Pascal is not a high-level language. -- Steven Feiner

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

SubjectAuthor
* Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !Jordee
+- Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !Zaidy036
+* Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !Paul
|`- Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !Jordee
+- Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !Marble2
`- Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !JJ

1
Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<slp4sd$ntg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=alt.windows7.general#2964

From: Jordee@Noplace.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:33:16 -0700
 by: Jordee - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 16:33 UTC

I am trying to copy files from one folder to another.

It will not let me overwrite or even copy to a new empty folders.

Says I need permission.

Strangely it is only one of three files. All .exe.
The other two do copy over.

File is ffmpeg.exe that will not copy.

I was able only to extract the files from the .7z in the download
folder. I will not extract in the target folder.
..

I tried "Take Ownership" and that did nothing although it said it was
successful.

WHO is doing this to me ?

How do I kill that creep ?

Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<slp9kv$r7m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2965&group=alt.windows7.general#2965

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 13:54:38 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:54 UTC

On 11/1/2021 12:33 PM, Jordee wrote:
> I am trying to copy files from one folder to another.
>
> It will not let me overwrite or even copy to a new empty folders.
>
> Says I need permission.
>
> Strangely it is only one of three files. All .exe.
> The other two do copy over.
>
> File is ffmpeg.exe that will not copy.
>
> I was able only to extract the files from the .7z in the download
> folder.  I will not extract in the target folder.
> .
>
> I tried "Take Ownership" and that did nothing although it said it was
> successful.
>
> WHO is doing this to me ?
>
> How do I kill that creep ?
depends on app used for the copy.

Files which originate in some sub-folders of C:\ may present problems.
Try with XCOPY and look at the errorlevel

Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<slpcb8$gjl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2966&group=alt.windows7.general#2966

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:40:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 18:40 UTC

On 11/1/2021 12:33 PM, Jordee wrote:
> I am trying to copy files from one folder to another.
>
> It will not let me overwrite or even copy to a new empty folders.
>
> Says I need permission.
>
> Strangely it is only one of three files. All .exe.
> The other two do copy over.
>
> File is ffmpeg.exe that will not copy.
>
> I was able only to extract the files from the .7z in the download folder.  I will not extract in the target folder.
> .
>
> I tried "Take Ownership" and that did nothing although it said it was successful.
>
> WHO is doing this to me ?
>
> How do I kill that creep ?

AccessEnum might show you the ownership.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/accessenum

What that program should do, is take not only the "immediate"
permissions into account, it should also climb the tree and
take the "inherited" permissions from directories above
into account. If you don't have permissions for the destination
folder, it might tell you something about the destination.

*******

Discretionary controls are controlled by ACLs.

Manditory Integrity Control uses ACEs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_Integrity_Control

It takes something like fifty web pages to explain windows permissions
model. Many of the additional web pages have to do with servers and domains.

*******

The MoveFiles utility, I believe it uses PendMove to do the dirty work
at boot time. No, this is not a practical utility. I very much doubt it
completely obliterated the permission model either. Maybe it could bypass
MIC (the PendMoves could be running as SYSTEM).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pendmoves

*******

You can check files for blockers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/streams

streams ffmpeg.exe # check for Zone.Identifier

( https://textplain.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/image.png )

streams -d ffmpeg.exe # remove Zone.Identifier stream, leave file intact

See the fun you can have ?

*******

As far as I know, only one person understands this stuff
and that is Jesper Johannson. For some reason, Jesper "became
visible" around the time Vista came out. I think he was
hiding behind the cubicle panel in the picture on this
page, during Windows XP :-) Then, his head popped up and
he wrote a book.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/windows-vista-security-securing-vista-against-malicious-attacks_roger-a-grimes_jesper-m-johansson/1389260/#edition=4803725&idiq=576585

*******

For additional hints, give us two pieces of info.

1) URL of downloaded FFMPEG ZIP, so we can test.

2) Use pseudocode to show us what you were doing with File Explorer.
Here, I'm assuming the Windows zipfile.dll has unpacked your ZIP
into a named folder for easy usage.

copy C:\users\Jordee\Downloads\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe C:\Program Files\bin\

That way, we can ask dumb questions about the project you're doing.

But I rather expect you were attempting something like this :-)

copy C:\users\Jordee\Downloads\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe C:\Windows\System32

and the OS hates it when you do that.

I keep my FFMPEG here.

C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe
C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffplay.exe
C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffprobe.exe

Paul

Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<XnsADD5A36ACF50Dmblainalbany@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=alt.windows7.general#2967

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: mblain2@yahoo.com (Marble2)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 20:03:53 GMT
 by: Marble2 - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 20:03 UTC

Right-click Windows Explorer and choose "Run as Administrator", then
try your file copy from there. Any improvement?

Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<1kpl6h9o6zddw$.aagn9gtfb7nt.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=alt.windows7.general#2968

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 12:24:04 +0700
 by: JJ - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 05:24 UTC

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 09:33:16 -0700, Jordee wrote:

> I am trying to copy files from one folder to another.
>
> It will not let me overwrite or even copy to a new empty folders.
>
> Says I need permission.
>
> Strangely it is only one of three files. All .exe.
> The other two do copy over.
>
> File is ffmpeg.exe that will not copy.
>
> I was able only to extract the files from the .7z in the download
> folder. I will not extract in the target folder.
> ..
>
> I tried "Take Ownership" and that did nothing although it said it was
> successful.
>
> WHO is doing this to me ?
>
> How do I kill that creep ?

It's not clear what this target folder is, where it's actually located, and
who or what created it in the first place.

Use Explorer to copy the already extracted files to the target folder, so
that it can prompt for elevated copy process if needed.

Most third party softwares (especially non file managers) won't prompt for
elevated file copy process. For these softwares, run them as elevated first.

Re: Win 7 Pro - I Am The Admin !

<slrot6$5ii$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2971&group=alt.windows7.general#2971

From: Jordee@Jordee.com (Jordee)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 09:27:21 -0700
 by: Jordee - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 16:27 UTC

Ah ha ! I think you solved it.
My upper level folder was messing with me.
I took ownership of that and I was then happy.

Thanks for the insights !