"Show business is just like high school, except you get paid." -- Martin Mull

devel / comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets / Re: Cyrillic cursive letter forms

SubjectAuthor
* Cyrillic cursive letter formsStefan Ram
+* Re: Cyrillic cursive letter formsY Lee Coyote
|`- Re: Cyrillic cursive letter formsThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
`- Re: Cyrillic cursive letter formsThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

1
Cyrillic cursive letter forms

<cursive-20220728195558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=284&group=comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets#284

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
Subject: Cyrillic cursive letter forms
Date: 28 Jul 2022 19:10:29 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:10 UTC

Unicode is bothering me a bit.

Some Cyrillic characters totally change their form when
written in italics. The "T" then will look like an "m"
(in lower-case italics). But this symbol looking like an
"m" and meaning "T" in cyrillic has no code point in
Unicode (as far as I know).

And some fonts just render it using the same form as
in non-italics, just slanted. So, how can one insert the
italic form into a webpage (not resorting to images)?

On one device I found by trial and error that it needs
something like <i style="font-family: serif;"> or similar.
But on a different device or with a different app, this
might not work.

It's sad. Unicode is adding ridiculous "emoticons" for
fun users, but not very common letter forms for serious
users! And HTML gives us no standard fonts so that one
can be sure that a certain font exists for the client
/and/ has the correct symbols when <i> or "font-style:
italic;" is used.

Re: Cyrillic cursive letter forms

<v5l7ehl9ggepucsc62ub25cu62322h2vo1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=285&group=comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets#285

From: See.signature.line@mail.com (Y Lee Coyote)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
Subject: Re: Cyrillic cursive letter forms
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 08:41:30 -0400
 by: Y Lee Coyote - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:41 UTC

On 28 Jul 2022 19:10:29 GMT, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote in
<cursive-20220728195558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>:

> Unicode is bothering me a bit.
>
> Some Cyrillic characters totally change their form when
> written in italics. The "T" then will look like an "m"
> (in lower-case italics). But this symbol looking like an
> "m" and meaning "T" in cyrillic has no code point in
> Unicode (as far as I know).
>
> And some fonts just render it using the same form as
> in non-italics, just slanted. So, how can one insert the
> italic form into a webpage (not resorting to images)?
>
> On one device I found by trial and error that it needs
> something like <i style="font-family: serif;"> or similar.
> But on a different device or with a different app, this
> might not work.
>
> It's sad. Unicode is adding ridiculous "emoticons" for
> fun users, but not very common letter forms for serious
> users! And HTML gives us no standard fonts so that one
> can be sure that a certain font exists for the client
> /and/ has the correct symbols when <i> or "font-style:
> italic;" is used.

Investigate using web fonts and/or embedded fonts. Search <<including font
in html>>

HTH

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

P & E

Re: Cyrillic cursive letter forms

<12049973.O9o76ZdvQC@PointedEars.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=315&group=comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets#315

From: PointedEars@web.de (Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 04:41:13 +0200
Face: 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
 by: Thomas 'Pointed - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:41 UTC

Stefan Ram wrote:

> Unicode is bothering me a bit.
>
> Some Cyrillic characters totally change their form when
> written in italics. The "T" then will look like an "m"
> (in lower-case italics).

This is NOT a feature of Unicode, but of font faces which support Cyrillic
letters (typically those are Unicode-supporting fonts), and it is *expected*
by people who can read (and write) the Cyrillic script.

Because, for example, «т», the *lowercase* Cyrillic consonant equivalent to
the Latin “t”, is actually hand-written the same as a hand-written Latin “m”
(at least it is in Russian and German, languages that I speak,
respectively). [If your newsreader uses italics for quotations, you will
probably see this when this text is quoted.]

Cyrillic was derived (based on Glagolitic developed by [“Saint”] Cyril and
his brother, hence the name) from the Greek script, so there are many
similarities between them; however, one difference between them is that the
not know why, but the shape of the Glagolitic letter Tvrido/Tverdo «Ⱅ»,
perhaps “perhaps from crossbar of Greek tau τ”, suggests that it is the
origin.)

By contrast, “italic” is, as the name says, a style and concept developed
for the _Latin_ script:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italic_type>

“The name comes from the fact that calligraphy-inspired typefaces were first
designed in Italy, to replace documents traditionally written in a
handwriting style called “chancery hand”. Aldus Manutius and Ludovico
Arrighi (both between the 15th and 16th centuries) were the main type
designers involved in this process at the time.”

(Italian uses the Latin script; also, at the time books were mostly written
and printed in the Latin language. People who are familiar with desktop
publishing software or font faces will recognize the names “Aldus” and
“chancery”.)

So, again, the problem exists merely between keyboard and chair.

> meaning "T" in cyrillic has no code point in Unicode (as far as I know).

Such a nonsense, it is not even wrong.

--
PointedEars
<https://github.com/PointedEars> | <http://PointedEars.de/wsvn/>

Re: Cyrillic cursive letter forms

<5612527.DvuYhMxLoT@PointedEars.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=316&group=comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets#316

From: PointedEars@web.de (Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 04:43:46 +0200
[...]
 by: Thomas 'Pointed - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:43 UTC

Y Lee Coyote wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2022 19:10:29 GMT, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote in
> <cursive-20220728195558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>:
>
>> Unicode is bothering me a bit.
>>
>> Some Cyrillic characters totally change their form when
>> written in italics. The "T" then will look like an "m"
>> (in lower-case italics). But this symbol looking like an
>> "m" and meaning "T" in cyrillic has no code point in
>> Unicode (as far as I know).

See my other, detailed answer.

>> [utter nonsense removed]
>
> Investigate using web fonts and/or embedded fonts. Search <<including font
> in html>>

This will not help because it is not a bug, but a feature.