May you do Good Magic with Perl. -- Larry Wall's blessing

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: In defense of snaps

SubjectAuthor
* In defense of snapsSaptarshi Roy
+* RE: In defense of snapsTheAppleFox
|`* Re: In defense of snapsAlbert
| +- Re: In defense of snapsMarco Moock
| `- Re: In defense of snapsstepore
+- Re: In defense of snapsMike Easter
+* Re: In defense of snapsJanC
|`- Re: In defense of snapsHenry Crun
`- Re: In defense of snapsDan C

1
In defense of snaps

<tosh1l$17i3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3108&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3108

From: SRoyPC@gmail.com (Saptarshi Roy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: In defense of snaps
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:18:35 +0530
 by: Saptarshi Roy - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 17:48 UTC

Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.

S. Roy

RE: In defense of snaps

<80ksL.1784685$pI23.1112199@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3109&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3109

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: theapplefox@the.apple.fox (TheAppleFox)
Subject: RE: In defense of snaps
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 18:10:12 GMT
 by: TheAppleFox - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:10 UTC

On Sun Jan 1 23:18:35 2023 Saptarshi Roy wrote:
> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
> of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.
>

> S. Roy

Yes, but you know what, dissatisfied users have the right to go and do something else.

I suspect something like "Freebuntu" or "Openbuntu" or "Librebuntu" will spring up from the dissatisfied users creating a fork.

Re: In defense of snaps

<k1e1jpFaejbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3110&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3110

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 10:27:04 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:27 UTC

Saptarshi Roy wrote:
> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
> of the box.

That is correct, but unlike a 'cathedral' operation like MS or Apple,
when you are in the bazaar world, the (lack of) popularity of your
decisions can have an adverse effect.

> Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.

I don't think I agree w/ that part. Maybe RedHat; not so much the
'lesser' enterprise operations like SLES & Canonical.

--
Mike Easter

Re: In defense of snaps

<tosjl8$faj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3111&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3111

From: Albert.Invalid@gmail.com (Albert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:30:00 +0000
 by: Albert - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:30 UTC

On 01/01/2023 18:10, TheAppleFox wrote:
> On Sun Jan 1 23:18:35 2023 Saptarshi Roy wrote:
>> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
>> of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
>> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.
>>

>> S. Roy
> Yes, but you know what, dissatisfied users have the right to go and do something else.
>
> I suspect something like "Freebuntu" or "Openbuntu" or "Librebuntu" will spring up from the dissatisfied users creating a fork.

But the impact on Canonical's business model won't see any significant
impact because Linux distros have come and gone but Canonical is still here.

Ubuntu is not an open source project. I don't know what does this mean:
"open source from cloud to desktop and devices". The back-end is open
source but the UI is very tightly controlled. Have you seen the source
code of the UI anywhere?

As far as I can see Ubuntu is supported by most Cloud platform but you
will be hard pressed to find Mint anywhere on the major cloud suppliers
like Azure, Google, IBM, Oracle etc etc. Ubuntu is a serious product
built on the premise that it should be self financing while most distros
depend on volunteers and they can come and go and some may even fall out
because of disagreements about something. Ubuntu employs people so they
will work to be paid or simply move on and do something else.

Re: In defense of snaps

<toskb1$1e8th$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3112&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3112

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 19:44:49 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:44 UTC

Am 01.01.2023 um 18:30:00 Uhr schrieb Albert:

> Ubuntu is not an open source project. I don't know what does this
> mean: "open source from cloud to desktop and devices". The back-end
> is open source but the UI is very tightly controlled. Have you seen
> the source code of the UI anywhere?

Ubuntu uses GNOME as its default GUI. This is free software, so you
have all the rights, including reading the source code.

Re: In defense of snaps

<totsq4$1mgaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3114&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3114

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 22:15:32 -0800
 by: stepore - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 06:15 UTC

On 1/1/23 10:30, Albert wrote:
> Ubuntu is not an open source project.

It most certainly is. Don't go talking nonsense and spreading lies.

> <snip> The back-end is open
> source but the UI is very tightly controlled. Have you seen the source
> code of the UI anywhere?

WTF are you talking about? Please just stop talking. This is embarrassing.

Re: In defense of snaps

<pan$1499c$d88799af$39b41982$e4f3929a@janc.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3133&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3133

From: janc+usenet@janc.be.invalid (JanC)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 05:03:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: JanC - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 05:03 UTC

On Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:18:35 +0530, Saptarshi Roy wrote:

> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
> of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.

An enterprise distro that comes with a browser that you can’t use to file
your taxes (or otherwise interact with the government) in several
countries, because you can’t use smartcards (and thus no eID) inside
snaps? I don’t call that an enterprise distro...

(Also, the forced updates are another issue for enterprises, I would
think.)

--
JanC

Re: In defense of snaps

<k31k6qFht88U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3137&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3137

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:57:14 +0200
 by: Henry Crun - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 07:57 UTC

On 21/01/2023 7:03, JanC wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:18:35 +0530, Saptarshi Roy wrote:
>
>> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
>> of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
>> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.
>
> An enterprise distro that comes with a browser that you can’t use to file
> your taxes (or otherwise interact with the government) in several
> countries, because you can’t use smartcards (and thus no eID) inside
> snaps? I don’t call that an enterprise distro...
>
> (Also, the forced updates are another issue for enterprises, I would
> think.)

Because of my personal objection to systemd, I am in the (slow) process of moving from Ubuntu to mxlinux.
So far have moved a couple of laptops.
As a side benefit -- without systemd, there are no snaps, OOTB.
Also there is a useful snapshot built-in, memories of Remastersys, which I used for a few years.
Just one data point.

Mike
--
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#befor

Re: In defense of snaps

<pan$93966$4f36fadb$b32d1e51$50f2bc41@moria.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3141&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3141

From: youmustbejoking@lan.invalid (Dan C)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 03:51:19 GMT
 by: Dan C - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 03:51 UTC

On Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:18:35 +0530, Saptarshi Roy wrote:

> Canonical as the publisher of Ubuntu has every right to offer snaps out
> of the box. Personal preferences don't matter as far as enterprise
> oriented distributions like RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu are concerned.

Ubuntu.... enterprise distro? Hahahahahahahahaha LOL

Dumbass.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.