The church saves sinners, but science seeks to stop their manufacture. -- Elbert Hubbard

computers / comp.misc / Re: is Google on the decline?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: is Google on the decline?candycane
`* Re: is Google on the decline?Matthew Ernisse
 `* Re: is Google on the decline?The Real Bev
  +- Re: is Google on the decline?scott
  +- Re: is Google on the decline?Dan Purgert
  `* Re: is Google on the decline?rdh
   +- Re: is Google on the decline?Computer Nerd Kev
   `- Re: is Google on the decline?The Real Bev

1
Re: is Google on the decline?

<3575679816@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2919&group=comp.misc#2919

From: candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: is Google on the decline?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 19:53:56 +1300
 by: candycane - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 06:53 UTC

rd> amused when people say kids are searching on TikTok instead of Google.
rd> Sure, Google results have been garbage for decades, but if I'm ever
rd> searching for something specific on TikTok, I find videos about videos
rd> about the topic, rather than videos about the topic.

Wait, people are using TikTok as a search engine??

---------------

.... Walking destinations are further then they appear.
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Re: is Google on the decline?

<slrnufjhfc.2ek.matt@imladris.colo.ub3rgeek.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2923&group=comp.misc#2923

From: matt@going-flying.com (Matthew Ernisse)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:45:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Matthew Ernisse - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:45 UTC

On Wed, 06 Sep 2023 19:53:56 +1300, candycane wrote:
> Wait, people are using TikTok as a search engine??

People have been using Facebook and Twitter and Youtube as search
engines for decades and you are surprised? If it has a "search"
field, people will do what it says on the tin.

--
"The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
--Kosh

Re: is Google on the decline?

<udctgi$323v2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2925&group=comp.misc#2925

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:24:48 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:24 UTC

On 9/7/23 5:45 AM, Matthew Ernisse wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2023 19:53:56 +1300, candycane wrote:
>> Wait, people are using TikTok as a search engine??
>
> People have been using Facebook and Twitter and Youtube as search
> engines for decades and you are surprised? If it has a "search"
> field, people will do what it says on the tin.

We're all doomed.

Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
best search engine and deserved its popularity. Now it throws up a lot
of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
but is there anything actually better?

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather not have neighbors. If I can see them, they're too close.

Re: is Google on the decline?

<afnKM.340814$ens9.22382@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2926&group=comp.misc#2926

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.ip.linodeusercontent.com>
From: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 16:54:30 GMT
 by: scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:54 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
> best search engine and deserved its popularity. Now it throws up a lot
> of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
> but is there anything actually better?

I've been using Qwant lately...AFAICT, it usually gets me the results I
want.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: is Google on the decline?

<slrnufkfqo.f45.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2927&group=comp.misc#2927

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:22:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:22 UTC

On 2023-09-07, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 9/7/23 5:45 AM, Matthew Ernisse wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Sep 2023 19:53:56 +1300, candycane wrote:
>>> Wait, people are using TikTok as a search engine??
>>
>> People have been using Facebook and Twitter and Youtube as search
>> engines for decades and you are surprised? If it has a "search"
>> field, people will do what it says on the tin.
>
> We're all doomed.

Yep.

> Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
> best search engine and deserved its popularity. Now it throws up a lot
> of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
> but is there anything actually better?

Altavista. ;)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: is Google on the decline?

<CBrKM.698877$xMqa.465824@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2928&group=comp.misc#2928

Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:51:30 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:51 UTC

On 9/7/23 11:24, The Real Bev wrote:
> Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
> best search engine and deserved its popularity.  Now it throws up a lot
> of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
> but is there anything actually better?

Depending on what you're looking for, DuckDuckGo might offer better
results, but barely. Search is kind of dead, thanks to all of the
blogspam out there gaming the system.

--
~rdh

Re: is Google on the decline?

<64fa4da0@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2929&group=comp.misc#2929

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 8 Sep 2023 08:24:32 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 22:24 UTC

rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote:
> On 9/7/23 11:24, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
>> best search engine and deserved its popularity. Now it throws up a lot
>> of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
>> but is there anything actually better?
>
> Depending on what you're looking for, DuckDuckGo might offer better
> results, but barely.

Of course DDG really get their results from Bing (they even admit
it now), so it's still built on one of the evil tech empires
(Microsoft).

DDG offer a great "Lite" mode though, and URL parameters allow
customisations like disabling advertising, so functionality-wise
they still win out for me. I toyed with switching to SearX, but it
doesn't have a similar lightweight interface, and the instances pop
up and down like yo-yos.

> Search is kind of dead, thanks to all of the
> blogspam out there gaming the system.

I often use "site:" to search within specific big websites that are
likely to have the content that I want, in combination with direct
searches on those websites if they have the ability (and it doesn't
rely on Javascript).

But I can't remember exactly how well search engines worked in the
past to know whether they've got better or worse. The range of
content that's available on the live (as opposed to archived) web
might have got weaker in some areas though.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: is Google on the decline?

<udgnp4$3tm65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=comp.misc#2950

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 20:11:32 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:11 UTC

On 9/7/23 2:51 PM, rdh wrote:
> On 9/7/23 11:24, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Google may have a lot to answer for, but it was originally the absolute
>> best search engine and deserved its popularity.  Now it throws up a lot
>> of trash before you find anything even close to what you're looking for,
>> but is there anything actually better?
>
> Depending on what you're looking for, DuckDuckGo might offer better
> results, but barely. Search is kind of dead, thanks to all of the
> blogspam out there gaming the system.

That's why we still have brains. Some of us, anyway.

--
Cheers, Bev
"When your enemies are making mistakes, don't interrupt them."