From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: KDE vs Gnome + media
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:58:06 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:58 UTC

In a recent thread I made some remarks about disliking Gnome and also
about getting Ub 22.04 Gnome live into Wayland instead of xorg.

I was recently surprised to see DistroWatch do an 'exchange' of
reviewers of their heavy hitter Jesse Smith w/ the less known (to me)
Christine Hall of Foss Force; so JS penned a KDE Neon review for FF,
while CH will do the same for EndeavorOS for DW. CH is listed as the 'owner
& editor' of FF. (I'm sorta baffled about the 'owner' of DW)

DW
> This week DistroWatch and FOSS Force partnered to perform an article
> swap. Christine Hall has offered to review the latest release of the
> elementary OS distribution for us, and we'll have that for you here
> next Monday. In exchange, our Jesse Smith wrote an overview of KDE,
> its KDE Plasma desktop, and its cool features such as KDE Connect.
> The article on KDE has been published on FOSS Force for your
> enjoyment.

Personally, I consider KDE my 2nd fave DE after Cinnamon, but in my
early linux days the DE 'war' waged between KDE and Gnome. The earliest
KDE used the Qt from TrollTech of .no while the earliest Gnome, came into
being partially because of an aversion to the then proprietary Qt and
used GTK. Of course, the toolkits have evolved greatly since those days
in the late 90s.

Many websites expressed that DE 'war' back in the day; one of my faves
was by 'psychocats'.

Ubuntu didn't come along until 2004; KDE3 was intro'd 2002; Gnome2 in
'02 and Gnome3 in '08; the last kde3, 3.5 was in 2005 Nov, which
subsequently
gave inspiration to the ongoing dev of TrinityDE reminiscent of 3.5.
Gnome3 and its gnome shell and 'trouble' was released 2011, which gave
rise to the dev of Mate and Cinnamon, much by Mint dev/s.

Here's an example of a recent CH article in FF, and JS's KDE Neon review
there. CH, a journalist since '71, has been linux (now 'brideoflinux')
since 2002. CH's fave DEs 1-2 are XFCE (Mint's) then KDE. As above,
she'll have the DW review next week.

https://fossforce.com/2023/02/kde-plasma-full-featured-desktop-thats-surprisingly-easy-on-resources/
KDE Plasma: Full Featured Desktop That’s Surprisingly Easy on Resources
By Jesse Smith on February 6, 2023

https://fossforce.com/2023/02/a-beginners-guide-to-linux-desktops/ A
Beginners’ Guide to Linux Desktops By Christine Hall on February 1, 2023

JS is a good reviewer, and he gave a very positive review of KDE. He
also included a par about how one of its strengths 'complexity' might be
considered a weak point. The link is there for one to read how he
expressed that.

--
Mike Easter

Re: KDE vs Gnome + media

<tsgl93$2jmg8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3172&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3172

From: rob@despammer.com (Rob H)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: KDE vs Gnome + media
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:52:19 +0000
 by: Rob H - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 18:52 UTC

On 14/02/2023 16:58, Mike Easter wrote:
> In a recent thread I made some remarks about disliking Gnome and also
> about getting Ub 22.04 Gnome live into Wayland instead of xorg.
>
> I was recently surprised to see DistroWatch do an 'exchange' of
> reviewers of their heavy hitter Jesse Smith w/ the less known (to me)
> Christine Hall of Foss Force; so JS penned a KDE Neon review for FF,
> while CH will do the same for EndeavorOS for DW.  CH is listed as the
> 'owner
> & editor' of FF.  (I'm sorta baffled about the 'owner' of DW)
>
> DW
>> This week DistroWatch and FOSS Force partnered to perform an article
>> swap. Christine Hall has offered to review the latest release of the
>> elementary OS distribution for us, and we'll have that for you here
>> next Monday. In exchange, our Jesse Smith wrote an overview of KDE,
>> its KDE Plasma desktop, and its cool features such as KDE Connect. The
>> article on KDE has been published on FOSS Force for your enjoyment.
>
> Personally, I consider KDE my 2nd fave DE after Cinnamon, but in my
> early linux days the DE 'war' waged between KDE and Gnome.  The earliest
> KDE used the Qt from TrollTech of .no while the earliest Gnome, came into
> being partially because of an aversion to the then proprietary Qt and
> used GTK.  Of course, the toolkits have evolved greatly since those days
> in the late 90s.
>
> Many websites expressed that DE 'war' back in the day; one of my faves
> was by 'psychocats'.
>
> Ubuntu didn't come along until 2004; KDE3 was intro'd 2002; Gnome2 in
> '02 and Gnome3 in '08; the last kde3, 3.5 was in 2005 Nov, which
> subsequently
> gave inspiration to the ongoing dev of TrinityDE reminiscent of 3.5.
> Gnome3 and its gnome shell and 'trouble' was released 2011, which gave
> rise to the dev of Mate and Cinnamon, much by Mint dev/s.
>
> Here's an example of a recent CH article in FF, and JS's KDE Neon review
> there.  CH, a journalist since '71, has been linux (now 'brideoflinux')
> since 2002. CH's fave DEs 1-2 are XFCE (Mint's) then KDE. As above,
> she'll have the DW review next week.
>
> https://fossforce.com/2023/02/kde-plasma-full-featured-desktop-thats-surprisingly-easy-on-resources/   KDE Plasma: Full Featured Desktop That’s Surprisingly Easy on Resources
> By Jesse Smith on February 6, 2023
>
> https://fossforce.com/2023/02/a-beginners-guide-to-linux-desktops/  A
> Beginners’ Guide to Linux Desktops By Christine Hall on February 1, 2023
>
> JS is a good reviewer, and he gave a very positive review of KDE.  He
> also included a par about how one of its strengths 'complexity' might be
> considered a

weak point.  The link is there for one to read how he
> expressed that.

I think that is how I got the drop down menu on the said ubuntu machine
by installing Plasma.
But when I uninstalled it, the drop down menu was still there

Re: KDE vs Gnome + media

<k524l9F7mcvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3173&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3173

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:10:32 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 19:10 UTC

Rob H wrote:
> I think that is how I got the drop down menu on the said ubuntu machine
> by installing Plasma.

Well that's a pretty big deal in terms of introducing 'stuff' to an install.

> But when I uninstalled it, the drop down menu was still there

I don't like to 'junk up' a system which is installed by installing
'stuff' I'm interested in checking out. My preferred 'testing
environment' is a live distro. If I want to see KDE I boot a live KDE;
in fact, I might boot more than one or more than two.

There's actually a lot of diff between KDE neon and Kubuntu and they are
both kde on top of ub, and then there's the manjaro kde over arch and
the sparky and MX kde/s over Deb. And Texstar's was Mandrake now
independent distro's kde. KDE is SO tweakable that distro dev/s get to
bring their own ideas to the DE. Neon wins the prize for being the
'leanest' live to the desktop. Of course that doesn't count Trinity
because it is TDE :-)

Installing something and then uninstalling it doesn't 'erase' what all
has changed. Often.

And, the problem is that 'fixing something' in an install that is b0rken
or just 'bent' is a LOT harder than installing something from scratch
which itself is a bigger deal than booting something live. I suppose one
could take that down another notch by booting a VM, but I don't go there
in favor of booting the live USB Ventoy .iso.

--
Mike Easter