From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Managed by Organization
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:54:21 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:54 UTC

When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
disable an organization from managing Firefox?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: Managed by Organization

<661853F2.1080903@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2963&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2963

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Managed by Organization
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 23:19:46 +0200
 by: Frank Miller - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:19 UTC

David E. Ross wrote:
> When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
> is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
> been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
> disable an organization from managing Firefox?

https://mozilla.github.io/policy-templates/

Re: Managed by Organization

<b00c75ad-0532-f54d-f6ad-137d17c172df@invalid.nospam>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2964

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:18:57 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:18 UTC

On 4/11/2024 4:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
> is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
> been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
> disable an organization from managing Firefox?

Did you put a policies.json file in a distribution folder
in the program folder? I block updates annd various other
things that way and it causes that message. There may
also be a Registry setting that will cause it. Though I still
have access to about:config. There are only some blank
settings in the Options window.

Re: Managed by Organization

<q8x4pjm5l4if.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2965&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2965

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:24:14 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 01:24 UTC

"David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
> is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
> been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
> disable an organization from managing Firefox?

Firefox is multi-platform. You don't mention your OS. For Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\

are where policies are stored in the Windows registry. Even if there
are no subkeys or data items under those keys, just the mere presence of
these keys will trigger the "is being managed" message in Firefox.

Some tweaking article, and tweaker tools, will set policies on Firefox.
The moment they do this, Firefox becomes "managed". For example, some
articles or tweakers have you create the above keys to add a data item
named DisableAppUpdate (set to 1) to permanently disable Firefox's
update. Some users use the policies.json file, as mentioned by
Newyana1, to add:

{
"policies": {
"DisableAppUpdate": true
}
}

That's a policy hence Firefox becomes "managed".

SOLVED Re: Managed by Organization

<uva77f$24pdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2966&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2966

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: SOLVED Re: Managed by Organization
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:45:01 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 02:45 UTC

On 4/11/2024 6:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>> When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
>> is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
>> been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
>> disable an organization from managing Firefox?
>
> Firefox is multi-platform. You don't mention your OS. For Windows:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\
>
> are where policies are stored in the Windows registry. Even if there
> are no subkeys or data items under those keys, just the mere presence of
> these keys will trigger the "is being managed" message in Firefox.
>
> Some tweaking article, and tweaker tools, will set policies on Firefox.
> The moment they do this, Firefox becomes "managed". For example, some
> articles or tweakers have you create the above keys to add a data item
> named DisableAppUpdate (set to 1) to permanently disable Firefox's
> update. Some users use the policies.json file, as mentioned by
> Newyana1, to add:
>
> {
> "policies": {
> "DisableAppUpdate": true
> }
> }
>
> That's a policy hence Firefox becomes "managed".

Thank you. After exporting it, I deleted the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox
which sutomatically deleted the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox
With the export, I can restore it if I find deleting it caused a problem.

Each of those two keys is a mirror of the other. When searching the
registry, I see many such mirrors, which annoyingly multiplies the the
need to repeat searching.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: SOLVED Re: Managed by Organization

<1prqk1uub5uas.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2967

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: SOLVED Re: Managed by Organization
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 00:20:37 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 05:20 UTC

"David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> On 4/11/2024 6:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to view pref.js settings, I am blocked. I see "Your browser
>>> is being managed by your organization." I have NO organization. I have
>>> been retired for 20 years, and I am using Firefox at home. How do I
>>> disable an organization from managing Firefox?
>>
>> Firefox is multi-platform. You don't mention your OS. For Windows:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox\
>>
>> are where policies are stored in the Windows registry. Even if there
>> are no subkeys or data items under those keys, just the mere presence of
>> these keys will trigger the "is being managed" message in Firefox.
>>
>> Some tweaking article, and tweaker tools, will set policies on Firefox.
>> The moment they do this, Firefox becomes "managed". For example, some
>> articles or tweakers have you create the above keys to add a data item
>> named DisableAppUpdate (set to 1) to permanently disable Firefox's
>> update. Some users use the policies.json file, as mentioned by
>> Newyana1, to add:
>>
>> {
>> "policies": {
>> "DisableAppUpdate": true
>> }
>> }
>>
>> That's a policy hence Firefox becomes "managed".
>>

> Thank you. After exporting it, I deleted the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox
> which sutomatically deleted the key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox
> With the export, I can restore it if I find deleting it caused a problem.
>
> Each of those two keys is a mirror of the other. When searching the
> registry, I see many such mirrors, which annoyingly multiplies the the
> need to repeat searching.

Well, not exactly a mirror. HKCU applies only to the currently logged
in Windows account. HKLM applies across all Windows accounts.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: SOLVED Re: Managed by Organization