From: Tekkie@comcast.net (Tekkie?)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Emails sent to myself are marked spam & cannot be moved from spam
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:47:32 -0500
 by: Tekkie? - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:47 UTC

I send emails to myself using the Comcast web interface from say
joeblow@Comcast.net to joeblow@Comcast.net. When received these emails are
immediately sent to the spam folder - every time. When I mark them Not Spam
they disappear go to the inbox and then return to the spam folder instantly.
No amount of "training" will prevent this.

This also applies to any email sent from the Social Security Administration. I
have repeatly marked them as Not Spam but it continues. This is from a
legitimate SSA address.

When I call I get the same responses everytime. The correct box is checked in
advanced settings. Then they want me to delete my filter rules - which I have
done at least three times with no joy. It is not pleasent recreating the rules.
I have disabled the rules; as per their instructions four times with the same
result of no solution.

If I use Thunderbird to move the affected emails to the inbox Comcast
immediately moves them back to spam.

I have had an outstanding ticket on this since October of 2021. Can someone
here or from Comcast help me? Every call is the same road...

Thank you

--
Joeblow

Re: Emails sent to myself are marked spam & cannot be moved from spam

<1te5bhwqm8a35$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=294&group=alt.online-service.comcast#294

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 22:54:00 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 04:54 UTC

Tekkie wrote:

> I send emails to myself using the Comcast web interface from say
> joeblow@Comcast.net to joeblow@Comcast.net. When received these
> emails are immediately sent to the spam folder - every time. When I
> mark them Not Spam they disappear go to the inbox and then return to
> the spam folder instantly. No amount of "training" will prevent this.
>

> This also applies to any email sent from the Social Security
> Administration. I have repeatly marked them as Not Spam but it
> continues. This is from a legitimate SSA address.
>
> When I call I get the same responses everytime. The correct box is
> checked in advanced settings. Then they want me to delete my filter
> rules - which I have done at least three times with no joy. It is not
> pleasent recreating the rules. I have disabled the rules; as per
> their instructions four times with the same result of no solution.
>
> If I use Thunderbird to move the affected emails to the inbox Comcast
> immediately moves them back to spam.
>
> I have had an outstanding ticket on this since October of 2021. Can
> someone here or from Comcast help me? Every call is the same road...

To clarify, when you send e-mails from yourself to yourself using your
Comcast account, are you *only* using Comcast's webclient, or is Tbird
involved in doing the "receiving"? The idea is to limit the scope of
unwanted filtering to only Comcast, and not involve Tbird in any way.

Marking "not spam" is just a voting scheme trying to undo whatever rules
Comcast is using. Likely one person voting "not spam" (ham) won't help
until Comcast stops tilting the weighting to spam. Alas, Comcast's
webclient has no Safe Senders list (other than a whitelist that ONLY
allows receiving e-mails from known senders). Tbird does, but first you
need to focus on just using the COmcast webclient using it to both send
and receive. With Comcast, you cannot pre-weight known senders to keep
them along with allowing reception from other senders who will be
subject to server-side filtering. In Settings -> Mail -> Advanced
Settings, is the "Use email safe list" option disabled? That means
*ONLY* e-mails from those senders will be accepted, and all other
senders will be rejected (junked). With that option enabled, only those
senders in the whitelist will be left in your Inbox, and all other
senders will get junked. With the option enabled, you'd have to even
add yourself to the safe list, and also the SSA sender. Comcast's Safe
List is a block-everyone-not-whitelisted function. It does not work the
same as a Safe Sender whitelist in client-side e-mail clients.

When disabling rules, are you talking about those you defined online in
your Comcast account (i.e., server-side rules), or those in Tbird (i.e.,
client-side rules)? Again, just use the Comcast webclient, and disable
all your server-side rules. Don't leave any server-side rules enabled
no matter how much you think they are irrelevant. Disable all the
server-side filters, and retest using only the Comcast webclient to send
and also to receive.

Have you tried disabling the server-side spam filter (Settings -> Mail
-> Advanced Settings -> Spam Filtering), and retested sending to
yourself using *only* the Comcast webclient (and also receiving *only*
with the Comcast webclient)?

Are you adding attachments, like signatures, to the outbound e-mails?
Again, without involving Tbird at all, go to your online account,
Settings -> Mail -> Signatures, and check if you are adding signature
block(s). From what I can tell using the COmcast webclient, you can
only insert hyperlinks and image attachments to sigblocks. For now,
delete all server-side sigblocks. They shouldn't be used when sending
using Tbird with Comcast's SMTP server, but, for now, you're just
testing using the Comcast webclient, and want to be sure that client
isn't adding signatures.

Re: Emails sent to myself are marked spam & cannot be moved from spam

<d3aRJ.40408$ZmJ7.30176@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=295&group=alt.online-service.comcast#295

From: Tekkie@comcast.net (Tekkie?)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 13:36:58 -0500
 by: Tekkie? - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 18:36 UTC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 22:54:00 -0600, VanguardLH posted for all of us to
digest...

> [...]
> and also to receive.
>
> Have you tried disabling the server-side spam filter (Settings -> Mail
> -> Advanced Settings -> Spam Filtering), and retested sending to
> yourself using *only* the Comcast webclient (and also receiving *only*
> with the Comcast webclient)?
>
> Are you adding attachments, like signatures, to the outbound e-mails?
> Again, without involving Tbird at all, go to your online account,
> Settings -> Mail -> Signatures, and check if you are adding signature
> block(s). From what I can tell using the COmcast webclient, you can
> only insert hyperlinks and image attachments to sigblocks. For now,
> delete all server-side sigblocks. They shouldn't be used when sending
> using Tbird with Comcast's SMTP server, but, for now, you're just
> testing using the Comcast webclient, and want to be sure that client

Are you a mind reader? I got a call from Comcast last night and got a number to
call back today (Tues). Well basically the rep had me forward the source file
to him and his response was the same as yours. Turn off all the Tbird rules &
junk filters and it will work. Comcast asked for a new p/w so after that
everything works! I then went into Tbird without changing my p/w and turn off
all the rules & spam filters. I haven't signed in yet because I want to enjoy
the proper operation...

I also got a good phone number and email for future use. 8-)

Thanks for the quick reply, I DO appreciate it.

--
Tekkie