From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Look out - there's a new option in xscreensaver
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 13:35:37 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 10:35 UTC

Running Ub. 20.04 experienced some problems with xscreensaver (missing module)
to simplify, reinstalled xscreensaver, and selected the BSOD screensavers, left the options as they came
Some hours later came back to my screen to find waht was at first glance a very colourful, fairly realistic-looking
ransomware warning.
... spent some seconds panicking...

Be warned, among the options you can select in the xscreensaver BSOD is "Ransomeware" (seleted in the default installation)
Hope this saves another old codger from an incipient panic atack

Mike

--
No Micro$oft products were used in the URLs above, or in preparing this message.
Recommended reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

Re: Look out - there's a new option in xscreensaver

<20221002141734.198@skamandros.andrews-corner.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2913&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2913

From: andrew@skamandros.invalid (andrew)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Look out - there's a new option in xscreensaver
Date: 2 Oct 2022 03:22:07 GMT
 by: andrew - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 03:22 UTC

On 2022-10-01, Henry Crun <mike@rechtman.com> wrote:

> Be warned, among the options you can select in the xscreensaver BSOD
> is "Ransomeware" (seleted in the default installation) Hope this saves
> another old codger from an incipient panic atack

I could not see that option in x-screensaver 6.05, however I did see a
newish looking Covid-19 screensaver which features an animation of the
virus itself, spinning across the screen. How modern :)

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?

Re: Look out - there's a new option in xscreensaver

<jpsfliFsevfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2916&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2916

From: mike@rechtman.com (Henry Crun)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 06:42:42 +0300
 by: Henry Crun - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 03:42 UTC

On 02/10/2022 6:22, andrew wrote:
> On 2022-10-01, Henry Crun <mike@rechtman.com> wrote:
>
>> Be warned, among the options you can select in the xscreensaver BSOD
>> is "Ransomeware" (seleted in the default installation) Hope this saves
>> another old codger from an incipient panic atack
>
> I could not see that option in x-screensaver 6.05, however I did see a
> newish looking Covid-19 screensaver which features an animation of the
> virus itself, spinning across the screen. How modern :)
>
> Andrew

current xscreensaver appears in synaptic as 5.42
and:
<quote>
$ xscreensaver -h
xscreensaver 5.42, copyright (c) 1991-2018 by Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>