If you analyse anything, you destroy it. -- Arthur Miller

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

SubjectAuthor
* Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support insteadAndrei Z.
`* Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportMike Easter
 +* Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportHenry Crun
 |+- Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportMike Easter
 |+- Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportstepore
 |+- Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportJimmy Johnson
 |`- Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportJohnny
 `* Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of FlaAnssi Saari
  `- Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap supportAndrei Z.

1
Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<tt71ap$2v1rf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3188

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead
of Flatpak
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:32:57 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 06:32 UTC

Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061

Ubuntu flavours
https://ubuntu.com/desktop/flavours

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<k5pgvbFqappU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3189&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3189

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support
instead of Flatpak
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 08:01:44 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 16:01 UTC

Andrei Z. wrote:
> Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
> https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061

The article I read about that move didn't provide nearly the depth of
explanation as the discourse one. I understand Canonical's position/POV
on the issue better now.

Before I read anything, I wasn't actually aware that some Ub flavors
were including flatpaks by default, like Mint does.

I also recently learned that one advantage of Snaps was that it includes
some server apps whereas flatpaks are just oriented to the
desktop/workstation ones.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<k5poabFr56bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3190&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3190

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:07:07 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:07 UTC

On 23/02/2023 18:01, Mike Easter wrote:
> Andrei Z. wrote:
>> Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
>> https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061
>>
> The article I read about that move didn't provide nearly the depth of explanation as the discourse one.  I understand
> Canonical's position/POV on the issue better now.
>
> Before I read anything,  I wasn't actually aware that some Ub flavors were including flatpaks by default, like Mint does.
>
> I also recently learned that one advantage of Snaps was that it includes some server apps whereas flatpaks are just
> oriented to the desktop/workstation ones.

Having been an Ubuntu (vanilla flavour) user since Warty Warthog, I am finally, slowly, moving over to mxlinux.
Canonical has it would seem lost sight of the principle "Do one thing and do it well" and is coercing users to use snaps
-- avoidable, but in my opinion overly convoluted, and worse: systemd, overly complicated and most definitely NOT "do
one thing", inefficient, and introducing a host ov new problems. These changes possibly make thing easier for
developers, but disregard the users, who are told "we know what's best for you..."

Pity about that.

Mike
--
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#befor

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<k5ppudFrm03U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3191&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3191

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:34:52 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:34 UTC

Henry Crun wrote:
> Having been an Ubuntu (vanilla flavour) user since Warty Warthog, I am
> finally, slowly, moving over to mxlinux.

Nice distro.

> Canonical has it would seem lost sight of the principle "Do one thing
> and do it well" and is coercing users to use snaps -- avoidable, but in
> my opinion overly convoluted, and worse: systemd, overly complicated and
> most definitely NOT "do one thing", inefficient, and introducing a host
> ov new problems. These changes possibly make thing easier for
> developers, but disregard the users, who are told "we know what's best
> for you..."

MX is a nice Debian distro; and is VERY flexible about how it sorta
eschews systemd while making it optionally enabled at boot. Clever.

Similarly Mint is a nice Ubuntu distro and makes some better decisions
than Ub about its desktops by eschewing Gnome while putting LOTS of dev
into its forks, and making its default extra apps flatpak instead of
snap and also being able to use .deb .ppa repo/s in addition to those of
Ub and itself.

> Pity about that.

Well, Ub has to do what Ub has to do. I would imagine that Mark
Shuttleworth 'dreams' of being a RedHat and a big financial success
someday, while doing good things for the community on the way there.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<tt9mch$25734$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3192&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3192

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 22:44:33 -0800
 by: stepore - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 06:44 UTC

On 2/23/23 10:07, Henry Crun wrote:

> Having been an Ubuntu (vanilla flavour) user since Warty Warthog, I am finally, slowly, moving over to mxlinux.
> Canonical has it would seem lost sight of the principle "Do one thing and do it well" and is coercing users to use snaps
> -- avoidable, but in my opinion overly convoluted, and worse: systemd, overly complicated and most definitely NOT "do
> one thing", inefficient, and introducing a host ov new problems. These changes possibly make thing easier for
> developers, but disregard the users, who are told "we know what's best for you..."
>
> Pity about that.

I, for one, will always have a soft spot in my heart for Ubuntu. IMHO It
has done more to further Linux desktop than any other linux distro,
ever. And I've used them all. Even back when Mandrake was essentially
Ubuntu for Redhat/rpm distros.

So shuttleworth wants to focus on servers and snaps and whatever other
decisions he chooses to further Canonical/Ubuntu. He's free to do that.
As we (users) are free to keep using Ubuntu and do what we choose on it
including removing snaps, etc. Or free to move to other distros.

I still use ubuntu/debian for all my home computers/servers. At work,
we're bound to redhat. It's all Linux and Linux is great, no matter the
distro. Be happy we use the best OS in existence.

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<tteu9t$2rpk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3198&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3198

From: Jimmy@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 22:30:21 -0800
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 06:30 UTC

On 02/23/2023 10:07 AM, Henry Crun wrote:

> I am finally, slowly, moving over to mxlinux.

Have you moved yet? Congratulations if you have, it's a much better O.S.
than most any other thing out there. I found one better but you need to
speak Spanish to use it.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Alien-19-Linux - AMD A8-7600 - at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<20230228081716.633f68d6@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3199&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3199

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:17:16 -0600
 by: Johnny - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:17 UTC

On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:07:07 +0200
Henry Crun <mike@rechtman.com> wrote:

> On 23/02/2023 18:01, Mike Easter wrote:
> > Andrei Z. wrote:
> >> Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
> >> https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061
> >>
> > The article I read about that move didn't provide nearly the depth
> > of explanation as the discourse one.  I understand Canonical's
> > position/POV on the issue better now.
> >
> > Before I read anything,  I wasn't actually aware that some Ub
> > flavors were including flatpaks by default, like Mint does.
> >
> > I also recently learned that one advantage of Snaps was that it
> > includes some server apps whereas flatpaks are just oriented to the
> > desktop/workstation ones.
> >

> Having been an Ubuntu (vanilla flavour) user since Warty Warthog, I
> am finally, slowly, moving over to mxlinux. Canonical has it would
> seem lost sight of the principle "Do one thing and do it well" and is
> coercing users to use snaps -- avoidable, but in my opinion overly
> convoluted, and worse: systemd, overly complicated and most
> definitely NOT "do one thing", inefficient, and introducing a host ov
> new problems. These changes possibly make thing easier for
> developers, but disregard the users, who are told "we know what's
> best for you..."
>
> Pity about that.
>
> Mike

I started using Linux Mint at version 15 and thought it was the best.
A few years ago I tried MX Linux, and have never gone back to Linux
Mint.

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<sm0h6v4x0t3.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3200

From: as@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 11:45:12 +0200
sha1:CUmaWRVVNuN2OysGbVjOek2I17k=
 by: Anssi Saari - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:45 UTC

Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> writes:

> Andrei Z. wrote:
>> Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
>> https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061
>>
> The article I read about that move didn't provide nearly the depth of
> explanation as the discourse one. I understand Canonical's
> position/POV on the issue better now.

Still, no flatpak support out of the box is kind of an annoying decision
for Kubuntu considering Plasma 5.27 includes support for managing
flatpak permissions right in the system configuration app.

In other news, Ubuntu Pro is available for free now for personal
use. With Pro, LTS releases have 10 years of security updates for the
main and universe repos. Also LivePatch is included for kernel updates
without rebooting.

My only Ubuntu machine currently is a Raspberry Pi in the Compute Module
3+ variant. I thought I'd just chuck it when 20.04 goes out of support
but now it looks like that would be in 2030.

Re: Canonical unifies community editions in shipping Snap support instead of Flatpak

<ttn8ha$1g5m1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3201

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
instead of Flatpak
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 13:14:02 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 10:14 UTC

Anssi Saari wrote:
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> writes:
>
>> Andrei Z. wrote:
>>> Ubuntu Flavor Packaging Defaults - Ubuntu Community Hub
>>> https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-flavor-packaging-defaults/34061
>>>
>> The article I read about that move didn't provide nearly the depth of
>> explanation as the discourse one. I understand Canonical's
>> position/POV on the issue better now.
>
> Still, no flatpak support out of the box is kind of an annoying decision
> for Kubuntu considering Plasma 5.27 includes support for managing
> flatpak permissions right in the system configuration app.

Flatpaks and Kubuntu

https://kubuntu.org/news/flatpaks-and-kubuntu/