From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Stuck on minpoll
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 21:52:05 +0100
 by: Roger - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 20:52 UTC

There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".
This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?
--
Roger

Re: Stuck on minpoll

<t30vdp$v1b$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=300&group=comp.protocols.time.ntp#300

From: mlichvar@redhat.com (Miroslav Lichvar)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Re: Stuck on minpoll
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Miroslav Lichvar - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20 UTC

On 2022-04-04, Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".

Those are probably the LeoNTP servers. They respond with a fixed poll
instead of copying the poll value from the client request (as required
by the NTP RFC).

> This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
> Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
> between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?

No, AFAIK the only way to reduce the request rate is to increase
the minpoll.

--
Miroslav Lichvar

Re: Stuck on minpoll

<rqe85hd6u9i2ec9bipstubsrtu8oeokehf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=301&group=comp.protocols.time.ntp#301

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:17:17 +0100
 by: Roger - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:17 UTC

Thank you for your reply.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:20:41 -0000 (UTC), Miroslav Lichvar
<mlichvar@redhat.com> wrote:

>On 2022-04-04, Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> There are a few servers in the pool which return "poll 4".
>
>Those are probably the LeoNTP servers. They respond with a fixed poll
>instead of copying the poll value from the client request (as required
>by the NTP RFC).

Yes, 85.199.214.98-102. Also 87.75.224.75 returns poll 4.

I haven't read the RFC but it did seem to be incorrect
behaviour.

>> This results in a client staying on minpoll for that server.
>> Is there a configuration option which allow clients to move
>> between minpoll and maxpoll for such a server?
>
>No, AFAIK the only way to reduce the request rate is to increase
>the minpoll.

I considered that but it stops ntpd working as designed. My
solution is to use "restrict ... ignore". This stops ntpd from
including a particular server without any adverse effects that
I'm aware of.
--
Roger