The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

SubjectAuthor
* some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE
+* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowSjouke Burry
|+* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowDavid Catterall
||`* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE
|| `- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowDavid Catterall
|`- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE
+- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowBit Twister
+* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowPaul
|`* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE
| `- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowPaul
`* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE
 +* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowDanS
 |`- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowmechanic
 `* Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowPaul
  `- Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshowwAYNE

1
some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgfk5p$1sgfv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2864&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2864

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:12:09 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:12 UTC

Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow. Once every 3 min,
image changes. I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some
existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
showing black occasionally. Any ideas welcome. Perhaps there's a
Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<nnd$78dfdb11$4d8c8301@245c11dcd4f7f12e>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2866&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2866

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 23:06:26 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
 by: Sjouke Burry - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:06 UTC

On 21.09.22 20:12, wAYNE wrote:
> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow. Once every 3 min,
> image changes. I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some
> existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
> Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
> deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
> showing black occasionally. Any ideas welcome. Perhaps there's a
> Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?

I use the slide-show mode of Irfanview,no problems whatsoever.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgfv2h$1tjct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2867&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2867

From: djcatt@eircom.net (David Catterall)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 22:18:08 +0100
 by: David Catterall - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:18 UTC

On 21/09/2022 22:06, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> I use the slide-show mode of Irfanview,no problems whatsoever.

When using MATE, I adapt the script found in /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos .

D.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<slrntin2fv.2t1sa.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2868&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2868

From: BitTwister@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:02:39 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 22:02 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:12:09 -0400, wAYNE wrote:
> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow. Once every 3 min,
> image changes. I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some
> existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
> Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
> deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
> showing black occasionally. Any ideas welcome. Perhaps there's a
> Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?

I have no experience with Shotwell, but the time I saw the same problem
with my desktop slideshow and viewer was do to the actual file being
displayed.

I would verify my account had full read/execute access/same as files
which display correctly.

I was able to find the problem files with a gui file manager which had
thunbnails that would not display correctly.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgg3mf$1u2hj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2869&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2869

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 18:37:03 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 22:37 UTC

On 9/21/2022 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3 min, image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images. Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?

/home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db # sqlite database

Library: Missing Files # shows thumbnails sitting in the thumbnail directory
# for files that no longer exist. Hard to say what would
# happen if the thumbnails got deleted. Probably "anarchy".
# ~/.cache/shotwell contains thumbnails.
# The database is the controlling element, in any case.
# It is worshiped.

Select files with mouse # Tell the tool which vacant files to deal with
Orange selection rectangles

Right-click, "Remove from Library" # Should remove the vacant files from photo.db .
# Presumably removing their thumbnail as well.

*******

sqlite3 /home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db .dump > photo_database_text.txt

That will show you the current database contents, and likely,
what it plans to use for a slideshow. Just a guess.

The database has a number of "CREATE INDEX" calls near the end. And
somehow, that's how it tells one thumbnail from another. The thumbnail
identifiers don't seem to be stored in a table, that I can see. My understanding
of databases is very shaky.

There are fewer thumbnails than photos. I have no idea what that means.
There are more photos of the .png persuasion, than there are thumbnails.

The MD5SUM value in the table, is for the master photograph, not for a thumb.

This appears to be about as much fun as you would expect.

Paul

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tghp3i$25kta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2870&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2870

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:48:34 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:48 UTC

On 9/21/22 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3 min,
> image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some
> existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
> Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
> deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
> showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a
> Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?

What seemed to solve this was simply rebooting. I suspected it might
and tried it after the post. All images displaying well now. I don't
like the sudden transitions between them, but I can live with that.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tghpdm$25kta$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2871&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2871

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:53:58 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:53 UTC

On 9/21/22 5:06 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 21.09.22 20:12, wAYNE wrote:
>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3 min,
>> image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some
>> existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
>> Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
>> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
>> deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
>> showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a
>> Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?
>>
> I use the slide-show mode of Irfanview,no problems whatsoever.
The repository shows it, but unfortunately has to have WINE? I tried
one when I was running my prior Ubuntu version and didn't care for it.
Most of the programs I wanted wouldn't run. Also, doesn't it increase
security risks since, after all, you're opening the door to Win?

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tghpna$25kta$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2872&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2872

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 09:59:06 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:59 UTC

On 9/21/22 5:18 PM, David Catterall wrote:
> On 21/09/2022 22:06, Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> I use the slide-show mode of Irfanview,no problems whatsoever.
>
> When using MATE, I adapt the script found in
> /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos .
>
> D.

What is MATE, the Ubuntu repository shows six entries?

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<XnsAF1A7D900C7D9thisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.102.12>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2874&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2874

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:20:36 +0000
 by: DanS - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:20 UTC

wAYNE <wayne34@no_verizon.net> wrote in

> On 9/21/22 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.
>> Once every 3 min, image changes.  I noticed today,
>> however, that after I deleted some existing images from
>> the background folder and then reuploaded to Shotwell,
>> it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
>> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder,
>> background1, then deleting prior folder and all images
>> from Shotwell and it's still showing black occasionally.
>> Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a Shotwell config
>> cached that I need to delete?
>>

> What seemed to solve this was simply rebooting. I
> suspected it might and tried it after the post. All images
> displaying well now. I don't like the sudden transitions
> between them, but I can live with that.

.... the winduhs way of trying to fix something!

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgi699$28stn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2875&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2875

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 13:33:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:33 UTC

On 9/22/2022 9:48 AM, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/21/22 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3 min, image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images. Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?
>>

> What seemed to solve this was simply rebooting.  I suspected it might and tried it after the post.  All images displaying well now.  I don't like the sudden transitions between them, but I can live with that.

So you have no files showing in a "Missing Files" folder.

Paul

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<1xqu10dvrc6vb.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2876&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2876

From: mechanic@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:45:50 +0100
 by: mechanic - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:45 UTC

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:20:36 +0000, DanS wrote:

>> What seemed to solve this was simply rebooting. I
>> suspected it might and tried it after the post. All images
>> displaying well now. I don't like the sudden transitions
>> between them, but I can live with that.
>
> ... the winduhs way of trying to fix something!

Strangely effective in many cases.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgi85l$298rm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2877&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2877

From: wayne34@no_verizon.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 14:05:41 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:05 UTC

On 9/22/22 1:33 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/22/2022 9:48 AM, wAYNE wrote:
>> On 9/21/22 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3
>>> min, image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted
>>> some existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded
>>> to Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing
>>> images. Even tried copying existing images to a new folder,
>>> background1, then deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell
>>> and it's still showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.
>>> Perhaps there's a Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?
>>>

>> What seemed to solve this was simply rebooting.  I suspected it might
>> and tried it after the post.  All images displaying well now.  I don't
>> like the sudden transitions between them, but I can live with that.
>
> So you have no files showing in a "Missing Files" folder.
>
>    Paul

I'll check later when I'm home and back on the desktop.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgiah7$29g57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2879&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2879

From: djcatt@eircom.net (David Catterall)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:45:58 +0100
 by: David Catterall - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:45 UTC

On 22/09/2022 14:59, wAYNE wrote:
> What is MATE, the Ubuntu repository shows six entries?

MATE is one of the Desktop Environments available for Ubuntu. Other
possible `skins' for Ubuntu include LXQt and Xfce.

I do not use these others but I do use MATE, but actually on a Mint system.

With kind regards,
David in Co Longford

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgj17l$2bb21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2880&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2880

From: none@nowhere.net (wAYNE)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 21:13:25 -0400
 by: wAYNE - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 01:13 UTC

On 9/21/22 6:37 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/21/2022 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3
>> min, image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted
>> some existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to
>> Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images.
>> Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then
>> deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still
>> showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a
>> Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?
>>

> /home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db    # sqlite database
>
> Library: Missing Files           # shows thumbnails sitting in the
> thumbnail directory
>                                  # for files that no longer exist. Hard
> to say what would
>                                  # happen if the thumbnails got
> deleted. Probably "anarchy".
>                                  # ~/.cache/shotwell   contains
> thumbnails.
>                                  # The database is the controlling
> element, in any case.
>                                  # It is worshiped.
>
> Select files with mouse          # Tell the tool which vacant files to
> deal with
> Orange selection rectangles
>
> Right-click, "Remove from Library"   # Should remove the vacant files
> from photo.db .
>                                      # Presumably removing their
> thumbnail as well.
>
> *******
>
> sqlite3 /home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db .dump >
> photo_database_text.txt
>
> That will show you the current database contents, and likely,
> what it plans to use for a slideshow. Just a guess.
>
> The database has a number of "CREATE INDEX" calls near the end. And
> somehow, that's how it tells one thumbnail from another. The thumbnail
> identifiers don't seem to be stored in a table, that I can see. My
> understanding
> of databases is very shaky.
>
> There are fewer thumbnails than photos. I have no idea what that means.
> There are more photos of the .png persuasion, than there are thumbnails.
>
> The MD5SUM value in the table, is for the master photograph, not for a
> thumb.
>
> This appears to be about as much fun as you would expect.
>
>    Paul

Was going to try this process, but what opens this type of file? I
downloaded and installed "db browser for sqlite" but it wouldn't open it.

Re: some images black in Shotwell desktop slideshow

<tgjlfd$2floe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2882&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2882

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:58:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 06:58 UTC

On 9/22/2022 9:13 PM, wAYNE wrote:
> On 9/21/22 6:37 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/21/2022 2:12 PM, wAYNE wrote:
>>> Been using Shotwell as control for desktop slideshow.  Once every 3 min, image changes.  I noticed today, however, that after I deleted some existing images from the background folder and then reuploaded to Shotwell, it's like it's still trying to display the missing images. Even tried copying existing images to a new folder, background1, then deleting prior folder and all images from Shotwell and it's still showing black occasionally.  Any ideas welcome.  Perhaps there's a Shotwell config cached that I need to delete?
>>>

>> /home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db    # sqlite database
>>
>> Library: Missing Files           # shows thumbnails sitting in the thumbnail directory
>>                                   # for files that no longer exist. Hard to say what would
>>                                   # happen if the thumbnails got deleted. Probably "anarchy".
>>                                   # ~/.cache/shotwell   contains thumbnails.
>>                                   # The database is the controlling element, in any case.
>>                                   # It is worshiped.
>>
>> Select files with mouse          # Tell the tool which vacant files to deal with
>> Orange selection rectangles
>>
>> Right-click, "Remove from Library"   # Should remove the vacant files from photo.db .
>>                                       # Presumably removing their thumbnail as well.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> sqlite3 /home/wayne/.local/share/shotwell/data/photo.db .dump > photo_database_text.txt
>>
>> That will show you the current database contents, and likely,
>> what it plans to use for a slideshow. Just a guess.
>>
>> The database has a number of "CREATE INDEX" calls near the end. And
>> somehow, that's how it tells one thumbnail from another. The thumbnail
>> identifiers don't seem to be stored in a table, that I can see. My understanding
>> of databases is very shaky.
>>
>> There are fewer thumbnails than photos. I have no idea what that means.
>> There are more photos of the .png persuasion, than there are thumbnails.
>>
>> The MD5SUM value in the table, is for the master photograph, not for a thumb.
>>
>> This appears to be about as much fun as you would expect.
>>
>>     Paul
>>

> Was going to try this process, but what opens this type of file?  I downloaded and installed "db browser for sqlite" but it wouldn't open it.

Try:

sqlite3 photo.db .dump

and a bunch of text should be dumped into the Terminal.

You can also try

file photo.db

and determine if it is a Berkeley db, a JetBlue, a sqlite, a maria or whatever.

For forensics, I start with the "file" command. Surprisingly, the
"file" command is unable to keep up with modern invention, and
some stuff you would expect to be there, is missing. Still, your
file browsing thingy relies on "file" command, to determine what to do with
a file. The /etc/magic file contains the gubbins that make "file" work.

Only Level 39 Wizards know how to add entries to /etc/magic, and
if those Wizards die... The trick is, the entries in /etc/magic
cannot collide with one another, or bad things happen. There
can be hundreds of detections in there. People who "create"
new file types, are well advised to not be creating file formats
which accidentally match the magic of an existing file type.
I do not know who provides an idiot alerting service, to
stop mischief like that. At one time, there used to be USENET
conversations on the crafting of new /etc/magic entries,
by those Wizards. But I have not seen such a discussion in
a donkeys age.