A modem is a baudy house.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

SubjectAuthor
* why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?HenHanna
+* Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?VanguardLH
|`* Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?HenHanna
| +- Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?VanguardLH
| `- Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?Andy Burns
`- Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?Andy Burns

1
why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<uq64br$2pi79$13@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2810&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2810

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 13:10:17 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:10 UTC

With other groups, i can [Subscribe to a Thread], from GG
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts

why won't GG do this for Comp.Fonts?

After the flag-day (Feb22), will GG let me [Subscribe to a Thread] ?

Will i even want to do that???

Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<14v91bt1arlbi$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2811&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2811

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:42:04 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:42 UTC

HenHanna <HenHanna@gmail.com> wrote:

> With other groups, i can [Subscribe to a Thread], from GG
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts
>
> why won't GG do this for Comp.Fonts?

Subscribing is a web forum feature. Were you logged into GG when you
wanted to click the Subscribe checkbox? I did login to my Google
account, the Subscribe checkbox was there, and I could select it (but
then deselected since I have no interest in that thread). When I logged
out, the Subscribe checkbox disappeared. You need a Google account, and
you need to login, to use a GG account feature.

Guess you didn't like the answer you got from yourself to yourself
(https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts/c/rG7jO2XeyrM), but identified
yourself as Carlos in the invalid sig.

> After the flag-day (Feb22), will GG let me [Subscribe to a Thread] ?
> Will i even want to do that???

Did you read their notice banner? It says:

Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new
Usenet content. *Posting and subscribing will be disallowed*, and new
content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of
historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

Their banner answers your inquiry (bolding added for highlight).

Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<l2nrqcFcmriU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2813&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2813

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 23:46:18 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 23:46 UTC

HenHanna wrote:
> With other groups, i can [Subscribe to a Thread], from GG
>                           https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts
>
> why won't GG do this for Comp.Fonts?
I suspect GG only lets you subscribe to threads after you're signed in.
> After the flag-day (Feb22), will GG let me [Subscribe to a Thread] ?
I suspect it still might, but then you'd only see replies from other
people still using GG (not many?)
>    Will i even want to do that???
Many folks can't wait for the 22nd, when GG and usenet will be parted,
hope you stick with e-s as I suspect it'll get a lot lonelier on the GG
side of the fence ...

Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<uq6qqh$311bm$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2817&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2817

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:33:36 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 03:33 UTC

On 2/9/2024 1:42 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> HenHanna <HenHanna@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With other groups, i can [Subscribe to a Thread], from GG
>> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts
>>
>> why won't GG do this for Comp.Fonts?
>
> Subscribing is a web forum feature. Were you logged into GG when you
> wanted to click the Subscribe checkbox? I did login to my Google
> account, the Subscribe checkbox was there, and I could select it (but
> then deselected since I have no interest in that thread). When I logged
> out, the Subscribe checkbox disappeared. You need a Google account, and
> you need to login, to use a GG account feature.

yes, i'm signed into my GG account.

i see the [Subscribe] checkbox in the other NG's, but not in Comp.Fonts

Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<17m5txwpfw0bp.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2820

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 22:01:49 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 04:01 UTC

HenHanna <HenHanna@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> HenHanna <HenHanna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With other groups, i can [Subscribe to a Thread], from GG
>>> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts
>>>
>>> why won't GG do this for Comp.Fonts?
>>
>> Subscribing is a web forum feature. Were you logged into GG when you
>> wanted to click the Subscribe checkbox? I did login to my Google
>> account, the Subscribe checkbox was there, and I could select it (but
>> then deselected since I have no interest in that thread). When I logged
>> out, the Subscribe checkbox disappeared. You need a Google account, and
>> you need to login, to use a GG account feature.
>
> yes, i'm signed into my GG account.
> i see the [Subscribe] checkbox in the other NG's, but not in Comp.Fonts

The Subscribe checkbox is not a per-group option. It is a per-thread
option. Which thread were you looking at? One of these perhaps:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts/c/rG7jO2XeyrM
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.fonts/c/yISqE28ddXA

Re: why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?

<l2ol56Fgv1sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2828&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2828

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 06:58:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 06:58 UTC

HenHanna wrote:
> yes, i'm signed into  my GG account.
> i see the [Subscribe] checkbox in the other NG's,  but  not in Comp.Fonts
from GG, I have joined the comp.fonts group and I can't see how to
subscribe to a thread, but then even on other groups I can't see how I
would do that, describe what you think you should be able to do, what
groups have you already managed to do it in?
(you have to understand that most usenet users don't really care about
whatever concepts GG has of joining or subscribing)

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / why can't i Subscribe to a Thread (from GG) in Comp.Fonts?