A sine curve goes off to infinity, or at least the end of the blackboard. -- Prof. Steiner

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

SubjectAuthor
* [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?HenHanna
+* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Frank Miller
|+* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?VanguardLH
||+* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Frank Miller
|||+* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Jörg Lorenz
|||`- Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?VanguardLH
||`* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Dave Royal
|| `* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?VanguardLH
||  `* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Dave Royal
||   `- Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Carlos E.R.
|`* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Nobody
| `- Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Frank Miller
+* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Carlos E.R.
|`- Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Grant Taylor
`* Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?Ed Cryer
 `- Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?HenHanna

1
[Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upugmo$12nn0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2768&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2768

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email
notification)?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:51:51 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:51 UTC

[Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]

once i've subscribed to a thread, a new followup to the thread is sent
by email to me.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<65C2CBA4.8070107@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2769&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2769

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:15:32 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:15 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

TB can receive any mail you get.

> one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]

What's GG?

> once i've subscribed to a thread, a new followup to the thread is sent
> by email to me.

So what's your question? You get a notification sent by email and receive
it with your (preferred) email program.
Your subscription is made on the platform or server where you submit your
email address for that. You can receive it with any mail program.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<q7wjuuha67ja.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2770&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2770

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:27:26 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:27 UTC

Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:

> HenHanna wrote:
>>
>> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>
> TB can receive any mail you get.
>
>> one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]
>
> What's GG?
>
>> once i've subscribed to a thread, a new followup to the thread is sent
>> by email to me.
>
> So what's your question? You get a notification sent by email and receive
> it with your (preferred) email program.
> Your subscription is made on the platform or server where you submit your
> email address for that. You can receive it with any mail program.

He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails. He/She wants
e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
(started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
participated. It is very similar to other web-based forums where you
get e-mailed notices when there is a new article in a thread where you
participated. Usenet is not web forums, so the web forum features
aren't in Usenet.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<7e3b9kxjoj.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2771&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2771

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 02:36:39 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:36 UTC

On 2024-02-07 00:51, HenHanna wrote:

> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>

> one GG feature i'll miss will be...   [Subscribe to Thread]
>
> once i've subscribed to a thread,  a new followup to the thread is sent
> by email to me.

Short answer: No.

But you can mark a thread for watch. You can create a filter for this to
happen automatically.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<65C2DEE3.3090005@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2772&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2772

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 02:37:39 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:37 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:
>> HenHanna wrote:
>>>
>>> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>>
>> TB can receive any mail you get.
>>
>>> one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]
>>
>> What's GG?
>>
>>> once i've subscribed to a thread, a new followup to the thread is sent
>>> by email to me.
>>
>> So what's your question? You get a notification sent by email and receive
>> it with your (preferred) email program.
>> Your subscription is made on the platform or server where you submit your
>> email address for that. You can receive it with any mail program.
>
> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails.

Really? I think he/she wants right that.

> He/She wants e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
> participated.

You can manage all of this inside of TB with filters and\or highlighting
newsgroups, threads and postings in there.

Besides this Google is already cutting it's connection to the usenet in
the next weeks. "Google Groups" was never a real native connection to the
usenet.
So say goodbye to the "groups" via NNTP and get along with it.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<jgo5sitfnn9clak1dnjsepiuj3ajguu8e2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2773&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2773

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 17:56:48 -0800
 by: Nobody - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:56 UTC

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:15:32 +0100, Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee>
wrote:

>HenHanna wrote:
>>
>> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>
>TB can receive any mail you get.
>
>> one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]
>
>What's GG?

<sigh>

Google Groups which are (thankfully) about to withdraw from Usenet
*intervention*

<https://www.ghacks.net/2023/12/15/google-groups-is-dropping-usenet-support-and-that-is-a-good-thing/>

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upuqea$14vpk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2774&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2774

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 03:38:01 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 02:38 UTC

Am 07.02.24 um 02:37 schrieb Frank Miller:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:

>>> TB can receive any mail you get.

>>> What's GG?

>>> So what's your question? You get a notification sent by email and receive
>>> it with your (preferred) email program.
>>> Your subscription is made on the platform or server where you submit your
>>> email address for that. You can receive it with any mail program.
>>
>> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails.
>
> Really? I think he/she wants right that.
>
>> He/She wants e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
>> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
>> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
>> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
>> participated.
>
> You can manage all of this inside of TB with filters and\or highlighting
> newsgroups, threads and postings in there.

I think you are not familiar with "GG". IIRC ist is exactly how
VanguardLH posts: E-mail notifications of new posts in a subscribed group.

Right now we can see how the GG-users start to panick. And she is
obviously not familiar with the Usenet and its concept either: At the
end of February it will be game over.

The lady should learn, that Usenet means subscription to a
Usenet-provider/-server like eternal-september.org, solani.org or
individual.net. And for this purpose TB/BB are wonderful tools. It will
have much better functionality than the "GG"-concept.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<65C2EE4C.3050001@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2775&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2775

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 03:43:24 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 02:43 UTC

Nobody wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 01:15:32 +0100, Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee>
> wrote:
>
>>HenHanna wrote:
>>>
>>> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>>
>>TB can receive any mail you get.
>>
>>> one GG feature i'll miss will be... [Subscribe to Thread]
>>
>>What's GG?
>
> <sigh>
>
> Google Groups which are (thankfully) about to withdraw from Usenet

This was a rhetorical question from me.
It's not useful if you only use abbreviations like GG, BDSG, CS:GO, BDSM or
similar in a technical NG, when you call for help.
TAI.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upur19$oqp$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2776&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2776

From: gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 20:48:09 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 02:48 UTC

On 2/6/24 19:36, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> But you can mark a thread for watch. You can create a filter for this to
> happen automatically.

+1

View watched threads with new.

How you watch a thread initially without seeing new threads is an
exercise for the reader.

--
Grant. . . .

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<65C2F522.4020304@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2777&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2777

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 04:12:34 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 03:12 UTC

Jörg Lorenz wrote:
[..snip..]
> Right now we can see how the GG-users start to panick. And she is
> obviously not familiar with the Usenet and its concept either: At the
> end of February it will be game over.

And *that* is the point.

> The lady should learn, that Usenet means subscription to a
> Usenet-provider/-server like eternal-september.org, solani.org or
> individual.net. And for this purpose TB/BB are wonderful tools. It will
> have much better functionality than the "GG"-concept.

Not if you used some "Google Groups" which partially weren't ever
connected or federated to the usenet but only a part of the Google Universe.

So if you want to continue with "GG" in your familiar setting, use Google's
own browser chrome, log in and get along with whatever Google serves you.
Happy GMailing, Googling, GGrouping, GMapping, GEarthing, and all these other
G-Bullshit. But hey! You don't have to pay for that!

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<icglrkv8ermz$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2778&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2778

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:36:14 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 03:36 UTC

Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Frank Miller <miller@posteo.ee> wrote:

>>> TB can receive any mail you get.

>>> What's GG?

>>> So what's your question? You get a notification sent by email and receive
>>> it with your (preferred) email program.
>>> Your subscription is made on the platform or server where you submit your
>>> email address for that. You can receive it with any mail program.
>>
>> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails.
>
> Really? I think he/she wants right that.

He wants e-mailed notifications of new newsgroup messages, not
notifications just for any e-mails.

>> He/She wants e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
>> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
>> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
>> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
>> participated.
>
> You can manage all of this inside of TB with filters and\or highlighting
> newsgroups, threads and postings in there.

Tbird has actions in its filters to send an e-mail?

> Besides this Google is already cutting it's connection to the usenet in
> the next weeks. "Google Groups" was never a real native connection to the
> usenet.
> So say goodbye to the "groups" via NNTP and get along with it.

Yep, GG will die, and so will the web-forum features it has which is
what the OP hopes to retain. Web forums often have the feature to
notify when there has been new messages in a thread that you are
monitoring, or where you participated.

Tbird has the option to set a watch flag on a thread, right? The OP
could set the watch flag on a thread which would make it easier to find
those threads he flagged.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upvbtc$1b83n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2779&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2779

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 07:36:12 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 07:36 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails. He/She wants
> e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
> participated. It is very similar to other web-based forums where you
> get e-mailed notices when there is a new article in a thread where you
> participated. Usenet is not web forums, so the web forum features
> aren't in Usenet.

There's no reason why a client couldn't be /written/ to do that -
I can see the utility of it.

It could 'poll' subscribed newsgroups and check replies against
your notification criteria: first reply only or any subsequent
replies, thread or subthread, time limits, filters
etc.

Rather than send emails I would get it to generate an RSS feed.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upvnob$1cupl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2781&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2781

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:57:45 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:57 UTC

HenHanna wrote:

> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?
>

> one GG feature i'll miss will be...   [Subscribe to Thread]
>
> once i've subscribed to a thread,  a new followup to the thread is sent
> by email to me.
Now that you've left GG and are using Tbird with a news-server, forget
the notification function. Instead make sure you have messages arranged
by thread, which is how the vast majority of us follow our own
contributions. Another useful Tbird property is the yellow star, which
you can also use to mark threads.
Any further questions you have will always be dealt with in this group.
It's got some good members.
Ed

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<upvnql$1cvqf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2782&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2782

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:59:33 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:59 UTC

On 07.02.24 04:12, Frank Miller wrote:
> Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> [..snip..]
>> Right now we can see how the GG-users start to panick. And she is
>> obviously not familiar with the Usenet and its concept either: At the
>> end of February it will be game over.
>
> And *that* is the point.
>
>> The lady should learn, that Usenet means subscription to a
>> Usenet-provider/-server like eternal-september.org, solani.org or
>> individual.net. And for this purpose TB/BB are wonderful tools. It will
>> have much better functionality than the "GG"-concept.
>
> Not if you used some "Google Groups" which partially weren't ever
> connected or federated to the usenet but only a part of the Google Universe.
>
> So if you want to continue with "GG" in your familiar setting, use Google's
> own browser chrome, log in and get along with whatever Google serves you.
> Happy GMailing, Googling, GGrouping, GMapping, GEarthing, and all these other
> G-Bullshit. But hey! You don't have to pay for that!

OVER MY DEAD BODY!

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<wzvasyduowr1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2791&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2791

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 21:49:24 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 03:49 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

>> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails. He/She wants
>> e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
>> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
>> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
>> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
>> participated. It is very similar to other web-based forums where you
>> get e-mailed notices when there is a new article in a thread where you
>> participated. Usenet is not web forums, so the web forum features
>> aren't in Usenet.
>>

> There's no reason why a client couldn't be /written/ to do that -
> I can see the utility of it.
>
> It could 'poll' subscribed newsgroups and check replies against
> your notification criteria: first reply only or any subsequent
> replies, thread or subthread, time limits, filters
> etc.
>
> Rather than send emails I would get it to generate an RSS feed.

Yes, a client could be coded to notify somehow that a thread where you
participated, or one you selected to monitor, was updated by the
addition of a new article within a thread. Instead of just a Watch flag
you could set on a [sub]thread, a new feature of Monitor could be added.
Likely this would need to add another flag/tag in Tbird to determine
just what is getting monitored. How it notified was be the choice of
the coder: RSS feed entry, local e-mail generation, a popup, flashing
the newsgroup name in the tree pane, and so on. However, such
notification would be local to the client, so the client would have to
be always running. To date, I don't remember seeing nor hearing
therafter that Tbird has the web forum feature the OP mentioned.

I did a search on "newsgroups" at addons.thunderbird.net, but saw no
promising add-on that would add the monitor/notify feature.

The OP uses Eternal-September. Ray, it's admin, is trying to develop an
NNTP-to-HTTP gateway to provide web forum access to Usenet. NovaBBS
already has this, but they only carry some newsgroups, not all. Ray is
trying to figure out how to keep a responsive webnews client while
showing all the same newsgroups he carries on his NNTP server. No idea
if or when Ray will complete that project, or what features his webnew
client will have, like sending e-mails about changes (new articles) to
monitored threads. I'm not a member of NovaBBS/Rocksolid (novabbs.com)
to know what features that webnews client affords to its users.

I would find e-mail alerts of new articles added to a monitored thread
to be a nuisance. I don't need more interruptions. When I have the
time and impetus to spend time in Usenet, I load my NNTP client, and go
look. Pretty easy to see when Watch-flagged threads get new articles.

To me, Mozilla and later the Thunderbird group haven't given much love
to the NNTP side of Thunderbird. The way it lingers makes me think that
one day they will split the client into Thunderbird Mail and Thunderbird
Newsgroups.

For my NNTP client, it has a rule to Watch flag any threads that I
start. Else, I manually add a Watch flag if a thread interests me, so I
know which one(s) to look at on a revisit into the client. Flags are
shown in a column to easily identify which threads are flagged. I could
even switch between my default view of "Hide ignored messages" (I hide
flag instead of delete unwanted articles in my filters) to "Show watched
messages" to show only watch-flagged threads. Maybe Tbird has similar
flagging/tagging and views.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<uq22og$1spus$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2792&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2792

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:18:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 08:18 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

>>> He/She doesn't want to get notification of new e-mails. He/She wants
>>> e-mail notifications of *newsgroup* article where he participated
>>> (started or replied to). NNTP doesn't have the feature he wants
>>> borrowed from Google Groups where you subscribe to groups, and get
>>> e-mail notices when there are new articles to a thread where you
>>> participated. It is very similar to other web-based forums where you
>>> get e-mailed notices when there is a new article in a thread where you
>>> participated. Usenet is not web forums, so the web forum features
>>> aren't in Usenet.
>>>

>> There's no reason why a client couldn't be /written/ to do that -
>> I can see the utility of it.
>>
>> It could 'poll' subscribed newsgroups and check replies against
>> your notification criteria: first reply only or any subsequent
>> replies, thread or subthread, time limits, filters
>> etc.
>>
>> Rather than send emails I would get it to generate an RSS feed.
>
> Yes, a client could be coded to notify somehow that a thread where you
> participated, or one you selected to monitor, was updated by the
> addition of a new article within a thread. Instead of just a Watch flag
> you could set on a [sub]thread, a new feature of Monitor could be added.
> Likely this would need to add another flag/tag in Tbird to determine
> just what is getting monitored. How it notified was be the choice of
> the coder: RSS feed entry, local e-mail generation, a popup, flashing
> the newsgroup name in the tree pane, and so on. However, such
> notification would be local to the client, so the client would have to
> be always running. To date, I don't remember seeing nor hearing
> therafter that Tbird has the web forum feature the OP mentioned.
>
> I did a search on "newsgroups" at addons.thunderbird.net, but saw no
> promising add-on that would add the monitor/notify feature.
>
> The OP uses Eternal-September. Ray, it's admin, is trying to develop an
> NNTP-to-HTTP gateway to provide web forum access to Usenet. NovaBBS
> already has this, but they only carry some newsgroups, not all. Ray is
> trying to figure out how to keep a responsive webnews client while
> showing all the same newsgroups he carries on his NNTP server. No idea
> if or when Ray will complete that project, or what features his webnew
> client will have, like sending e-mails about changes (new articles) to
> monitored threads. I'm not a member of NovaBBS/Rocksolid (novabbs.com)
> to know what features that webnews client affords to its users.

Building it into a web access facility like NovaBBS is the way to
go, not in a client like TB. Monitoring becomes a server
function. Notification by email can occur just like it does with
a web forum, and the web front-end could also show notifications
if and when you open it.
> I would find e-mail alerts of new articles added to a monitored thread
> to be a nuisance. I don't need more interruptions. When I have the
> time and impetus to spend time in Usenet, I load my NNTP client, and go
> look. Pretty easy to see when Watch-flagged threads get new articles.
>
> To me, Mozilla and later the Thunderbird group haven't given much love
> to the NNTP side of Thunderbird. The way it lingers makes me think that
> one day they will split the client into Thunderbird Mail and Thunderbird
> Newsgroups.

Two years ago, in a discussion on TB Planning about a future
mobile version of TB, I suggested leaving NNTP out:
<https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/planning/T68972f2c6505827d>
The response from one guy was "The reducing market penetration of
NNTP makes it more important to support,  not less. " In other
words, TB should support it because it's dying. Maybe that's true
- there would be fewer usenet users if it TB didn't support it.

--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<2s0f9kx1ab.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2793&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2793

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 14:17:22 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:17 UTC

On 2024-02-08 09:18, Dave Royal wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:
>
>> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> Wrote in message:

>> I did a search on "newsgroups" at addons.thunderbird.net, but saw no
>> promising add-on that would add the monitor/notify feature.
>>
>> The OP uses Eternal-September. Ray, it's admin, is trying to develop an
>> NNTP-to-HTTP gateway to provide web forum access to Usenet. NovaBBS
>> already has this, but they only carry some newsgroups, not all. Ray is
>> trying to figure out how to keep a responsive webnews client while
>> showing all the same newsgroups he carries on his NNTP server. No idea
>> if or when Ray will complete that project, or what features his webnew
>> client will have, like sending e-mails about changes (new articles) to
>> monitored threads. I'm not a member of NovaBBS/Rocksolid (novabbs.com)
>> to know what features that webnews client affords to its users.
>
> Building it into a web access facility like NovaBBS is the way to
> go, not in a client like TB. Monitoring becomes a server
> function. Notification by email can occur just like it does with
> a web forum, and the web front-end could also show notifications
> if and when you open it.
>
>> I would find e-mail alerts of new articles added to a monitored thread
>> to be a nuisance. I don't need more interruptions. When I have the
>> time and impetus to spend time in Usenet, I load my NNTP client, and go
>> look. Pretty easy to see when Watch-flagged threads get new articles.

It could be useful for a person that is not looking on nntp everyday.
Posts a question and waits. Sometimes, an answer takes long to arrive.

>> To me, Mozilla and later the Thunderbird group haven't given much love
>> to the NNTP side of Thunderbird. The way it lingers makes me think that
>> one day they will split the client into Thunderbird Mail and Thunderbird
>> Newsgroups.
>
> Two years ago, in a discussion on TB Planning about a future
> mobile version of TB, I suggested leaving NNTP out:
> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/planning/T68972f2c6505827d>
> The response from one guy was "The reducing market penetration of
> NNTP makes it more important to support,  not less. " In other
> words, TB should support it because it's dying. Maybe that's true
> - there would be fewer usenet users if it TB didn't support it.

I agree.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email notification)?

<uq63rg$2pi79$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2808&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2808

From: HenHanna@gmail.com (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
notification)?
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 13:01:34 -0800
 by: HenHanna - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:01 UTC

-----Thanks!!

On 2/7/2024 2:57 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> HenHanna wrote:
>>
>> [Subscribe to Thread] -- can TB (ThunderBird) do this (email
>> notification)?
>>

>> one GG feature i'll miss will be...   [Subscribe to Thread]
>>
>> once i've subscribed to a thread,  a new followup to the thread is
>> sent by email to me.

i'm still using GG to [Subscribe to Threads] --to receive Email
notifications.