doing), I see it at once. (I often have folders sorted by
> "Date modified", so I see the new file appear at the top of the list.)
>
> However, sometimes, this gets turned off - but not by any action I'm
> deliberately taking. The new file still appears if I do View | Refresh,
> or F5, or click another folder then back to the one in question.
>
> I notice it most when I'm extracting audio from video files - I extract
> the audio data as .wav using Pazera (a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg), then use
> GoldWave to create a .mp3 from that (I use GoldWave to see whether the
> audio is mono or not, and what bandwidth, then choose sample/data rates
> accordingly).
>
> But
> (a) I don't think auto-refresh _always_ stops when I'm doing this
> (b) I _think_ I've noticed it stop at other times.
>
> Not a major problem - when I've noticed it's turned off, it's trivial to
> press F5 when I've created a new file (and it comes back at next
> restart, possibly just of Explorer, I haven't investigated); I just
> wondered (i) if anyone else has experienced it being turned off (ii) if
> anyone knows what causes it.
>
> [I _think_ I may have asked here about this before, but may have been
> less or more detailed.]

Yes, I've noticed same or similar too, don't know what causes it, but
certainly it's damned annoying.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: What turns auto-refresh (in explorer) off?

<w_OdnR8Xp_z3VzP8nZ2dnUU7-NmdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3213&group=alt.windows7.general#3213

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 20:43:54 -0600
 by: Ant - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 02:43 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 06/12/2021 14:30, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> >
> > Normally, if I have a (normal, on the local disc) folder open, and a new
> > file comes into existence in it (usually, of course, because of
> > something I'm doing), I see it at once. (I often have folders sorted by
> > "Date modified", so I see the new file appear at the top of the list.)
> >
> > However, sometimes, this gets turned off - but not by any action I'm
> > deliberately taking. The new file still appears if I do View | Refresh,
> > or F5, or click another folder then back to the one in question.
> >
> > I notice it most when I'm extracting audio from video files - I extract
> > the audio data as .wav using Pazera (a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg), then use
> > GoldWave to create a .mp3 from that (I use GoldWave to see whether the
> > audio is mono or not, and what bandwidth, then choose sample/data rates
> > accordingly).
> >
> > But
> > (a) I don't think auto-refresh _always_ stops when I'm doing this
> > (b) I _think_ I've noticed it stop at other times.
> >
> > Not a major problem - when I've noticed it's turned off, it's trivial to
> > press F5 when I've created a new file (and it comes back at next
> > restart, possibly just of Explorer, I haven't investigated); I just
> > wondered (i) if anyone else has experienced it being turned off (ii) if
> > anyone knows what causes it.
> >
> > [I _think_ I may have asked here about this before, but may have been
> > less or more detailed.]

> Yes, I've noticed same or similar too, don't know what causes it, but
> certainly it's damned annoying.

Ditto. It must be one of those bugs that MS never fixes. :(
--
2021's last/final mo. Winter is coming, uhh here. More leaks, tasks, people's home moves, spams, sickness, frauds, updates, craziness, etc. :(
| |o o| |

Re: What turns auto-refresh (in explorer) off?

<Lo2idD$YKwrhFwks@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3214&group=alt.windows7.general#3214

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:43:36 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 06:43 UTC

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 at 20:43:54, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote (my
>Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> On 06/12/2021 14:30, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> >
>> > Normally, if I have a (normal, on the local disc) folder open, and a new
>> > file comes into existence in it (usually, of course, because of
>> > something I'm doing), I see it at once. (I often have folders sorted by
>> > "Date modified", so I see the new file appear at the top of the list.)
>> >
>> > However, sometimes, this gets turned off - but not by any action I'm
>> > deliberately taking. The new file still appears if I do View | Refresh,
>> > or F5, or click another folder then back to the one in question.
[]
>> Yes, I've noticed same or similar too, don't know what causes it, but
>> certainly it's damned annoying.
>
>Ditto. It must be one of those bugs that MS never fixes. :(

Ah well - thanks guys for telling me I am not alone! Yes, I'm sure it'll
never be fixed for 7 now.

Being punctual makes people think you have nothing to do.