Be careful when a loop exits to the same place from side and bottom.

computers / news.software.nntp / Leafnode/Newslink question

SubjectAuthor
* Leafnode/Newslink questionKyonshi
+* Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionNigel Reed
|`* Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionkyonshi
| `* Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionkyonshi
|  +- Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionSn!pe
|  `- Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionNigel Reed
`- Re: Leafnode/Newslink questionfloffy@gallaxial.com

1
Leafnode/Newslink question

<k0si8k-cqg.ln1@moria.erebor.sync.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2873&group=news.software.nntp#2873

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Leafnode/Newslink question
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:02:46 +0100
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

Here is a stupid question I came up with when planning my current system:
I was planning to run a Synchronet BBS with Newslink (NNTP server) for
some specialized groups, and to connect to other NNTP servers via a
local Leafnode server I have already running on a different machine.
I am not planning to have too many users, but I might have a few that
might try the BBS for the novelty of it.
Specifically I think that messages from other users on the BBS might get
injected via the user account I have on the connected NNTP servers.
Would that be a possible issue?

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<20240129042126.197f44ac@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2874&group=news.software.nntp#2874

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Leafnode/Newslink question
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 04:21:26 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:21 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:02:46 +0100
Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a stupid question I came up with when planning my current
> system: I was planning to run a Synchronet BBS with Newslink (NNTP
> server) for some specialized groups, and to connect to other NNTP
> servers via a local Leafnode server I have already running on a
> different machine. I am not planning to have too many users, but I
> might have a few that might try the BBS for the novelty of it.
> Specifically I think that messages from other users on the BBS might
> get injected via the user account I have on the connected NNTP
> servers. Would that be a possible issue?

One thing I have said for a while is that if you're using newslink with
Synchronet, then anything that is posted to usenet will be done so
under your account and/or your IP address since you have to login with
your username and password to fetch the articles or connect to the news
server. This is why I never have and never will use newslink.

I have my own news server and I've made some scripts so that users
authenticate against their BBS account. If there's any issues then it's
flagged to their account and I can deal with it.

Currently I don't have this open for general use because it's not
integrated with a BBS news reader, which is being worked on.

Darkrealms offers usenet over ftn that you might want to have a look at.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<uq5i3b$2mn4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2895&group=news.software.nntp#2895

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:58:35 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:58 UTC

On 1/29/2024 11:21 AM, Nigel Reed wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:02:46 +0100
> Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is a stupid question I came up with when planning my current
>> system: I was planning to run a Synchronet BBS with Newslink (NNTP
>> server) for some specialized groups, and to connect to other NNTP
>> servers via a local Leafnode server I have already running on a
>> different machine. I am not planning to have too many users, but I
>> might have a few that might try the BBS for the novelty of it.
>> Specifically I think that messages from other users on the BBS might
>> get injected via the user account I have on the connected NNTP
>> servers. Would that be a possible issue?
>
> One thing I have said for a while is that if you're using newslink with
> Synchronet, then anything that is posted to usenet will be done so
> under your account and/or your IP address since you have to login with
> your username and password to fetch the articles or connect to the news
> server. This is why I never have and never will use newslink.
>
> I have my own news server and I've made some scripts so that users
> authenticate against their BBS account. If there's any issues then it's
> flagged to their account and I can deal with it.
>
> Currently I don't have this open for general use because it's not
> integrated with a BBS news reader, which is being worked on.
>
> Darkrealms offers usenet over ftn that you might want to have a look at.

hmm, but if I post it with leafnode this would take care of it, wouldn't
it? after all leafnode works as it's own server that then connects with
other servers.

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<uq5i5m$2mn4u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2896&group=news.software.nntp#2896

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:59:51 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:59 UTC

On 2/9/2024 4:58 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 1/29/2024 11:21 AM, Nigel Reed wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:02:46 +0100
>> Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is a stupid question I came up with when planning my current
>>> system: I was planning to run a Synchronet BBS with Newslink (NNTP
>>> server) for some specialized groups, and to connect to other NNTP
>>> servers via a local Leafnode server I have already running on a
>>> different machine. I am not planning to have too many users, but I
>>> might have a few that might try the BBS for the novelty of it.
>>> Specifically I think that messages from other users on the BBS might
>>> get injected via the user account I have on the connected NNTP
>>> servers. Would that be a possible issue?
>>
>> One thing I have said for a while is that if you're using newslink with
>> Synchronet, then anything that is posted to usenet will be done so
>> under your account and/or your IP address since you have to login with
>> your username and password to fetch the articles or connect to the news
>> server. This is why I never have and never will use newslink.
>>
>> I have my own news server and I've made some scripts so that users
>> authenticate against their BBS account. If there's any issues then it's
>> flagged to their account and I can deal with it.
>>
>> Currently I don't have this open for general use because it's not
>> integrated with a BBS news reader, which is being worked on.
>>
>> Darkrealms offers usenet over ftn that you might want to have a look at.
>>

> hmm, but if I post it with leafnode this would take care of it, wouldn't
> it? after all leafnode works as it's own server that then connects with
> other servers.

I mean, I switched to working on an INN server instead, but for the
while I had the leafnode/newslink thing running it didn't seem to matter.

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<1qoo9mz.2fqbsx1rynm2uN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2897&group=news.software.nntp#2897

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:55:15 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/2024 4:58 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> > On 1/29/2024 11:21 AM, Nigel Reed wrote:

> >> One thing I have said for a while is that if you're using newslink with
> >> Synchronet, then anything that is posted to usenet will be done so
> >> under your account and/or your IP address since you have to login with
> >> your username and password to fetch the articles or connect to the news
> >> server. This is why I never have and never will use newslink.
> >>
> >> I have my own news server and I've made some scripts so that users
> >> authenticate against their BBS account. If there's any issues then it's
> >> flagged to their account and I can deal with it.
> >>
> >> Currently I don't have this open for general use because it's not
> >> integrated with a BBS news reader, which is being worked on.
> >>
> >> Darkrealms offers usenet over ftn that you might want to have a look at.
> >>

> > hmm, but if I post it with leafnode this would take care of it, wouldn't
> > it? after all leafnode works as it's own server that then connects with
> > other servers.
> >

> I mean, I switched to working on an INN server instead, but for the
> while I had the leafnode/newslink thing running it didn't seem to matter.

Leafnode is a client as far as the newsserver is concerned and it must
login/authenticate as any other client would. Everything posted using
that setup will appear as though it comes from one account - yours.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon says:
The first duty of government is defence of the realm.

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<20240210013252.38052c5b@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2898&group=news.software.nntp#2898

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 01:32:52 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:32 UTC

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 16:59:51 +0100
kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/2024 4:58 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> > On 1/29/2024 11:21 AM, Nigel Reed wrote:

> >> One thing I have said for a while is that if you're using newslink
> >> with Synchronet, then anything that is posted to usenet will be
> >> done so under your account and/or your IP address since you have
> >> to login with your username and password to fetch the articles or
> >> connect to the news server. This is why I never have and never
> >> will use newslink.
> >>
> >> I have my own news server and I've made some scripts so that users
> >> authenticate against their BBS account. If there's any issues then
> >> it's flagged to their account and I can deal with it.
> >>
> >> Currently I don't have this open for general use because it's not
> >> integrated with a BBS news reader, which is being worked on.
> >>
> >> Darkrealms offers usenet over ftn that you might want to have a
> >> look at.
> >
> > hmm, but if I post it with leafnode this would take care of it,
> > wouldn't it? after all leafnode works as it's own server that then
> > connects with other servers.
>
> I mean, I switched to working on an INN server instead, but for the
> while I had the leafnode/newslink thing running it didn't seem to
> matter.

As Snipe says, leafnode will have exactly the same problem as newslink,
which is that your BBS callers will most all their articles, including
spam, as you. This could get you in trouble with your provider.

I have been working on a solution that'll allow your users to
authenticate with my usenet server with their BBS credentials and
anything posted will be under their account. Nightfox is currently
working on a usenet client for Synchronet so you won't have to feed
selected groups into your BBS but it'll just act like any other news
client, it'll download x number of headers and thread them and only
download the body if called by the reader.

It will also allow people to use a regular nntp client to connect to
read news if they choose to do so. I'm working on populating a new
server right now, but it's taking a lot longer than I expected.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Leafnode/Newslink question

<laabvi9hmmqc6pkp1dhfhlvvacjv73dk0c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=news.software.nntp#3014

From: floffy@gallaxial.com (floffy@gallaxial.com)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:16:00 -0400
 by: floffy@gallaxial.com - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:16 UTC

You can use a old software call Dnews Work only on Winxp
or can use newsplex...

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:02:46 +0100, Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here is a stupid question I came up with when planning my current system:
>I was planning to run a Synchronet BBS with Newslink (NNTP server) for
>some specialized groups, and to connect to other NNTP servers via a
>local Leafnode server I have already running on a different machine.
>I am not planning to have too many users, but I might have a few that
>might try the BBS for the novelty of it.
>Specifically I think that messages from other users on the BBS might get
>injected via the user account I have on the connected NNTP servers.
>Would that be a possible issue?

-
telnet://gallaxial.com BBS
irc://gallaxial.com IRC With Service
http://gallaxial.com:33333 Old Fashon torrent Tracker
ftp://gallaxial.com FTP server fidonet files +++
http://gallaxial.com:88 Web-FTP
-