Egotist: A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me. -- Ambrose Bierce

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

SubjectAuthor
* Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
+* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerRene Lamontagne
|`* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
| `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerRene Lamontagne
|  `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
|   `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerRene Lamontagne
|    `- Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
+* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerPaul in Houston TX
|`* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
| `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerPaul in Houston TX
|  `- Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
`* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJava Jive
 `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
  `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJava Jive
   `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei
    `* Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJim Dell
     `- Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computerJess Fertudei

1
Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sNSdnSio151yNRz8nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2972&group=alt.windows7.general#2972

Subject: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer
From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 17:09:05 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 21:09 UTC

Hello again

Samsung Printer CLP325W
Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1

I have been running this printer model for 11 years, first on an XP box
then the last 6 years on this Win7 box. Actually, I have two of the
same printer, one of which sat on the shelf when the XP box died. The
printer been a rock solid performer until one day when it started
behaving erratically from time to time.

It would, from time to time print a page, send up a blank and then
print 1 or maybe 8 extra copies. Then it started sometimes throwing up
6 or 7 blanks so fast that it would jam. I sent it to a respected old
printer repair shop nearby and they said they could not get it to
duplicate the error. They cleaned, re-gripped it and then printed me
copies of the US Constitution (many, many pages) on it and it was fine.
I brought it home and it did the same old thing again. Sometimes it
would surprise me and print a single page right, but not often and soon
I damaged the belt with the jams. It is very consistent, however, that
when it malfuntions, it always prints one page correct, then throws the
blank and then then prints correct but uncalled for multiples.

So, what did I try?:

I pulled out the other unit from storage and hooked it up, Win7
installed it quickly and I uninstalled the other one. The only thing
that printer had from the old one is that I swapped the new toners and
drum. It quickly started the same behaviors as the other printer. I
tried uninstalling and reinstalling updated drivers from the HP/Samsung
over and over again.

I tried uninstalling with Revo and then fresh installing the original
printer software as shipped after that. The installer CD will only go
to accepting license and then freezing. I tried going to ‘update
driver’ in properties and used Have Disk but browsing does not show me
Win7 drivers… only 2000, XP, Vista and a random Win64. I tried going
through each of those and in all instances it says none found. This was
absolutely a Win 7 support printer and I even looked at the manual to
reassure myself of that.

So… I have gone back to the drivers I downloaded (dated 2017) and
returned it to the same crippled state.

I don’t understand… they both ran fine on these drivers before, one of
them for a long time and lots of pages. When connected to another box,
it runs fine.

Is there something in Windows itself that can be causing it to
malfunction aside from the drivers? It seems to me that the issue has
to be Windows related but I don’t know where to go if ripping hair over
the drivers didn’t work.

What to do next?

TIA

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<iuds7uF66huU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2973&group=alt.windows7.general#2973

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 17:26:07 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:26 UTC

On 2021-11-02 4:09 p.m., Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Hello again
>
> Samsung Printer CLP325W
> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1
>

> I have been running this printer model for 11 years, first on an XP box
> then the last 6 years on this Win7 box. Actually, I have two of the same
> printer, one of which sat on the shelf when the XP box died. The printer
> been a rock solid performer until one day when it started behaving
> erratically from time to time.
>
> It would, from time to time print a page, send up a blank and then print
> 1 or maybe 8 extra copies. Then it started sometimes throwing up 6 or 7
> blanks so fast that it would jam. I sent it to a respected old printer
> repair shop nearby and they said they could not get it to duplicate the
> error. They cleaned, re-gripped it and then printed me copies of the US
> Constitution (many, many pages) on it and it was fine. I brought it home
> and it did the same old thing again. Sometimes it would surprise me and
> print a single page right, but not often and soon I damaged the belt
> with the jams. It is very consistent, however, that when it malfuntions,
> it always prints one page correct, then throws the blank and then then
> prints correct but uncalled for multiples.
>
> So, what did I try?:
>
> I pulled out the other unit from storage and hooked it up, Win7
> installed it quickly and I uninstalled the other one. The only thing
> that printer had from the old one is that I swapped the new toners and
> drum. It quickly started the same behaviors as the other printer. I
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling updated drivers from the HP/Samsung
> over and over again.
>
> I tried uninstalling with Revo and then fresh installing the original
> printer software as shipped after that. The installer CD will only go to
> accepting license and then freezing. I tried going to ‘update driver’ in
> properties and used Have Disk but browsing does not show me Win7
> drivers… only 2000, XP, Vista and a random Win64. I tried going through
> each of those and in all instances it says none found. This was
> absolutely a Win 7 support printer and I even looked at the manual to
> reassure myself of that.
>
> So… I have gone back to the drivers I downloaded (dated 2017) and
> returned it to the same crippled state.
>
> I don’t understand… they both ran fine on these drivers before, one of
> them for a long time and lots of pages. When connected to another box,
> it runs fine.
>
> Is there something in Windows itself that can be causing it to
> malfunction aside from the drivers? It seems to me that the issue has to
> be Windows related but I don’t know where to go if ripping hair over the
> drivers didn’t work.
>
> What to do next?
>

> TIA

Possibly a corrupt Windows spooler file, here is 1 fix, many others also
by Googling 'Corrupt spooler file'.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/124766-print-spooler

Rene

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<_pKdnaAEjIjTFx_8nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2974&group=alt.windows7.general#2974

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 09:10:40 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 13:10 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/2/2021 :
> [...]
>> those and in all instances it says none found. This was absolutely a Win 7
>> support printer and I even looked at the manual to reassure myself of that.
>>
>> So… I have gone back to the drivers I downloaded (dated 2017) and returned
>> it to the same crippled state.
>>
>> I don’t understand… they both ran fine on these drivers before, one of them
>> for a long time and lots of pages. When connected to another box, it runs
>> fine.
>>
>> Is there something in Windows itself that can be causing it to malfunction
>> aside from the drivers? It seems to me that the issue has to be Windows
>> related but I don’t know where to go if ripping hair over the drivers
>> didn’t work.
>>
>> What to do next?
>>

>> TIA
>

> Possibly a corrupt Windows spooler file, here is 1 fix, many others also by

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested, I looked over some sites about this issue and did the:
Stop spooler, went to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers, and the
folder was already empty. I have restarted the spooler and tried
printing... results were 1 correct page as called for, 2 needless
blanks, then another correct page not asked for and then 1 blank that
jams. This printer does not have a manual feed button to clear jams and
I am afraid that I will damage it by pulling with brute force, just as
I damaged the other identical one.
Now wondering what next, again.

Thanks agian for the reply.

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<iufpduFh7jtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2975&group=alt.windows7.general#2975

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 08:50:20 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 13:50 UTC

On 2021-11-03 8:10 a.m., Jess Fertudei wrote:
> [...]
>>> over the drivers didn’t work.
>>>
>>> What to do next?
>>>

>>> TIA
>>

>> Possibly a corrupt Windows spooler file, here is 1 fix, many others
>> also by Googling  'Corrupt spooler file'.
>>
>> https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/124766-print-spooler
>>
>> Rene
>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> As suggested, I looked over some sites about this issue and did the:
> Stop spooler, went to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers, and the folder
> was already empty. I have restarted the spooler and tried printing...
> results were 1 correct page as called for, 2 needless blanks, then
> another correct page not asked for and then 1 blank that jams. This
> printer does not have a manual feed button to clear jams and I am afraid
> that I will damage it by pulling with brute force, just as I damaged the

Not sure, but it still seems to be a Windows spool problem.I will
suggest this as a drastic measure but may work, FIRST, do a backup of
your C:\drive with a good backup program in case something goes haywire,
,Then do an inplace repair install with the Windows 7 disc or A
downloaded ISO file with the save all my files and programs checked ,
this should fix any Windows problems.
This is all I can suggest unless someone else has some other suggestions.

Rene

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sluqu5$mv2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2977&group=alt.windows7.general#2977

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 15:20:11 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:20 UTC

Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Hello again
>
> Samsung Printer CLP325W
> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1
>

> I have been running this printer model for 11 years, first on an XP box
> then the last 6 years on this Win7 box. Actually, I have two of the same
> printer, one of which sat on the shelf when the XP box died. The printer
> been a rock solid performer until one day when it started behaving
> erratically from time to time.
>
> It would, from time to time print a page, send up a blank and then print
> 1 or maybe 8 extra copies. Then it started sometimes throwing up 6 or 7
> blanks so fast that it would jam. I sent it to a respected old printer
> repair shop nearby and they said they could not get it to duplicate the
> error. They cleaned, re-gripped it and then printed me copies of the US
> Constitution (many, many pages) on it and it was fine. I brought it home
> and it did the same old thing again. Sometimes it would surprise me and
> print a single page right, but not often and soon I damaged the belt
> with the jams. It is very consistent, however, that when it malfuntions,
> it always prints one page correct, then throws the blank and then then
> prints correct but uncalled for multiples.
>
> So, what did I try?:
>
> I pulled out the other unit from storage and hooked it up, Win7
> installed it quickly and I uninstalled the other one. The only thing
> that printer had from the old one is that I swapped the new toners and
> drum. It quickly started the same behaviors as the other printer. I
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling updated drivers from the HP/Samsung
> over and over again.
>
> I tried uninstalling with Revo and then fresh installing the original
> printer software as shipped after that. The installer CD will only go to
> accepting license and then freezing. I tried going to ‘update driver’ in
> properties and used Have Disk but browsing does not show me Win7
> drivers… only 2000, XP, Vista and a random Win64. I tried going through
> each of those and in all instances it says none found. This was
> absolutely a Win 7 support printer and I even looked at the manual to
> reassure myself of that.
>
> So… I have gone back to the drivers I downloaded (dated 2017) and
> returned it to the same crippled state.
>
> I don’t understand… they both ran fine on these drivers before, one of
> them for a long time and lots of pages. When connected to another box,
> it runs fine.
>
> Is there something in Windows itself that can be causing it to
> malfunction aside from the drivers? It seems to me that the issue has to
> be Windows related but I don’t know where to go if ripping hair over the
> drivers didn’t work.
>
> What to do next?
>

> TIA

Possibilities:
Bad connection: serial/parallel/usb/wifi.
Bad printer output board: serial/cable/usb.
Bad computer: ram, hdd, bad or corroded plugs.

Did you take your existing cable to the comp shop and have them try it?
Did you try a new cable?
*Have you tried printing from a Linux boot disk or usb, like Kaspersky?*
Since this is an old printer it probably supports DOS.
Have you tried Print from a command prompt?

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<N_adnWR8irAKbx78nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2978&group=alt.windows7.general#2978

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 10:47:52 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:47 UTC

Paul in Houston TX wrote on 11/3/2021 :
> Jess Fertudei wrote:
>> Hello again
>>
>> Samsung Printer CLP325W
>> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1
>>

>> I have been running this printer model for 11 years, first on an XP box
>> then the last 6 years on this Win7 box. Actually, I have two of the same
>> printer, one of which sat on the shelf when the XP box died. The printer
>> been a rock solid performer until one day when it started behaving
>> erratically from time to time.
>>
>> It would, from time to time print a page, send up a blank and then print 1
>> or maybe 8 extra copies. Then it started sometimes throwing up 6 or 7
>> blanks so fast that it would jam. I sent it to a respected old printer
>> repair shop nearby and they said they could not get it to duplicate the
>> error. They cleaned, re-gripped it and then printed me copies of the US
>> Constitution (many, many pages) on it and it was fine. I brought it home
>> and it did the same old thing again. Sometimes it would surprise me and
>> print a single page right, but not often and soon I damaged the belt with
>> the jams. It is very consistent, however, that when it malfuntions, it
>> always prints one page correct, then throws the blank and then then prints
>> correct but uncalled for multiples.
>>
>> So, what did I try?:
>>
>> I pulled out the other unit from storage and hooked it up, Win7 installed
>> it quickly and I uninstalled the other one. The only thing that printer had
>> from the old one is that I swapped the new toners and drum. It quickly
>> started the same behaviors as the other printer. I tried uninstalling and
>> reinstalling updated drivers from the HP/Samsung over and over again.
>>
>> I tried uninstalling with Revo and then fresh installing the original
>> printer software as shipped after that. The installer CD will only go to
>> accepting license and then freezing. I tried going to ‘update driver’ in
>> properties and used Have Disk but browsing does not show me Win7 drivers…
>> only 2000, XP, Vista and a random Win64. I tried going through each of
>> those and in all instances it says none found. This was absolutely a Win 7
>> support printer and I even looked at the manual to reassure myself of that.
>>
>> So… I have gone back to the drivers I downloaded (dated 2017) and returned
>> it to the same crippled state.
>>
>> I don’t understand… they both ran fine on these drivers before, one of them
>> for a long time and lots of pages. When connected to another box, it runs
>> fine.
>>
>> Is there something in Windows itself that can be causing it to malfunction
>> aside from the drivers? It seems to me that the issue has to be Windows
>> related but I don’t know where to go if ripping hair over the drivers
>> didn’t work.
>>
>> What to do next?
>>

>> TIA
>
> Possibilities:
> Bad connection: serial/parallel/usb/wifi.
> Bad printer output board: serial/cable/usb.
Printer output board? whaddya mean? this is two different printers...
and on the computer side, it is usb

> Bad computer: ram, hdd, bad or corroded plugs.

Swithched usb cables to other usb ports repeatedly. They would have to
all suddenly go bad simultaneously
Just upgraded ram and hdd about 1 year ago... computer runs great other
than the print issues.

> Did you take your existing cable to the comp shop and have them try it?
> Did you try a new cable?

Had not considered the cable until reading this, so I did just try
antoher usb-printer cable with same results.
> *Have you tried printing from a Linux boot disk or usb, like Kaspersky?*
> Since this is an old printer it probably supports DOS.
> Have you tried Print from a command prompt?

After reading this, I did try piddleing with a command prompt... been
waaaay too many years since I've done much beside copy/paste a batch
file or three or open and sfc or something too long ago to recall...
got nothing but complaints from DOS that I didn't know what I was
doing, LOL!

Not sure I see the point, anyhow... they ran fine on one Windows box
but neither will run on this Windows box, both printers exhibiting the
same symptoms.

I need this printer to run, so I do appreciate anyone's replies.

Thanks

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<hYSdnWYrd7OlPRj8nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2983&group=alt.windows7.general#2983

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 17:20:55 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 21:20 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/3/2021 :
> On 2021-11-03 8:10 a.m., Jess Fertudei wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/2/2021 :

>>> Possibly a corrupt Windows spooler file, here is 1 fix, many others also
>>> by Googling  'Corrupt spooler file'.
>>>
>>> https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/124766-print-spooler
>>>
>>> Rene
>>

>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> As suggested, I looked over some sites about this issue and did the:
>> Stop spooler, went to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers, and the folder
>> was already empty. I have restarted the spooler and tried printing...
>> results were 1 correct page as called for, 2 needless blanks, then another
>> correct page not asked for and then 1 blank that jams. This printer does
>> not have a manual feed button to clear jams and I am afraid that I will
>> damage it by pulling with brute force, just as I damaged the other
>> identical one.
>> Now wondering what next, again.
>>
>> Thanks agian for the reply.
>
> Not sure, but it still seems to be a Windows spool problem.I will suggest
> this as a drastic measure but may work, FIRST, do a backup of your C:\drive
> with a good backup program in case something goes haywire, ,Then do an
> inplace repair install with the Windows 7 disc or A downloaded ISO file with
> the save all my files and programs checked , this should fix any Windows
> problems.
> This is all I can suggest unless someone else has some other suggestions.
>
> Rene

I do not have the disk as I bought this computer at a hamfest from a
guy who bought them refurbed and reasonably new back then and installed
his OEM copies. I used to do repair installs from my retail cd's on one
XP box that a family member used to hose frequently back in the day,
but it has been a long time. Are there dependable Win7Home sp1 disks
out there somewhere and will they do a repair to an unmatched serial
key?

If I just bought another printer (really don't wanna) what are the
chances that the issue persists, nonetheless? My instinct would be that
if Windows printing is hosed for one it would be for all...

Any other places that anyone knows of that I might ask about resolving
this issue?

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<iuln93FljabU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=alt.windows7.general#2984

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 16:50:28 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 21:50 UTC

On 2021-11-05 4:20 p.m., Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/3/2021 :

>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> As suggested, I looked over some sites about this issue and did the:
>>> Stop spooler, went to C:\Windows\system32\spool\printers, and the
>>> folder was already empty. I have restarted the spooler and tried
>>> printing... results were 1 correct page as called for, 2 needless
>>> blanks, then another correct page not asked for and then 1 blank that
>>> jams. This printer does not have a manual feed button to clear jams
>>> and I am afraid that I will damage it by pulling with brute force,
>>> just as I damaged the other identical one.
>>> Now wondering what next, again.
>>>
>>> Thanks agian for the reply.
>>
>> Not sure, but it still seems to be a Windows spool problem.I will
>> suggest this as a drastic measure but may work, FIRST, do a backup of
>> your C:\drive with a good backup program in case something goes
>> haywire,   ,Then do an inplace repair install with the Windows 7 disc
>> or A downloaded ISO  file with the save all my files and programs
>> checked , this should fix any Windows problems.
>> This is all I can suggest unless someone else has some other suggestions.
>>
>> Rene
>
> I do not have the disk as I bought this computer at a hamfest from a guy
> who bought them refurbed and reasonably new back then and installed his
> OEM copies. I used to do repair installs from my retail cd's on one XP
> box that a family member used to hose frequently back in the day, but it
> has been a long time. Are there dependable Win7Home sp1 disks out there
> somewhere and will they do a repair to an unmatched serial key?
>
> If I just bought another printer (really don't wanna) what are the
> chances that the issue persists, nonetheless? My instinct would be that
> if Windows printing is hosed for one it would be for all...
>
> Any other places that anyone knows of that I might ask about resolving
> this issue?

You can try the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup for more help.

If you decide to try an inplace repair install, you can get a widows 7
ISO from

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Then you wold right click the ISO and choose mount, then click
setup.exe, make sure the options to keep all your files and programs is
checked, it should automatically activate to your old key.

BACKUP FIRST>

Rene

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sm4fuf$937$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2985&group=alt.windows7.general#2985

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:49:32 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:49 UTC

On 02/11/2021 21:09, Jess Fertudei wrote:

> Samsung Printer CLP325W
> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1

It may be relevant to know what program you're trying to print from, and
whether it has been updated recently.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<wsSdndhF2POLShj8nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2986&group=alt.windows7.general#2986

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 21:15:02 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 01:15 UTC

Java Jive wrote on 11/5/2021 :
> On 02/11/2021 21:09, Jess Fertudei wrote:
>>
>> Samsung Printer CLP325W
>> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1
>
> It may be relevant to know what program you're trying to print from, and
> whether it has been updated recently.

Good question that I should have included. It appears to happen from
any program of any kind, PDF, Libre Office Writer, a page from
Firefox... just about anywhere. There is a rare occassion where any
program, including those, will print just the one page as requested...
but that is very rare.

I have also tried to fake it out by telling it to print multiples and
it just seems to do the same only even more-so.

The behavior is exactly the same on both printers.

Thanks for replying.

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<iNqdnbyuDe2aRRj8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2987&group=alt.windows7.general#2987

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 21:19:03 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 01:19 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/5/2021 :
> On 2021-11-05 4:20 p.m., Jess Fertudei wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote on 11/3/2021 :

>>> Not sure, but it still seems to be a Windows spool problem.I will suggest
>>> this as a drastic measure but may work, FIRST, do a backup of your
>>> C:\drive with a good backup program in case something goes haywire,
>>> ,Then do an inplace repair install with the Windows 7 disc or A downloaded
>>> ISO  file with the save all my files and programs checked , this should
>>> fix any Windows problems.
>>> This is all I can suggest unless someone else has some other suggestions.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> I do not have the disk as I bought this computer at a hamfest from a guy
>> who bought them refurbed and reasonably new back then and installed his OEM
>> copies. I used to do repair installs from my retail cd's on one XP box that
>> a family member used to hose frequently back in the day, but it has been a
>> long time. Are there dependable Win7Home sp1 disks out there somewhere and
>> will they do a repair to an unmatched serial key?
>>
>> If I just bought another printer (really don't wanna) what are the chances
>> that the issue persists, nonetheless? My instinct would be that if Windows
>> printing is hosed for one it would be for all...
>>
>> Any other places that anyone knows of that I might ask about resolving this
>> issue?
>
> You can try the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup for more help.
>
> If you decide to try an inplace repair install, you can get a widows 7 ISO
> from
>
> https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool
>
> Then you wold right click the ISO and choose mount, then click setup.exe,
> make sure the options to keep all your files and programs is checked, it
> should automatically activate to your old key.
>
> BACKUP FIRST>
>
> Rene

Thanks for the link.

Will try posting to the printer group... I thought it was dead a couple
years ago and so didn't even try there, since it seemed a Windows
issue. But, if there are posters there, I may try to find time in the
morning to compose a new or modified post to there.

Thanks again

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sm507n$840$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2988&group=alt.windows7.general#2988

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:27:21 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:27 UTC

Jess Fertudei wrote:
> [...]
>> Did you try a new cable?
>
> Had not considered the cable until reading this, so I did just try
> antoher usb-printer cable with same results.
>> *Have you tried printing from a Linux boot disk or usb, like Kaspersky?*
>> Since this is an old printer it probably supports DOS.
>> Have you tried   Print   from a command prompt?
>
> After reading this, I did try piddleing with a command prompt... been
> waaaay too many years since I've done much beside copy/paste a batch
> file or three or open and sfc or something too long ago to recall... got
> nothing but complaints from DOS that I didn't know what I was doing, LOL!
>
> Not sure I see the point, anyhow... they ran fine on one Windows box but
> neither will run on this Windows box, both printers exhibiting the same
> symptoms.
>
> I need this printer to run, so I do appreciate anyone's replies.

Next thing to try is to boot from a Linux disk and then try printing to
rule out a hardware problem.

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sm5suu$90e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2993&group=alt.windows7.general#2993

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:37:46 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 12:37 UTC

On 06/11/2021 01:15, Jess Fertudei wrote:

> Java Jive wrote on 11/5/2021 :
>>
>> On 02/11/2021 21:09, Jess Fertudei wrote:
>>>
>>> Samsung Printer CLP325W
>>> Windows 7 Home 64 bit SP1
>>
>> It may be relevant to know what program you're trying to print from,
>> and whether it has been updated recently.
>
> Good question that I should have included. It appears to happen from any
> program of any kind, PDF, Libre Office Writer, a page from Firefox...
> just about anywhere. There is a rare occassion where any program,
> including those, will print just the one page as requested... but that
> is very rare.
>
> I have also tried to fake it out by telling it to print multiples and it
> just seems to do the same only even more-so.
>
> The behavior is exactly the same on both printers.

If you try printing to a text file, what does the file look like?

Note: I used to do this regularly to debug printing problems in XP, but
don't recall ever having to do it in W7 or later, so can't advise for
sure on how to set up printing to a text file in later versions of
Windows, but I think:
Control Panel
Devices and Printers
Add a printer
(choose a port)
Generic
Generic / Text only

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<ALmdnewLBomzHhv8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2994&group=alt.windows7.general#2994

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:29:18 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:29 UTC

Java Jive wrote on 11/6/2021 :
> On 06/11/2021 01:15, Jess Fertudei wrote:
>>
>> Java Jive wrote on 11/5/2021 :

>>> It may be relevant to know what program you're trying to print from, and
>>> whether it has been updated recently.
>>
>> Good question that I should have included. It appears to happen from any
>> program of any kind, PDF, Libre Office Writer, a page from Firefox... just
>> about anywhere. There is a rare occassion where any program, including
>> those, will print just the one page as requested... but that is very rare.
>>
>> I have also tried to fake it out by telling it to print multiples and it
>> just seems to do the same only even more-so.
>>
>> The behavior is exactly the same on both printers.
>
> If you try printing to a text file, what does the file look like?
>
> Note: I used to do this regularly to debug printing problems in XP, but
> don't recall ever having to do it in W7 or later, so can't advise for sure on
> how to set up printing to a text file in later versions of Windows, but I
> think:
> Control Panel
> Devices and Printers
> Add a printer
> (choose a port)
> Generic
> Generic / Text only

Not sure what I'm doing or shooting for, but I shot anywayz... .. .
I had a simple text file on my desktop named 'answer' with 10 short
lines of text. I set up a text printer as I think you wanted it and
told the page in LibreWriter to print to it. I then opened that file
that was saved to my desktop with notepad and here is what I got
followed by a bunch of gobbledygook.

Here is the results without the gobbledygook. If you want the rest of
it say so.

Thanks

%-12345X@PJL COMMENT "Username: PC Owner"
@PJL COMMENT USERNAME="PC Owner"
@PJL COMMENT DOCNAME="answer"
@PJL SET COPIES=1
@PJL SET COLORMODE=COLOR
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL SET IMAGEQUALITY=1
@PJL SET RGBCOLOR=STANDARD
@PJL DEFAULT SERVICEDATE=20211106
@PJL SET DUPLEX=OFF
@PJL SET PAPERTYPE=OFF
@PJL SET BANNERSHEET=OFF
@PJL SET TIMESTAMP=OFF
@PJL SET USERNAME="PC Owner"
@PJL SET JOBNAME="answer"
@PJL SET CURLPRINTINGMODE=OFF
@PJL SET SCREENMATCHING=Enhanced
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = QPDL

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<1a-dndyGGIL5Hhv8nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2995&group=alt.windows7.general#2995

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:30:11 -0400
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:30 UTC

Paul in Houston TX wrote on 11/6/2021 :
> Jess Fertudei wrote:
>> Paul in Houston TX wrote on 11/3/2021 :

>>> Possibilities:
>>> Bad connection: serial/parallel/usb/wifi.
>>> Bad printer output board:  serial/cable/usb.
>> Printer output board? whaddya mean? this is two different printers... and
>> on the computer side, it is usb
>>
>>> Bad computer: ram, hdd, bad or corroded plugs.
>>
>> Swithched usb cables to other usb ports repeatedly. They would have to all
>> suddenly go bad simultaneously
>> Just upgraded ram and hdd about 1 year ago... computer runs great other
>> than the print issues.
>>>
>>> Did you take your existing cable to the comp shop and have them try it?
>>> Did you try a new cable?
>>
>> Had not considered the cable until reading this, so I did just try antoher
>> usb-printer cable with same results.
>>> *Have you tried printing from a Linux boot disk or usb, like Kaspersky?*
>>> Since this is an old printer it probably supports DOS.
>>> Have you tried   Print   from a command prompt?
>>
>> After reading this, I did try piddleing with a command prompt... been
>> waaaay too many years since I've done much beside copy/paste a batch file
>> or three or open and sfc or something too long ago to recall... got nothing
>> but complaints from DOS that I didn't know what I was doing, LOL!
>>
>> Not sure I see the point, anyhow... they ran fine on one Windows box but
>> neither will run on this Windows box, both printers exhibiting the same
>> symptoms.
>>
>> I need this printer to run, so I do appreciate anyone's replies.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Next thing to try is to boot from a Linux disk and then try printing to rule
> out a hardware problem.

I have not ever used Linux

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<sm8h6q$1krp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3007&group=alt.windows7.general#3007

From: James.Dell@SBCGlobal.net (Jim Dell)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 07:35:37 -0500
 by: Jim Dell - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:35 UTC

Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Java Jive wrote on 11/6/2021 :

>>> Good question that I should have included. It appears to happen from
>>> any program of any kind, PDF, Libre Office Writer, a page from
>>> Firefox... just about anywhere. There is a rare occassion where any
>>> program, including those, will print just the one page as
>>> requested... but that is very rare.
>>>
>>> I have also tried to fake it out by telling it to print multiples and
>>> it just seems to do the same only even more-so.
>>>
>>> The behavior is exactly the same on both printers.
>>
>> If you try printing to a text file, what does the file look like?
>>
>> Note:  I used to do this regularly to debug printing problems in XP,
>> but don't recall ever having to do it in W7 or later, so can't advise
>> for sure on how to set up printing to a text file in later versions of
>> Windows, but I think:
>>     Control Panel
>>     Devices and Printers
>>     Add a printer
>>     (choose a port)
>>     Generic
>>     Generic / Text only
>
> Not sure what I'm doing or shooting for, but I shot anywayz... .. .
> I had a simple text file on my desktop named 'answer' with 10 short
> lines of text. I set up a text printer as I think you wanted it and told
> the page in LibreWriter to print to it. I then opened that file that was
> saved to my desktop with notepad and here is what I got followed by a
> bunch of gobbledygook.
>
> Here is the results without the gobbledygook. If you want the rest of it
> say so.
>
> Thanks
>
> %-12345X@PJL COMMENT "Username: PC Owner"
> @PJL COMMENT USERNAME="PC Owner"
> @PJL COMMENT DOCNAME="answer"
> @PJL SET COPIES=1
> @PJL SET COLORMODE=COLOR
> @PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
> @PJL SET IMAGEQUALITY=1
> @PJL SET RGBCOLOR=STANDARD
> @PJL DEFAULT SERVICEDATE=20211106
> @PJL SET DUPLEX=OFF
> @PJL SET PAPERTYPE=OFF
> @PJL SET BANNERSHEET=OFF
> @PJL SET TIMESTAMP=OFF
> @PJL SET USERNAME="PC Owner"
> @PJL SET JOBNAME="answer"
> @PJL SET CURLPRINTINGMODE=OFF
> @PJL SET SCREENMATCHING=Enhanced
> @PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = QPDL
Looks like it's thinks it's a laser printer?
Is it a laser?

Jim

Re: Printer refuses to behave but only on one computer

<VaydnbtwgrAOhBX8nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=alt.windows7.general#3014

From: not@this.juncture.com (Jess Fertudei)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 13:23:14 -0500
 by: Jess Fertudei - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:23 UTC

Yes. Samsung Printer CLP325W