Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 01:44:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host
From: hallayee@gmail.com (H A)
 by: H A - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:44 UTC

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-8, dav...@sky.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 February 2021 at 14:20:22 UTC, bepo29...@gmail.com wrote:
> > x...@sky.com schrieb am Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021 um 13:25:44 UTC:
> > > >
> > > So it's only your Outlook account that isn't working now?
> > > When you try to check it, presumably you get an error message.
> > > What does it say if you look at the last SSL info on the Incoming Mail tab of the profile settings?
> > Yes, only Outlook needs setting up, yet.
> > I went to the online inbox because I read somewhere that one has to enable pop. So I did that, although I thought it was enabled already.
> > I checked the pop and smtp servers. Looks all good so far, only the "TLS" and "STARTTLS" is a struggle, because I don't know which is which in Eudora language...
> > What is what in Eudora? There we have only the options below
> >
> > - never
> > - if available, STARTTLS
> > - required, alternative port
> > - required, STARTTLS
> > When I then check last SSL I get the following warning message: "You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality)."
> >
> > (It's true, it's the first time I check the SSL connection.) ;-)
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> So you've never actually made a connection with that personality, if you had, even if it failed, the SSL Info would tell you why it failed.
> I'm pretty sure you should be set to "Required, Alternate port" as you are for your other personalities.
> If that doesn't work, double check that you have the correct information entered for your account.
> What error message do you actually get when you try checking for mail?

Help! I'm having trouble sending emails with Eudora with an Office365 email. I did the HERMES patch last year and things were fine until a couple weeks ago. The issue seems to be the outgoing SMTP port. It's been set to use 587 and has given TSLv1 since I did the patch last year. Hasn't been an issue but now emails aren't sent right away and I have to make several send attempts before it finally goes. I guess they've let TSLv1 slip through as it's gradually phased out but this won't be possible for me in a few days when our organization disallows TSLv1 for good. I've tried "Required, alternate port" for the SMTP server (port 465) but Eudora just hangs and doesn't send the email. Only port 587 with multiple attempts works for sending emails. Funny enough, the incoming IMAP port is 993 and I get TLSv1.2 no problem. I also have another pop-based gmail personality with Eudora and that yields TSLv1.2 no problem. So I believe the HERMES patch worked but what is going on with the SMTP server???
Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks much.

Re: Eudora 7.1.0.9 on windows 7 connection closed by foreign host

<bf895e73-69b8-432b-92bf-d9f0d7c6f322n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=313&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#313

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 02:37:04 -0800 (PST)
From: inpuneet@gmail.com (inpu...@gmail.com)
 by: inpu...@gmail.com - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:37 UTC

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 15:14:24 UTC+5:30, H A wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-8, dav...@sky.com wrote:

> > > Yes, only Outlook needs setting up, yet.
> > > I went to the online inbox because I read somewhere that one has to enable pop. So I did that, although I thought it was enabled already.
> > > I checked the pop and smtp servers. Looks all good so far, only the "TLS" and "STARTTLS" is a struggle, because I don't know which is which in Eudora language...
> > > What is what in Eudora? There we have only the options below
> > >
> > > - never
> > > - if available, STARTTLS
> > > - required, alternative port
> > > - required, STARTTLS
> > > When I then check last SSL I get the following warning message: "You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality)."
> > >
> > > (It's true, it's the first time I check the SSL connection.) ;-)
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > So you've never actually made a connection with that personality, if you had, even if it failed, the SSL Info would tell you why it failed.
> > I'm pretty sure you should be set to "Required, Alternate port" as you are for your other personalities.
> > If that doesn't work, double check that you have the correct information entered for your account.
> > What error message do you actually get when you try checking for mail?
> Help! I'm having trouble sending emails with Eudora with an Office365 email. I did the HERMES patch last year and things were fine until a couple weeks ago. The issue seems to be the outgoing SMTP port. It's been set to use 587 and has given TSLv1 since I did the patch last year. Hasn't been an issue but now emails aren't sent right away and I have to make several send attempts before it finally goes. I guess they've let TSLv1 slip through as it's gradually phased out but this won't be possible for me in a few days when our organization disallows TSLv1 for good. I've tried "Required, alternate port" for the SMTP server (port 465) but Eudora just hangs and doesn't send the email. Only port 587 with multiple attempts works for sending emails. Funny enough, the incoming IMAP port is 993 and I get TLSv1.2 no problem.. I also have another pop-based gmail personality with Eudora and that yields TSLv1.2 no problem. So I believe the HERMES patch worked but what is going on with the SMTP server???
> Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks much.

there is no exact way to fix the problem is its a hit and trial and some time it works and some time not, but after some hit and trail its working.

Zino
Computer Technician