Portability should be the default. -- Larry Wall in <199711072201.OAA01123@wall.org>

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

SubjectAuthor
* The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
+- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
+* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
|`* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
| `- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
`* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorBrian Gregory
 `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
  `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
   `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
    `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
     +* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorJ. P. Gilliver (John)
     |`* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
     | +* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorTim Slattery
     | |+* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorKen Blake
     | ||`- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorPaul
     | |`- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
     | `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorFrank Slootweg
     |  `- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH
     `* Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorRene Lamontagne
      +- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorKen Blake
      `- Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behaviorVanguardLH

1
The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<ish6q0Fgt9lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2760&group=alt.windows7.general#2760

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:12:15 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:12 UTC

I just witnessed the weirdest mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and size
changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
still raining, when I looked back at the screen the cursor was
wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at a
different angle.

It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own, it
took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path angle,
I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw anything
like this before.
The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard Power
Off.

I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.

PS. ...... (No I Don't Drink)

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<ish7geFgvg6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2761&group=alt.windows7.general#2761

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:24:15 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:24 UTC

On 2021-10-10 5:12 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I just witnessed the weirdest  mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and  size
> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
> still raining,  when I looked back at the screen  the cursor was
> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at a
> different angle.
>
> It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
> in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own, it
> took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path angle,
> I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw anything
> like this before.
> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard Power
> Off.
>
> I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.
>
> PS. ......  (No I Don't Drink)
>
> Rene

\

Ooops, Wrong group, shoub be 11

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<nq5c8ro8m3de$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2762&group=alt.windows7.general#2762

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:26:11 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:26 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I just witnessed the weirdest mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and size
> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
> still raining, when I looked back at the screen the cursor was
> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at a
> different angle.
>
> It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
> in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own, it
> took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path angle,
> I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw anything
> like this before.
> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard Power
> Off.
>
> I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.
>
> PS. ...... (No I Don't Drink)
>
> Rene

That means, even while still, the mouse thinks it is moving. This could
be due to the surface on which the mouse is laying, like it has stray
fibers that are flexing when the mouse is a top. Try a different mouse
pad or surface.

More likely, you have some lint or hair stuck in the mouse the flexes in
front of the mouse's sensor. Turn over the mouse, wait for its light to
go off (if on), and use a flashlight to closely inspect the detector
area. Use a tweezers to remove the lint, hair, or other debris. You
could try a duster can, but often the hair or lint is jammed into the
casing, and won't just blow away. Even if the hair is not moving, the
sensor might be trying to see around it, so the mouse thinks it is
moving a tiny bit.

However, debris in front of the mouse's sensor does not explain why the
keyboard locked up. Did you load some input enhancing software? Look
at what you have for startup programs. Remove any that are keyboard
macros, mouse ancilliary software, or anything else related to input
control, and restart Windows.

However, if this is a rare occasion, disabling candidate startup
programs won't know to fix the problem until far more time has elapsed
than how often the problem appears. Also, if this is a sudden change,
have you, or have you allowed Windows, to make updates to the hardware,
like installing new drivers or ancilliary software for the hardware?
"All of sudden" is often attributed to automatic updates.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<ishb8hFhmvsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2764&group=alt.windows7.general#2764

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:28:18 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 23:28 UTC

On 2021-10-10 5:26 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> I just witnessed the weirdest mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
>> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and size
>> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
>> still raining, when I looked back at the screen the cursor was
>> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
>> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
>> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at a
>> different angle.
>>
>> It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
>> in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own, it
>> took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path angle,
>> I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw anything
>> like this before.
>> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
>> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
>> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard Power
>> Off.
>>
>> I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.
>>
>> PS. ...... (No I Don't Drink)
>>
>> Rene
>
> That means, even while still, the mouse thinks it is moving. This could
> be due to the surface on which the mouse is laying, like it has stray
> fibers that are flexing when the mouse is a top. Try a different mouse
> pad or surface.

Not that, but a good thought, Both mouse and keyboard were totally
unresponsive.

> More likely, you have some lint or hair stuck in the mouse the flexes in
> front of the mouse's sensor. Turn over the mouse, wait for its light to
> go off (if on), and use a flashlight to closely inspect the detector
> area. Use a tweezers to remove the lint, hair, or other debris. You
> could try a duster can, but often the hair or lint is jammed into the
> casing, and won't just blow away. Even if the hair is not moving, the
> sensor might be trying to see around it, so the mouse thinks it is
> moving a tiny bit.
>
> However, debris in front of the mouse's sensor does not explain why the
> keyboard locked up. Did you load some input enhancing software? Look
> at what you have for startup programs. Remove any that are keyboard
> macros, mouse ancilliary software, or anything else related to input
> control, and restart Windows.

All startup programs are disabled except Malwarbytes. The only new
program I have installed 4 days ago is Startallback, This has only
happened this one time, so unless it happens again I have no means of
troubleshooting it, No no macros or other fancy stuff,

Windows 11, 21H2 build 22000.194

> However, if this is a rare occasion, disabling candidate startup
> programs won't know to fix the problem until far more time has elapsed
> than how often the problem appears. Also, if this is a sudden change,
> have you, or have you allowed Windows, to make updates to the hardware,
> like installing new drivers or ancilliary software for the hardware?
> "All of sudden" is often attributed to automatic updates.

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<weldhltdc8vq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2808&group=alt.windows7.general#2808

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 23:56:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 04:56 UTC

> [...]

>> at what you have for startup programs. Remove any that are keyboard
>> macros, mouse ancilliary software, or anything else related to input
>> control, and restart Windows.
>
> All startup programs are disabled except Malwarbytes. The only new
> program I have installed 4 days ago is Startallback, This has only
> happened this one time, so unless it happens again I have no means of
> troubleshooting it, No no macros or other fancy stuff,
>
> Windows 11, 21H2 build 22000.194
>

>> However, if this is a rare occasion, disabling candidate startup
>> programs won't know to fix the problem until far more time has elapsed
>> than how often the problem appears. Also, if this is a sudden change,
>> have you, or have you allowed Windows, to make updates to the hardware,
>> like installing new drivers or ancilliary software for the hardware?
>> "All of sudden" is often attributed to automatic updates.

Check if you are using the embedded mouse driver included in Windows, or
the hardware maker's driver and perhaps with their ancilliary software.
I remember seeing the wandering mouse cursor, configured the mouse under
Device Manager to use the Windows driver, and it stopped wandering.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<it51uiFb001U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2809&group=alt.windows7.general#2809

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:52:01 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 10:52 UTC

On 10/10/2021 23:12, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> I just witnessed the weirdest  mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and  size
> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
> still raining,  when I looked back at the screen  the cursor was
> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at a
> different angle.
>
> It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
> in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own, it
> took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path angle,
> I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw anything
> like this before.
> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard Power
> Off.
>
> I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.
>
> PS. ......  (No I Don't Drink)
>
> Rene

Wireless mouse & keyboard by any chance?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<it5db2Fd4lmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2811&group=alt.windows7.general#2811

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:06:26 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:06 UTC

On 2021-10-18 5:52 a.m., Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 10/10/2021 23:12, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> I just witnessed the weirdest  mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
>> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and  size
>> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
>> still raining,  when I looked back at the screen  the cursor was
>> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
>> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
>> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at
>> a different angle.
>>
>> It acted exactly like one of those *RoomB*a vacuum cleaners, sometimes
>> in mid path it wood randomly head in a new direction all on it's own,
>> it took 3 to 5 seconds to traverse the screen, depending on its path
>> angle, I watched this in fascination for about 5 minutes, never saw
>> anything like this before.
>> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
>> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
>> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard
>> Power Off.
>>
>> I wish I could reproduce this but Haven't a clue how.
>>
>> PS. ......  (No I Don't Drink)
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Wireless mouse & keyboard by any chance?

Wired Redragon K555 keyboard.
Wireless Logitech M510 mouse.

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<fuzst1c403u0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2812&group=alt.windows7.general#2812

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:48:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:48 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Brian Gregory wrote:
>
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>>> I just witnessed the weirdest  mouse cursor behavior ever, I was in
>>> Thunderbird doing some changes to an add on "theme font and  size
>>> changer' and I turned my head to look at the window to see if it was
>>> still raining,  when I looked back at the screen  the cursor was
>>> wandering slowly over the screen one side to the other or up and down
>>> then it would touch a screen boundary and veer off in a different
>>> direction at an angle then hit another screen boundary and veer off at
>>> a different angle.
>>>
>>> The mouse had no control whatsoever and the keyboard was totally
>>> unresponsive, Even the Windows key would not do anything,
>>> Control-Alt-Delete did nothing, The only way to stop it was a Hard
>>> Power Off.
>>
>> Wireless mouse & keyboard by any chance?
>
> Wired Redragon K555 keyboard.
> Wireless Logitech M510 mouse.

I suspect Brian might follow with asking if you have replaced the
batteries in the mouse. Cordless mice get flaky with a low battery.
Also, if you have a top or front USB port, use that for the mouse's USB
dongle. Wifi doesn't do well penetrating through metal computer cases.
If no top or front USB ports, you can use a shorty USB cable to bring
the USB dongle out from behind the case. Use a double-stick velcro
squared to affix the dongle to the side of the case.

However, that the wired keyboard got locked out precludes problems with
batteries or wifi for the mouse. That both wired keyboard and wireless
mouse got locked hints to some software you installed that is
interferring with the HIDs (Human Interface Devices). Might want to
check in Device Manager what drivers are used for them.

Logitech's wireless mice come with ancilliary software that allows more
tweaks, and defining actions for the extra buttons. The M510 probably
comes with, or you download, their Logitech Options software (has had
other names in the past, like SetPoint). See:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options

Drop-down the device list to see which features the M510 supports with
this software:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297893

It might even use their unifying software to combine multiple wireless
Logitech devices with a single USB wifi dongle despite you only have one
wireless Logitech device (your keyboard is wired).

This is a laser mouse. That makes it far more sensitive. I don't like
them, because I have to raise them higher above the pad when I lift and
move the mouse, and it's impossible to lift a mouse straight up (Z axis)
for it not to notice X-Y movement. You can hover the mouse several
inches above the pad, and the mouse cursor on the screen will still move
when you move the elevated laser mouse around. Not only do they detect
movement when farther from the surface, they more detect small
imperfections in the surface. Shiny surfaces (glass, thick polyurethane
on wood desks, painted metal, etc) also confuse the optical mice. You
didn't mention the surface on which you use the mouse. I've seen folks
using their pants when traveling with their laptop while using a mouse,
but jeans aren't made for consistent pattern at the fine level of detail
detectable by mice.

While it might seem counterintuitive, some mice don't do well with black
or very dark pads. Too much of the light gets absorbed. I use dark
pads, even black, but I use Logitech B100/M100 mice, and those don't
have a problem with dark surfaces. Some mice do. If the problem crops
up again, try a sheet of non-glossy white paper.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<it6170Fh2duU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2813&group=alt.windows7.general#2813

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:45:36 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:45 UTC

On 2021-10-18 12:48 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Brian Gregory wrote:

>>> Wireless mouse & keyboard by any chance?
>>
>> Wired Redragon K555 keyboard.
>> Wireless Logitech M510 mouse.
>
> I suspect Brian might follow with asking if you have replaced the
> batteries in the mouse. Cordless mice get flaky with a low battery.
> Also, if you have a top or front USB port, use that for the mouse's USB
> dongle. Wifi doesn't do well penetrating through metal computer cases.
> If no top or front USB ports, you can use a shorty USB cable to bring
> the USB dongle out from behind the case. Use a double-stick velcro
> squared to affix the dongle to the side of the case.
>
> However, that the wired keyboard got locked out precludes problems with
> batteries or wifi for the mouse. That both wired keyboard and wireless
> mouse got locked hints to some software you installed that is
> interferring with the HIDs (Human Interface Devices). Might want to
> check in Device Manager what drivers are used for them.
>
> Logitech's wireless mice come with ancilliary software that allows more
> tweaks, and defining actions for the extra buttons. The M510 probably
> comes with, or you download, their Logitech Options software (has had
> other names in the past, like SetPoint). See:
>
> https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/options
>
> Drop-down the device list to see which features the M510 supports with
> this software:
>
> https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297893
>
> It might even use their unifying software to combine multiple wireless
> Logitech devices with a single USB wifi dongle despite you only have one
> wireless Logitech device (your keyboard is wired).
>
> This is a laser mouse. That makes it far more sensitive. I don't like
> them, because I have to raise them higher above the pad when I lift and
> move the mouse, and it's impossible to lift a mouse straight up (Z axis)
> for it not to notice X-Y movement. You can hover the mouse several
> inches above the pad, and the mouse cursor on the screen will still move
> when you move the elevated laser mouse around. Not only do they detect
> movement when farther from the surface, they more detect small
> imperfections in the surface. Shiny surfaces (glass, thick polyurethane
> on wood desks, painted metal, etc) also confuse the optical mice. You
> didn't mention the surface on which you use the mouse. I've seen folks
> using their pants when traveling with their laptop while using a mouse,
> but jeans aren't made for consistent pattern at the fine level of detail
> detectable by mice.
>
> While it might seem counterintuitive, some mice don't do well with black
> or very dark pads. Too much of the light gets absorbed. I use dark
> pads, even black, but I use Logitech B100/M100 mice, and those don't
> have a problem with dark surfaces. Some mice do. If the problem crops
> up again, try a sheet of non-glossy white paper.

Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<1uppwtt5218z2$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2814&group=alt.windows7.general#2814

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:42:19 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 03:42 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
> Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.

You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a Windows
11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10 newsgroup (it
handles both 10 and 11).

I'm assuming you meant StartAllBack (not Starallback missing a "t") at:

https://www.startallback.com/

If you're going to alter the GUI and behaviors of Windows 11, expect
more than a few defects in behavior caused by tweakers. I suspect a lot
of the tweaks are registry edits. Registry hacks that worked in an
older Windows version may not behave in a new version. There are
registry settings that continue to migrate into later versions of
Windows that are not applicable in later versions. For example, users
of ClassicShell (later replaced by OpenShell) ran into lots of
inconsistencies or bugs with those tweakers.

If you bought this tweaker ($4.99), you should contact their support to
report the defect. The only contact I could find at their web site for
support is a Gmail address. Their support page also points at a couple
forums for discussing their software.

Their product is released for Windows 10, not Windows 11. They have an
RC (Release Candidate) version, but that means you accept the risks of
running betaware: you volunteer to beta test. They don't yet have an
official release for use on Windows 11.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<eglnvfrVYtbhFw2R@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2821&group=alt.windows7.general#2821

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 15:28:37 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 14:28 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 22:42:19, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
>> Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.
>
>You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a Windows
>11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10 newsgroup (it
>handles both 10 and 11).

There is now an 11 'group, carried by most servers. The users of the 10
group are at present fairly tolerant, but I imagine the "take this to
the right 'group" posts will increase soon.

>I'm assuming you meant StartAllBack (not Starallback missing a "t") at:
>
>https://www.startallback.com/
>
>If you're going to alter the GUI and behaviors of Windows 11, expect
>more than a few defects in behavior caused by tweakers. I suspect a lot

I'm reminded of the reaction I got way back in 98SE days, when almost
_any_ question I asked was dismissed (only by some) when they heard I
was using "lite": basically they said "we're not going to answer _any_
question you ask because you're using 'lite', na na na na na".

>of the tweaks are registry edits. Registry hacks that worked in an
>older Windows version may not behave in a new version. There are
>registry settings that continue to migrate into later versions of
>Windows that are not applicable in later versions. For example, users
>of ClassicShell (later replaced by OpenShell) ran into lots of
>inconsistencies or bugs with those tweakers.
>
>If you bought this tweaker ($4.99), you should contact their support to
>report the defect.
[]
>Their product is released for Windows 10, not Windows 11. They have an
>RC (Release Candidate) version, but that means you accept the risks of
>running betaware: you volunteer to beta test. They don't yet have an
>official release for use on Windows 11.

I do agree that 11 (and 10) queries probably aren't best posted here -
apart from irritating some here, they're also less likely to get as
quick an answer.

(Though in this case, as a cause of the problem has apparently been
found, the question is moot.)

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<it8907Fu181U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2831&group=alt.windows7.general#2831

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 11:10:48 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:10 UTC

On 2021-10-18 10:42 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
>> Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.
>
> You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a Windows
> 11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10 newsgroup (it
> handles both 10 and 11).

Meant to post in Windows 11, Shit happens.

> I'm assuming you meant StartAllBack (not Starallback missing a "t") at:

Yes.

> https://www.startallback.com/
>
> If you're going to alter the GUI and behaviors of Windows 11, expect
> more than a few defects in behavior caused by tweakers. I suspect a lot
> of the tweaks are registry edits. Registry hacks that worked in an
> older Windows version may not behave in a new version. There are
> registry settings that continue to migrate into later versions of
> Windows that are not applicable in later versions. For example, users
> of ClassicShell (later replaced by OpenShell) ran into lots of
> inconsistencies or bugs with those tweakers.
>
> If you bought this tweaker ($4.99), you should contact their support to
> report the defect. The only contact I could find at their web site for
> support is a Gmail address. Their support page also points at a couple
> forums for discussing their software.
>
> Their product is released for Windows 10, not Windows 11. They have an
> RC (Release Candidate) version, but that means you accept the risks of
> running betaware: you volunteer to beta test. They don't yet have an
> official release for use on Windows 11.

I normally never use this type of start and taskbar tweaker but some
Windows 11
changes were intolerable so I had to revert to some 3rd party help.

Rene

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<it8kokF1pk5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2839&group=alt.windows7.general#2839

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:31:31 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 19:31 UTC

On 10/19/2021 9:10 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-10-18 10:42 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
>>> Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.
>>
>> You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a Windows
>> 11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10 newsgroup (it
>> handles both 10 and 11).
>
> Meant to post in Windows 11, Shit happens.

Yes. Usually every day if you're in good health.

--
Ken

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<zvedtgu3yr83.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2849&group=alt.windows7.general#2849

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:44:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:44 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Somehow I lost the results. but it is solved, interaction between
>>> Windows 11 and some settings in 'Starallback'.
>>
>> You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a
>> Windows 11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10
>> newsgroup (it handles both 10 and 11).
>
> There is now an 11 'group, carried by most servers. The users of the 10
> group are at present fairly tolerant, but I imagine the "take this to
> the right 'group" posts will increase soon.

Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name of
the Windows 11 newsgroup?

How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
September).

>> I'm assuming you meant StartAllBack (not Starallback missing a "t")
>> at:
>>
>> https://www.startallback.com/
>>
>> If you're going to alter the GUI and behaviors of Windows 11, expect
>> more than a few defects in behavior caused by tweakers. I suspect a
>> lot
>
> I'm reminded of the reaction I got way back in 98SE days, when almost
> _any_ question I asked was dismissed (only by some) when they heard I
> was using "lite": basically they said "we're not going to answer
> _any_ question you ask because you're using 'lite', na na na na na".

Did I, or Brian, not respond to your inquiry? Yes, that was before you
eventually decided to disclose your use of StartAllBack. If you had,
probably the first responses would've been to disable it as a startup
program, and retest. I don't use that tweaker, so I have no idea if it
dynamically loads/unloads, so you could completely disable it without
having to reboot Windows or restart your Windows session. Disabling it,
if possible, without a reboot might point at that product since you said
a reboot fixed the problem. If StartAllBack cannot be enabled/disabled
on the fly, and requires a reboot, the reboot probably kicked that
product in its ass to fix some haywire setting. Also possible is that
any changes in StartAllBack requires a reboot to effect; else, the
program is left in a limbo state with changes to the disk copy of the
registry that are different than the memory copy of the registry (the
registry gets loaded into memory on Windows startup, and the memory copy
is what gets accessed via registry API calls).

So, how do you know that the problem source was StartAllBack?

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<1l20hawl33bvc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2850&group=alt.windows7.general#2850

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:47:46 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:47 UTC

Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I normally never use this type of start and taskbar tweaker but some
> Windows 11 changes were intolerable so I had to revert to some 3rd
> party help.

Probably better if users shun Windows 11, like they did with Windows 8.
It's the only type of pressure that Microsoft will recognize from end
users (corporate users buy support tickets, and can voice their
complaints).

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<3980ngtb0od6ud60e3mtvucc0in503q1mh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2857&group=alt.windows7.general#2857

From: tim@risingdove.com (Tim Slattery)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:03:14 -0400
 by: Tim Slattery - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:03 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name of
>the Windows 11 newsgroup?

alt.comp.os.windows-11

>How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
>which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
>Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
>September).

It's on Eternal September, that's where I get it from.

--
Tim Slattery
tim <at> risingdove <dot> com

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<itam8eFdksrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2859&group=alt.windows7.general#2859

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 07:09:18 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:09 UTC

On 10/20/2021 7:03 AM, Tim Slattery wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>

>>Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name of
>>the Windows 11 newsgroup?
>
> alt.comp.os.windows-11
>
>>How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
>>which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
>>Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
>>September).
>
> It's on Eternal September, that's where I get it from.

It's also on News.individual.net. Vanguard, you need to refresh your
newsgroup list.

--
Ken

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<skp90b$ci1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2860&group=alt.windows7.general#2860

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:26:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:26 UTC

On 10/20/2021 10:09 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 10/20/2021 7:03 AM, Tim Slattery wrote:
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>

>>> Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum?  What is the full name of
>>> the Windows 11 newsgroup?
>>
>> alt.comp.os.windows-11
>>
>>> How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
>>> which Usenet provider?  Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
>>> Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
>>> September).
>>
>> It's on Eternal September, that's where I get it from.
>

> It's also on News.individual.net. Vanguard, you need to refresh your newsgroup list.

It's also on AIOE.

Paul

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<skpg3n.cfs.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2861&group=alt.windows7.general#2861

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 20 Oct 2021 14:29:02 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:29 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> > VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
[...]
> >> You posted in the Windows 7 newsgroup. The problem occured on a
> >> Windows 11 host? If so, you should've posted in the Windows 10
> >> newsgroup (it handles both 10 and 11).
> >
> > There is now an 11 'group, carried by most servers. The users of the 10
> > group are at present fairly tolerant, but I imagine the "take this to
> > the right 'group" posts will increase soon.
>
> Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name of
> the Windows 11 newsgroup?
>
> How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
> which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
> Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
> September).

The Windows 11 newsgroup is 'alt.comp.os.windows-11'. You even
crossposted to it! :-) News.Individual.Net *does* carry it, since
(nearly) a month. So you just have to tell Dialog to refresh its
newsgroups list.

[...]

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<3s2fjb6cp91t$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2874&group=alt.windows7.general#2874

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:35:22 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:35 UTC

Tim Slattery <tim@risingdove.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name
>> of the Windows 11 newsgroup?
>
> alt.comp.os.windows-11
>
>> How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
>> which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup
>> across Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and
>> Eternal September).
>
> It's on Eternal September, that's where I get it from.

Thanks for the info. Apparently my client doesn't re-poll the servers
to get new newsgroups, so I had to do it manually. Then I saw the
Windows-11 newsgroups (on both ES and individual).

Glad 11 has its own newsgroup. I won't be moving to 11 for maybe
another 4+ years when support ends for 10, but I didn't move to 10 from
7 until several years after support for 7 ended. I might end up waiting
until 12 comes out, skipping 11 as did many did for 8.

Re: The strangest Mouse pointer behavior

<1mgxel1h9hoqy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2875&group=alt.windows7.general#2875

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:41:09 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:41 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>> "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> There is now an 11 'group, carried by most servers. The users of the 10
>>> group are at present fairly tolerant, but I imagine the "take this to
>>> the right 'group" posts will increase soon.
>>
>> Windows 11 newsgroup, or some web-based forum? What is the full name of
>> the Windows 11 newsgroup?
>>
>> How long ago was the Windows 11 newsgroup created, and starting with
>> which Usenet provider? Takes time to propagate a new newsgroup across
>> Usenet, and I don't see it on my servers (individual.net and Eternal
>> September).
>
> The Windows 11 newsgroup is 'alt.comp.os.windows-11'. You even
> crossposted to it! :-) News.Individual.Net *does* carry it, since
> (nearly) a month. So you just have to tell Dialog to refresh its
> newsgroups list.
>
> [...]

Not in this thread. However, I recall that I replied to someone, and my
client notified me that a newsgroup didn't exist. In the past, I've
found that some servers carry newsgroups that don't propagate: it's on
their server, but not mine (nor anyone else's). I leave the cross-post
intact in case their server has the unknown newsgroup, so they can see
it in whichever they inhabit.

Now that I refreshed my client's newsgroups list to find the Windows-11
newsgroup, yep, I see Robin did a cross-post between 10 and 11 in his
"Is there any useful new Win11 functionality that isn't already in
win10" article. That's probably the one I recall leaving the cross-post
intact despite not seeing it in my client's newsgroup list.