From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: uBlock Origin
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 16:37:25 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 23:37 UTC

Windows 7
SeaMonkey 2.53.15

So I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30. Now, where can I learn how to
use it?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: uBlock Origin

<k916q6Fska5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=300&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#300

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: uBlock Origin
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 16:46:13 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 23:46 UTC

David E. Ross wrote:
> So I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30. Now, where can I learn how to
> use it?

There's a wiki at github and the last items say 'good external guides'

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki

.... but the guides are a vid (which I generally don't like), a b0rken
link, and a so-called cheat sheet which I haven't studied yet.

--
Mike Easter

Re: uBlock Origin

<u0ghbr$2ssaf$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=301&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#301

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 08:50:33 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 06:50 UTC

David E. Ross expressed precisely :
> So I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30. Now, where can I learn how to
> use it?

there's nothing to learn, it works out-of-the-box

you can disable the extension for some sites clicking on the button bar
icon and then on the proper command button: that's all, folks!

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: uBlock Origin

<k926qhF2ogiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=302&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#302

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:52:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 08:52 UTC

Ammammata wrote:

> David E. Ross expressed precisely :
>
>> So I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30.  Now, where can I learn how to
>> use it?
>
> there's nothing to learn, it works out-of-the-box

I now use ghostery as my primary blocker, but there are still pages
where I enable ublock to deal with specific annoying pop-ups and lazy
paywalls that use a full-screen grey layer.

It is helpful to know how to use the element zapper on pages as a
one-off, and the element picker to make permanent display filters.

Re: uBlock Origin

<u0hjm5$3g4pt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=303&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#303

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:36:19 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:36 UTC

David E. Ross wrote:
> Windows 7
> SeaMonkey 2.53.15
>
> So I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30. Now, where can I learn how to
> use it?

I found that when I moved to uBlock from AdBlock Plus, I had to get out
of the habit of obsessively refining my settings and preferences. And
yes, it's not as well documented, especially for a novice user. The
developer's documentation can be found at
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/.

There are two ways of interacting with uBlock.

If you go into the Add-Ons manager, and look at uBlock, the link to the
developer's page at github is shown prominently. The material you want
is going to be in the wiki at https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki

For practical purposes, there are two primary ways of interacting with
uBlock:

- In the Add-ons manager, use the Show Dashboard button to get to most
of the settings, especially for choosing which filter lists you want to use.

- If you right-click on a graphic, then there's a menu entry for uBlock,
and when you select that, there are options for picking blocking of that
specific graphic, picking other elements in the page, as well as a
preview of what things will look like for whatever choices you make.

I find the latter to be useful in creating my own rules. At some pages,
there may be graphical content that isn't advertising, but is simply
stuff that I don't want to see (especially every time that I visit a
particular site). That includes things like banners or even frames (I
think I have the term right) with multiple elements.

It takes some trial-and-error, and it's worth going carefully to not be
too aggressive in blocking. Over time, I've found that I've done enough
blocking on sites that I see regularly, that I rarely have to do
additional tuning.

Smith