From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Marek says "hi"
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 18:10:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 18:10 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:36:25 +0100, Aragorn wrote:

>Snip

> I use KMail for email, but I use Claws Mail for Usenet. I would have
> preferred Pan, but Pan appears to be very unstable in Manjaro — it's a
> package we pull in directly from Arch. I've tried building it from
> (Arch's) sources on my own computer, but the result was the same; it
> crashes upon downloading the headers when freshly subscribing to a
> newsgroup.

Just curious what version of Pan you tried out. I'm using Pan 0.145 on
LMDE 5 and it is pretty solid so far, no crashes, no loading or posting
issues. I cannot say the same for Pan 0.146, that is pretty buggy, one of
the biggest issues with it is I cannot post to a newsgroup either a
followup or new post. So I've locked my system to stay on Pan 0.145.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Marek says "hi"

<20221221070003.474daa4a@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3059&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3059

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:00:03 +0100
 by: Aragorn - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 06:00 UTC

On 20.12.2022 at 18:10, Killadebug scribbled:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:36:25 +0100, Aragorn wrote:
>
> > I use KMail for email, but I use Claws Mail for Usenet. I would
> > have preferred Pan, but Pan appears to be very unstable in Manjaro
> > — it's a package we pull in directly from Arch. I've tried
> > building it from (Arch's) sources on my own computer, but the
> > result was the same; it crashes upon downloading the headers when
> > freshly subscribing to a newsgroup.
>
> Just curious what version of Pan you tried out. I'm using Pan 0.145
> on LMDE 5 and it is pretty solid so far, no crashes, no loading or
> posting issues. I cannot say the same for Pan 0.146, that is pretty
> buggy, one of the biggest issues with it is I cannot post to a
> newsgroup either a followup or new post. So I've locked my system to
> stay on Pan 0.145.

Oh gosh, I don't remember the version anymore. That was way back in May
2019, after I had just installed Manjaro. I came from several years
of PCLinuxOS at that point in time, where I had been using Pan without
any problems — I liked its filtering, and how easy it was to edit the
score file.

But back then, Pan on Manjaro was problematic, and it appeared as if I
was also the only person on the support forum who actually still
monitored Usenet — I doubt whether that will have changed in the
meantime — so I couldn't really get any advice or support there.

I was also not involved with Manjaro itself yet at that point, and thus
I also didn't know that the Pan in the Manjaro repository was simply the
Arch package that was literally imported. But I was given the advice
by a now former staff member to try the version in the AUR — the Arch
User Repository, which contains user-maintained build scripts that pull
in the upstream sources, whatever the upstream may be — and so I built
it from scratch, but it was still just as broken as the one from the
binary package.

I then tried Thunderbird as an alternative for a while, but like I
said, Thunderbird is a horrible newsreader — even though it supports
Usenet, it was never designed to be anything more than an email client.
And then that's when I installed Claws Mail. It's not that great as a
newsreader either, but at least it's usable, and it's better than
Thunderbird.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn