"Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in the morning." -- Marlo Thomas

computers / comp.mail.pine / curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

SubjectAuthor
* curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interfaced...@brannerchinese.com
+- Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interfaceAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbookEduardo Chappa
 `* Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interfaced...@brannerchinese.com
  `- Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbookEduardo Chappa

1
curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

<a46ad4c9-6ad4-4b56-a3d3-380b4a4fd56dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=284&group=comp.mail.pine#284

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:23:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface
From: dpb@brannerchinese.com (d...@brannerchinese.com)
 by: d...@brannerchinese. - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 03:23 UTC

Some email senders have their name in quotes, and when I add them to the addressbook the result looks incorrectly processed. For instance, a message from

"TEXT HERE " <login@domain.com>

ends up in the addressbook interface as:

Nickname :
Fullname : ", "TEXT HERE
Fcc :
Comment :
Addresses : "\"TEXT HERE \"" <login@domain.com>

Both the Fullname and Addresses fields appear to be mishandling the quotation marks. Is this a known issue? Is there a current fix for it?

Thanks.

- dpb

Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

<sq3jfn$q89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=285&group=comp.mail.pine#285

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 04:48:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 04:48 UTC

d...@brannerchinese.com <dpb@brannerchinese.com> wrote:

>Some email senders have their name in quotes, and when I add them to the
>addressbook the result looks incorrectly processed. For instance, a
>message from

>"TEXT HERE " <login@domain.com>

>ends up in the addressbook interface as:

>Nickname :
>Fullname : ", "TEXT HERE
>Fcc :
>Comment :
>Addresses : "\"TEXT HERE \"" <login@domain.com>

>Both the Fullname and Addresses fields appear to be mishandling the
>quotation marks. Is this a known issue? Is there a current fix for it?

Some editing is required when storing that entry.

My name is quoted because of the ".". If it weren't there, it wouldn't
be quoted. Nevertheless, there is no reason to store an addressbook
entry with quotes as the alpine composer would add them as needed.

Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

<7a2e1fcb-232e-d4b2-a43a-bb1f0bf99a72@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=286&group=comp.mail.pine#286

From: chappa@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook
interface
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:58:56 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:58 UTC

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021, d...@brannerchinese.com wrote:

> Some email senders have their name in quotes, and when I add them to the
> addressbook the result looks incorrectly processed. For instance, a
> message from
>
> "TEXT HERE " <login@domain.com>
>
> ends up in the addressbook interface as:
>
> Nickname :
> Fullname : ", "TEXT HERE
> Fcc :
> Comment :
> Addresses : "\"TEXT HERE \"" <login@domain.com>
>
> Both the Fullname and Addresses fields appear to be mishandling the
> quotation marks. Is this a known issue? Is there a current fix for it?

Dear dpb,

if you do not mind, could you send me a real life example? I have tried
to reproduce the issue you point out, exactly with the data you provided
but my Alpine handles it correctly. I tried adding a perido as Adam
suggested and also a non 8-bit character.

Would you mind sending me real data that shows the problem? Thank you.

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

<bab8232c-49b3-4910-886b-ff532abffc6cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=287&group=comp.mail.pine#287

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 10:47:25 -0800 (PST)
From: dpb@brannerchinese.com (d...@brannerchinese.com)
 by: d...@brannerchinese. - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 18:47 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 11:58:59 PM UTC+8, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> if you do not mind, could you send me a real life example?

Two examples sent off-list.

Re: curious handling of quotation marks in the addressbook interface

<a69683b1-8332-6a62-fc30-cd184f45f492@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=288&group=comp.mail.pine#288

From: chappa@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
interface
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 18:39:10 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:39 UTC

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021, d...@brannerchinese.com wrote:

> On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 11:58:59 PM UTC+8, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
>
>> if you do not mind, could you send me a real life example?
>
> Two examples sent off-list.

Thank you dpb, I have analyzed your messages and the problem is that the
"personal name" part is quoted and encoded. When alpine decodes it, it is
the first time it finds the quotes, but it keeps them as part of the name,
so when you take the address to the addressbook they reverse and have the
weird look.

I am solving this problem by removing the quotes before they are offered
to you for saving in the addressbook.

A commit of the solution of this issue will be released soon.

Thank you!