From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: could not symlink
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:29:59 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:29 UTC

Hi all,

Sorry for 1001 questions.

Using pullnews, I noticed this in my logs

tradspool: could not symlink
/news/spool/articles/alt/0/infinity/squared/3 to
/news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3: Not a directory
SERVER cant store article: Not a directory

and then it stopped processing.

How do I get around this?

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: could not symlink

<uouiq4$6iuc$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2862&group=news.software.nntp#2862

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: could not symlink
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:11:32 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:11 UTC

Hi Nigel,
> tradspool: could not symlink
> /news/spool/articles/alt/0/infinity/squared/3 to
> /news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3: Not a directory
> SERVER cant store article: Not a directory

Wouldn't it be because you have newsgroup names with components
containing only numbers? This does not work well with tradspool, as for
instance you cannot store articles for a newsgroup named
"alt.1.aardvark.3" if "alt.1.aardvark" is also a newsgroup, and has an
article numbered 3... You should either remove that file
(/news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3), clean your active file to
remove newsgroups with conflicting names or use another storage method
than tradspool if you need storing such articles.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le cercle est le plus long chemin d'un point au même point. » (Tom
Stoppard, _Every Good Boy Deserves Favour_)

Re: could not symlink

<20240125153021.24550963@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2863&group=news.software.nntp#2863

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:30:21 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:30 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:11:32 +0100
Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
> > tradspool: could not symlink
> > /news/spool/articles/alt/0/infinity/squared/3 to
> > /news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3: Not a directory
> > SERVER cant store article: Not a directory
>
> Wouldn't it be because you have newsgroup names with components
> containing only numbers? This does not work well with tradspool, as
> for instance you cannot store articles for a newsgroup named
> "alt.1.aardvark.3" if "alt.1.aardvark" is also a newsgroup, and has
> an article numbered 3... You should either remove that file
> (/news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3), clean your active file to
> remove newsgroups with conflicting names or use another storage
> method than tradspool if you need storing such articles.

Ah, I see the problem. It appears to be the unfortunate result of a
typo back in 2008

Newsgroups: talk.abortion,alt,abortion

That means that alt/1/aardvark couldn't be created.

I'm more inclined to just delete the articles from /news/spool/alt and
that should solve the problem. That said, alt is an actual group so
maybe the alt.1.aardvark has to go.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: could not symlink

<uouk6t$26bm1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2864&group=news.software.nntp#2864

From: usenet@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:35:25 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:35 UTC

On 25/01/2024 22:30, Nigel Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:11:32 +0100
> Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi Nigel,
>>> tradspool: could not symlink
>>> /news/spool/articles/alt/0/infinity/squared/3 to
>>> /news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3: Not a directory
>>> SERVER cant store article: Not a directory
>>
>> Wouldn't it be because you have newsgroup names with components
>> containing only numbers? This does not work well with tradspool, as
>> for instance you cannot store articles for a newsgroup named
>> "alt.1.aardvark.3" if "alt.1.aardvark" is also a newsgroup, and has
>> an article numbered 3... You should either remove that file
>> (/news/spool/articles/alt/1/aardvark/3), clean your active file to
>> remove newsgroups with conflicting names or use another storage
>> method than tradspool if you need storing such articles.
>>

> Ah, I see the problem. It appears to be the unfortunate result of a
> typo back in 2008
>
> Newsgroups: talk.abortion,alt,abortion
>
> That means that alt/1/aardvark couldn't be created.
>
> I'm more inclined to just delete the articles from /news/spool/alt and
> that should solve the problem. That said, alt is an actual group so
> maybe the alt.1.aardvark has to go.

I suggest you to switch to cnfs ASAP, I have same problem on my server
paganini, now I'm moving and create a new infrastructure, all my new 3
server use cnfs without this problem, I'm grabbing all history from
various source without big deal (300GB/day).

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: could not symlink

<20240125160547.690309f9@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2865&group=news.software.nntp#2865

From: sysop@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:05:47 -0600
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:05 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:35:25 +0100
Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:

> I suggest you to switch to cnfs ASAP, I have same problem on my
> server paganini, now I'm moving and create a new infrastructure, all
> my new 3 server use cnfs without this problem, I'm grabbing all
> history from various source without big deal (300GB/day).

I like tradspool since I have direct access to the articles. I did
tried cnfs and couldn't get a long with it. Might also have been
limited disk space I had at the time. I didn't want articles cycling
over. I've only found 4-5 issues so far so I'm not too bothered. I
think the only big issue will be if someone posts article 2600 in alt
then it'd crash wit the alt.2600 group!