From: forgetski@postit.INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Subject: gftp launch fail
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 00:36:01 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 00:36 UTC

-----------------------------
gftp
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 86 in config file: enable_ipv6
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 238 in config file: resolve_symlinks
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 257 in config file: http_proxy_host
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 260 in config file: http_proxy_port
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 263 in config file: http_proxy_username
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 266 in config file: http_proxy_password
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 269 in config file: use_http11
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
-----------------------------
The above comes if using a common .gftp folder
(including gftprc) with other installed distros,
a method I'm adopting to serve my multi-OS box.

If I rename that common .gftp folder (which works just
fine with my six other distros) thus forcing regeneration
then none of the above instructions are in the new file
.......but I still can't launch:

-----------------------------
gftp
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
-----------------------------

I'd like to get gftp to work first using it's
own Ubuntu-Studio .gftp folder before tinkering
with a common one.

NB. Filezilla loads OK but gftp is my favorite

--
Saturdays are UbuntuStudio days
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish),Kernel=5.15.0-43-lowlatency

Re: gftp launch fail

<-86cnbr76fVEQKX-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2912&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2912

From: forgetski@postit.INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Subject: Re: gftp launch fail
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 00:39:53 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 00:39 UTC

On Sun, 02 Oct 2022 00:36:01 +0000, bad sector wrote:

> -----------------------------
> gftp

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 86 in config file: enable_ipv6

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 238 in config file: resolve_symlinks

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 257 in config file: http_proxy_host

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 260 in config file: http_proxy_port

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 263 in config file: http_proxy_username

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 266 in config file: http_proxy_password

> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 269 in config file: use_http11

> Illegal instruction (core dumped)

> -----------------------------

sorry, the above were all new lines when I sent
them, now trying with double new lines

Re: gftp launch fail

<20221002140847.695@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2914&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2914

From: andrew@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 2 Oct 2022 03:22:07 GMT
 by: andrew - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 03:22 UTC

On 2022-10-02, bad sector <forgetski@postit.INVALID.gov> wrote:

> I'd like to get gftp to work first using it's
> own Ubuntu-Studio .gftp folder before tinkering
> with a common one.

I am wondering if you are running the latest release of gftp? There is a
2.9.1b 'release; dated from February 15th 2022 that I am running without
incident.

Mind you when starting from a terminal I get a few warnings with the
default settings which do not affect the running of gftp:

---
andrew@ilium~/.gftp$ gftp
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 87 in config file: enable_ipv6
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 226 in config file: ftp_list_a
gFTP Warning: Skipping line 254 in config file: pretransfer_command
andrew@ilium~/.gftp$
---

A quick look at the config file seems to indicate that on my system at
least these could be pruned out...

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Re: gftp launch fail

<saGdnWlRaL4emqT-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2915&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2915

From: forgetski@postit.INVALID.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 03:37:39 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 03:37 UTC

On 2 Oct 2022 03:22:07 GMT, andrew wrote:

> On 2022-10-02, bad sector <forgetski@postit.INVALID.gov> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to get gftp to work first using it's
>> own Ubuntu-Studio .gftp folder before tinkering
>> with a common one.
>
> I am wondering if you are running the latest release of gftp? There is a
> 2.9.1b 'release; dated from February 15th 2022 that I am running without
> incident.

that's what I have too

Re: gftp launch fail

<thba4b$1kntt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2920&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2920

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 02:12:27 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 06:12 UTC

On 10/1/2022 8:36 PM, bad sector wrote:
> -----------------------------
> gftp
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 86 in config file: enable_ipv6
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 238 in config file: resolve_symlinks
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 257 in config file: http_proxy_host
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 260 in config file: http_proxy_port
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 263 in config file: http_proxy_username
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 266 in config file: http_proxy_password
> gFTP Warning: Skipping line 269 in config file: use_http11
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
> -----------------------------
> The above comes if using a common .gftp folder
> (including gftprc) with other installed distros,
> a method I'm adopting to serve my multi-OS box.
>
> If I rename that common .gftp folder (which works just
> fine with my six other distros) thus forcing regeneration
> then none of the above instructions are in the new file
> ......but I still can't launch:
>

> -----------------------------
> gftp
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
> -----------------------------
>

> I'd like to get gftp to work first using it's
> own Ubuntu-Studio .gftp folder before tinkering
> with a common one.
>

> NB. Filezilla loads OK but gftp is my favorite
>

> --
> Saturdays are UbuntuStudio days
> Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish),Kernel=5.15.0-43-lowlatency
> on x86_64,DM=sddm,DE=KDE,ST=x11,grub2,GPT,BIOS-boot
> https://i.imgur.com/QKljk7F.png

U2204

First problem, is sudo apt install gftp does the wrong thing.
It installs gftp-common and not all four packages.

You would start by visiting synaptic and tending to that part.
I expect you already have sorted that part, as what mine (gftp-common)
was reporting was

Error: Can't find gFTP binaries

After all four packages are installed, typing

gftp

brings up "gFTP 2.9.1b" GUI window, with a two-pane view, local
file system on the left, remote file system on the right.

Typing

gftp-text

brings up ftp> prompt and I just type "quit" into that. No crash.

There is a .gftp directory in my home.

bookmarks 3091 bytes
gftp.log 36 bytes
gftprc 8703 bytes 293 lines, "ascii text"

Try "file gftprc" and see if it is "ascii text" or not.

The package was written in 1998, or started at that point,
it does not use vala, it is written in C. It has mention of
UTF-8 in it, which means someone other than the original
author of the code likely added that.

Does it support UTF-8 in the gftprc file ? Dunno.

Use a hex editor and examine your gftprc file carefully
for 8 bit items that don't belong. The reason I suggest that,
is given the age of the application, parts of it likely started
as ASCII-only. And it might be intolerant of some edits
done by some clever text editor on one of your other OSes.

Make sure there is a newline at the end of the file, in
case it is intolerant.

The UTF-8 support is likely on the remote-facing or local
file system front, when handling file names there. In my
travels, I've seen absolutely dogs-breakfast filenaming,
with every punctuation and special character under the
sun in it. The only thing missing was a smiley emoji
for the joke they were playing. It might have been
Hungarian. You do need good character handling, for
the real world.

Whereas the RC file may not have received any UTF-8 support.
It depends on whether it was localized or not, so other
languages in the RC could be supported.

But at least it did not crash in a way suggesting
a "bad build". The build seems OK here.

Paul

Re: gftp launch fail

<9xCdnYutDLTA6P3-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3027

From: forgetski@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 01:24:45 +0000
 by: bad sector - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 01:24 UTC

On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 02:12:27 -0400, Paul wrote:

> [...]
> text editor on one of your other OSes.
>
> Make sure there is a newline at the end of the file, in case it is
> intolerant.
>
> The UTF-8 support is likely on the remote-facing or local file system
> front, when handling file names there. In my travels, I've seen
> absolutely dogs-breakfast filenaming,
> with every punctuation and special character under the sun in it. The
> only thing missing was a smiley emoji for the joke they were playing. It
> might have been Hungarian. You do need good character handling, for the
> real world.
>
> Whereas the RC file may not have received any UTF-8 support.
> It depends on whether it was localized or not, so other languages in the
> RC could be supported.
>
> But at least it did not crash in a way suggesting a "bad build". The

Thanks for your time! I missed this reply and Mondays
are my "Artix" days but I diverted back to my Ubuntu-Studio
to look into it.

Some of the above is over my head but I'm pretty sure that
I have never seen any other gftp package installed beside
gftp and gftp-common and that's on all my distros.

I have the same gFTP 2.9.1b" and what has changed since then,
for reasons I cannot imagine, is that using its own dedicated
..gftp real folder gftp now launches OK both by clicking the gui
icons or by entering gftp or gftp-text. It also launches OK
is I revert that folder to a link pointing to the common .gftp
folder that all other distros use without a problem. This IS
what I want, it's something that Sylpheed does just brilliantly
without ever a problem, now gftp does it too :-)

So the prob seems to be fixed, I have used this distro
several times in the last almost two weeks, surely including
some updates that might have been factors.