From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Some CLSID references found to non-existing programs. Can the CLSIDs be deleted ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 16:53:56 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:53 UTC

Hello all,

A few days ago I decided to check the CLSID entries in my registry (I've
been installing and un-unstalling ActiveX components). I found some which
pointed to programs/dlls which do not exist :

BdaPlgin.ax
CaPlgin.ax
deskpan.dll
eapahost.dll
eapa3hst.dll
mscoree.dll

a few of those exist in multiple CLSIDs, and all of them are under the
"InProcSever32" subkey. I googled for few and found that they are some
kind of remainder ... of something related to the OS.

What I would like to know if I can just delete those CLSID entries, or if
they stil are needed. If it makes any difference, the involved OS is
XPsp3.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Some CLSID references found to non-existing programs. Can the CLSIDs be deleted ?

<so8agc$pdp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3176&group=alt.windows7.general#3176

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 12:13:55 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:13 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote

| A few days ago I decided to check the CLSID entries in my registry (I've
| been installing and un-unstalling ActiveX components). I found some
which
| pointed to programs/dlls which do not exist :
| | BdaPlgin.ax
| CaPlgin.ax
| deskpan.dll
| eapahost.dll
| eapa3hst.dll
| mscoree.dll
| | a few of those exist in multiple CLSIDs, and all of them are under the
| "InProcSever32" subkey. I googled for few and found that they are some
| kind of remainder ... of something related to the OS.
| | What I would like to know if I can just delete those CLSID entries, or if
| they stil are needed. If it makes any difference, the involved OS is
| XPsp3.

I checked for eapahost and found I also have settings but
no file. Mscoree is the .Net interpreter. You'll need that
if you have any .Net. I'm not sure how that works. .Net breaks
COM, but somehow it's using the same system for its own
object model.

With anything else, those entries are there to enable COM dispatch
library loading, as you probably know. The ProgIDs and CLSIDs
allow software to find a COM object and load it, without needing
to know the file or its location.

If the file is not there, or if you delete the CLSID, you'll probably
get the same error if you try to instantiate that object:
Error 429. Unable to create ActiveX object.

But as long as nothing is trying to use the library it won't matter.
In other words, if AcmeSoft installs abc.dll and registers COM
objects, that's only relevant as long as the DLL remains on your
system, remains registered, and is used by some kind of software,
such as AcmeSoft editor. If nothing ever tries to use the COM
object(s) then it won't matter. If something tries to use them and
the library is not there, you'll get an error. You're only breaking
something if the file is there, properly registered, and some software
is using it.

Re: Some CLSID references found to non-existing programs. Can the CLSIDs be deleted ?

<so8kop$1jgh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3177&group=alt.windows7.general#3177

From: address@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:08:44 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 20:08 UTC

Mayayana,

> You're only breaking something if the file is there, properly
> registered, and some software is using it.

The thing is that with these pre-created CLSID entries the involved
component could just be dropped in place. Removing those CLSID entries
could than cause the program trying to reach them to fail.

Yes, I know that not calling the components "DllRegisterServer" function
would be an odd thing to do, but I'm not directly willing to bet it won't
ever happen that way.

And thats pretty-much what I'm trying to verify : that noone has ever
experienced something like that (and I thus can just remove those CLSID
entries).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser