From: monstoor@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: An Epic decline?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:00:40 +0100
 by: Robert - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:00 UTC

It has been reported that Epic is laying off some 900 staff, but still
giving away their gaming freebies.
<https://www.bluesnews.com/s/264228/epic-layoffs>
"Some belt-tightening is underway at Epic Games, where as many as 900
staff are being laid off. Amid news of Fortnite V-Bucks price increases
and a new version of the Fortnite Refer a Friend program came an X from
Jason Schreier where the tapped-in Bloomberg reporter revealed layoffs,
and a lot of them, saying: "Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite and Unreal
Engine, is laying off a whopping 16% of employees (or around 900
people), sources tell Bloomberg News. More to come."
That more is already here, as there's a statement confirming the news on
the Epic Games Website. This also includes news of divestitures, as
Bandcamp is being set free. Tim Sweeney says: "We're cutting costs
without breaking development or our core lines of businesses so we can
continue to focus on our ambitious plans. About two-thirds of the
layoffs were in teams outside of core development. Some of our products
and initiatives will land on schedule, and some may not ship when
planned because they are under-resourced for the time being. We’re ok
with the schedule tradeoff if it means holding on to our ability to
achieve our goals, get to the other side of profitability and become a
leading metaverse company.""
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: An Epic decline?

<uf4ofn$3qeev$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2994&group=comp.misc#2994

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: An Epic decline?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:42:31 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:42 UTC

On 9/28/23 15:00, Robert wrote:
> We’re ok with the schedule tradeoff if it means holding on to our ability to
> achieve our goals, get to the other side of profitability and become a
> leading metaverse company."

Metaverse company?! Oh no..

Re: An Epic decline?

<uf602o$625o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2995&group=comp.misc#2995

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:58:14 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:58 UTC

On 28/09/2023 21:42, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/28/23 15:00, Robert wrote:
>> We’re ok with the schedule tradeoff if it means holding on to our
>> ability to achieve our goals, get to the other side of profitability
>> and become a leading metaverse company."
>
> Metaverse company?! Oh no..

so has Faceache actually bought Epic then?

(MS of course are in the process of acquiring Activision.)