Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT: Roebling vacuum tubes
From: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com (undefined Hancock-4)
 by: undefined Hancock-4 - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:55 UTC

The J.A. Roebling & Sons company, developers of the design and cable
that built the Brooklyn Bridge and many other suspension bridges,
advertised its contributions to the war effort and the quality of its products
during WW II. Some ads included postwar dreams, as many manufacturers
advertised during the war years. While Roebling didn't make vacuum tubes,
it did make the electrical wire and insulation for them. Roebling's principal
products were wire rope and cable made of high grade steel, but also wire
and wire products.

The Roebling family sold the company to Colorado Fuel & Iron circa 1950.

The Roebling Divison was shut down in 1974, and I think parent CF&I is
gone, too. Supposedly a giant multi-story cable winding machine exists in
the middle of a supermarket occupying a former Roebling building.

ObComputers: It appears Roebling used IBM timeclocks for workers.
However, it appears they used bookkeeping machines (NCR or Burroughs) to
prepare payroll checks and stubs. I don't know if they or the parent company
used computers for engineering. Indeed, I think most of Roebling's
suspension bridges were built before the computer era.

Here are some of their wartime ads. Some of their ads are a little funky, but interesting stuff, and reflective of industrial wartime ads.

tubes go into business
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1943-01-OCR-Page-0013.pdf#search=%22roebling%20tube%22

tubes baby sitting
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1943-07-OCR-Page-0023.pdf#search=%22roebling%20tube%22

tubes and modern home appliances
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1943-03-OCR-Page-0033.pdf#search=%22roebling%20tube%22

doing its best
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1943-11-OCR-Page-0035.pdf#search=%22roebling%20doing%20its%20best%22

magnet wire background of quality
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/50s/57/Electronics-1957-07-OCR-Page-0103.pdf#search=%22roebling%20in%20the%20foreground%22

wire and nothing else
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1944-08-OCR-Page-0064.pdf#search=%22roebling%20making%20wire%22

welding electrode wire high quality
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1944-06-OCR-Page-0223.pdf#search=%22roebling%20making%20wire%22

Tubes come marching home (this ad is a little weird): [right side]
https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/40s/Electronics-1943-057.pdf#search=%22roebling%20tubes%22

ad for wire rope
https://books.google.com/books?id=MxYkAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&lpg=RA10-PA31&dq=technic%20roebling&pg=RA12-PA35#v=onepage&q&f=false

ad for product line
https://books.google.com/books?id=MxYkAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&lpg=RA10-PA31&dq=technic%20roebling&pg=RA6-PA29#v=onepage&q&f=false

bobby pins (flat wire)
https://books.google.com/books?id=NBUkAAAAMAAJ&lpg=RA15-PA28&vq=roebling&dq=michigan%20technic&pg=RA5-PA34#v=onepage&q&f=false

computers / alt.folklore.computers / OT: Roebling vacuum tubes