Less is more or less more -- Y_Plentyn on #LinuxGER

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: Marek says "hi"

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Marek says "hi"Mike Easter
+* Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"Bit Twister
|+* Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"Mike Easter
||+- Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"Bit Twister
||`* Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"andrew
|| `- Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"mechanic
|`- Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"Bud Frede
`- Re: Marek says "hi"Aragorn

1
Re: Marek says "hi"

<k0eg9kFfk2hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3054&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3054

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Marek says "hi"
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:21:23 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:21 UTC

Aragorn wrote:
> Thunderbird is a horrible newsreader — it doesn't even recognize
> crossposts, and its filtering abilities are ridiculously inadequate for
> Usenet.

Those are very true and very big deficiencies for a newsreader which is
all I use Tb for.

However, Claws won't compose/send in format=flowed and won't
reformat/rewrap, both of which I consider my preferences for usenet.
Claws will only 'respect' format=flowed (not create) which isn't enough
for me. Claws also has a problem about how it does quotes. A single
quote character should be followed by a space, but 'nested' or stacked
quotes should not have 'extra' spaces like that.

So, I'm stuck w/ Tb deficiencies because I won't accept such as Claws
deficiencies; it is a matter of 'choice'. Tb is also 'bloated' because
of its policy of considering itself an html composer/renderer email
agent which marries it to that moz engine.

Back to your topic; does Marek participate in any 'online' activities
(blogs, forums) related to his interest in languages?

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<slrntq47de.1bru.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3055&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3055

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:40:13 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:40 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:21:23 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
> Aragorn wrote:
>> Thunderbird is a horrible newsreader — it doesn't even recognize
>> crossposts, and its filtering abilities are ridiculously inadequate for
>> Usenet.
>
> Those are very true and very big deficiencies for a newsreader which is
> all I use Tb for.
>
> However, Claws won't compose/send in format=flowed and won't
> reformat/rewrap, both of which I consider my preferences for usenet.
> Claws will only 'respect' format=flowed (not create) which isn't enough
> for me. Claws also has a problem about how it does quotes. A single
> quote character should be followed by a space, but 'nested' or stacked
> quotes should not have 'extra' spaces like that.
>
> So, I'm stuck w/ Tb deficiencies because I won't accept such as Claws
> deficiencies; it is a matter of 'choice'. Tb is also 'bloated' because
> of its policy of considering itself an html composer/renderer email
> agent which marries it to that moz engine.

Hehe, I use slrn as my Usenet client.
https://slrn.info/links.html

You can set SLRN_EDITOR=editor_of_your_choice_here
and when you post/reply you will be in the editor of choice.

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<k0en58FgjqdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3056&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3056

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:18:31 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:18 UTC

Bit Twister wrote:
> Hehe, I use slrn as my Usenet client.
> https://slrn.info/links.html
>
> You can set SLRN_EDITOR=editor_of_your_choice_here
> and when you post/reply you will be in the editor of choice.

Long ago I considered messing around w/ slrn, back when Andrew had slrn
pages on his 'little corner of the web' which has since been brought
into Ub Help.

My favorite text-interface news (&mail) agent is Alpine because of the
way it has integrated its help and configuration into its interface. I
always felt that strategy would be a good one for slrn and some other
text-based tools.

I can't think of any text editors including those in mail/news agents
which can easily reformat w/o 'building' some kind of regex or algo or
macro to do it. Tb's isn't 'perfect' but it is pretty good.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<slrntq4ads.1los.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3057&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3057

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:31:40 -0600
 by: Bit Twister - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:31 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 13:18:31 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
> Bit Twister wrote:
>> Hehe, I use slrn as my Usenet client.
>> https://slrn.info/links.html
>>
>> You can set SLRN_EDITOR=editor_of_your_choice_here
>> and when you post/reply you will be in the editor of choice.
>
> Long ago I considered messing around w/ slrn, back when Andrew had slrn
> pages on his 'little corner of the web' which has since been brought
> into Ub Help.

Yeah, I have to pull it from sourceforge, and build it for secure connections
to NNTPSERVER=snews://reader443.eternal-september.org

> I can't think of any text editors including those in mail/news agents
> which can easily reformat w/o 'building' some kind of regex or algo or
> macro to do it. Tb's isn't 'perfect' but it is pretty good.

Me thinks slrn just adds the reply level indicators and calls editor
of choice.

Currently using geany as my editor.

Re: Marek says "hi"

<20221221071153.214eaa04@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3060&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3060

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:11:53 +0100
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:11 UTC

On 20.12.2022 at 11:21, Mike Easter scribbled:

> Aragorn wrote:
> > Thunderbird is a horrible newsreader — it doesn't even recognize
> > crossposts, and its filtering abilities are ridiculously inadequate
> > for Usenet.
>
> Those are very true and very big deficiencies for a newsreader which
> is all I use Tb for.
>
> However, Claws won't compose/send in format=flowed and won't
> reformat/rewrap, both of which I consider my preferences for usenet.

It doesn't do "format=flowed", but it does rewrap. However, it takes
some minor intervention from the user. You have to put the cursor on a
space between two words, delete the space and then retype it. This
will automatically rewrap the text, albeit that it doesn't work well
with nested quotes.
> Claws will only 'respect' format=flowed (not create) which isn't
> enough for me. Claws also has a problem about how it does quotes. A
> single quote character should be followed by a space, but 'nested' or
> stacked quotes should not have 'extra' spaces like that.
>
> So, I'm stuck w/ Tb deficiencies because I won't accept such as Claws
> deficiencies; it is a matter of 'choice'. Tb is also 'bloated'
> because of its policy of considering itself an html composer/renderer
> email agent which marries it to that moz engine.

Yes, Thunderbird is really Firefox under the hood. That's another
gripe I have with it: that whole HTML business.

> Back to your topic; does Marek participate in any 'online' activities
> (blogs, forums) related to his interest in languages?

Only on Facebook, I believe, but not under the name Marek Novotny, and
he wants to keep his real identity a secret — for obvious reasons, i.e.
he has been dealing with a stalker for many years now, and that was the
main reason he abandoned both Usenet and his YouTube channel.

I know his real name, but I promised him I'm not going to reveal it,
and so I won't.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<Iq1pL.1085$eRZ7.124@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3066&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3066

From: frede@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:34:14 -0500
 by: Bud Frede - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 18:34 UTC

Bit Twister <BitTwister@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:21:23 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Aragorn wrote:
>>> Thunderbird is a horrible newsreader — it doesn't even recognize
>>> crossposts, and its filtering abilities are ridiculously inadequate for
>>> Usenet.
>>
>> Those are very true and very big deficiencies for a newsreader which is
>> all I use Tb for.
>>
>> However, Claws won't compose/send in format=flowed and won't
>> reformat/rewrap, both of which I consider my preferences for usenet.
>> Claws will only 'respect' format=flowed (not create) which isn't enough
>> for me. Claws also has a problem about how it does quotes. A single
>> quote character should be followed by a space, but 'nested' or stacked
>> quotes should not have 'extra' spaces like that.
>>
>> So, I'm stuck w/ Tb deficiencies because I won't accept such as Claws
>> deficiencies; it is a matter of 'choice'. Tb is also 'bloated' because
>> of its policy of considering itself an html composer/renderer email
>> agent which marries it to that moz engine.
>

> Hehe, I use slrn as my Usenet client.
> https://slrn.info/links.html
>
> You can set SLRN_EDITOR=editor_of_your_choice_here
> and when you post/reply you will be in the editor of choice.

I use gnus as my Usenet client. You can set it to use whatever editor
you like, although I find that emacs works just fine for editing posts.
:-)

I use vim for all of my other editing though.

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<20221223161319.480@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3068

From: andrew@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 23 Dec 2022 05:18:14 GMT
 by: andrew - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 05:18 UTC

On 2022-12-20, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Long ago I considered messing around w/ slrn, back when Andrew had
> slrn pages on his 'little corner of the web' which has since been
> brought into Ub Help.

Every time I rewrite a section of that web site I wonder if I should
write some more slrn information but I have not done so yet. Partly
because Usenet has slowed down so much I guess.

Mind you I am retired now so I should make a final effort with slrn
documentation...

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Re: [OT] Marek says "hi"

<17ec5i34da8jr.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3070&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3070

From: mechanic@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:10:59 +0000
 by: mechanic - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:10 UTC

On 23 Dec 2022 05:18:14 GMT, andrew wrote:

> On 2022-12-20, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Long ago I considered messing around w/ slrn, back when Andrew had
>> slrn pages on his 'little corner of the web' which has since been
>> brought into Ub Help.
>
> Every time I rewrite a section of that web site I wonder if I should
> write some more slrn information but I have not done so yet. Partly
> because Usenet has slowed down so much I guess.
>
> Mind you I am retired now so I should make a final effort with slrn
> documentation...
>
> Andrew

Don't worry mate, we're happy to use 'tin' instead.