From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Profiles
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:02:43 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:02 UTC

I might be wrong, but aren't there several mentions of "Firefox" in this
support page when it should say "Thunderbird"?
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-thunderbird-profiles>

--

Jeff

Re: Profiles

<uq58fn$2kbot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2803&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2803

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Profiles
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 08:14:31 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 13:14 UTC

On 2/9/24 04:02 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I might be wrong, but aren't there several mentions of "Firefox" in this support page when it should
> say "Thunderbird"?
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-thunderbird-profiles>

Other than the point that making and picking profiles is the same, I think it's a brain fart on the
writer's part. But yes, it is confusing too. Even the links for Twitter and Instagram at the
bottom point to firefox.

I'd guess they copied the FF help and forgot to change all reference. Even a few images IIRC?
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Profiles

<uq5ose$2o057$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2804&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2804

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:54:21 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:54 UTC

On 2/9/2024 8:14 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 2/9/24 04:02 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I might be wrong, but aren't there several mentions of "Firefox" in this support page when it should say "Thunderbird"?
>> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-thunderbird-profiles>
>>
> Other than the point that making and picking profiles is the same, I think it's a brain fart on the writer's part.   But yes, it is confusing too.   Even the links for Twitter and Instagram at the bottom point to firefox.
>
> I'd guess they copied the FF help and forgot to change all reference.   Even a few images IIRC?

Oh, my, it's more interesting than that.

Since I have WSL and Windows in the same box, I can compare
how the page looks in Linux versus how it looks in Windows.

Can you see which is which here ?

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/W3DyfkQ1/fun-with-dynamic-web-content.gif

Paul

Re: Profiles

<14z2m1cwwyj9z$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2805&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2805

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:04:43 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:04 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I might be wrong, but aren't there several mentions of "Firefox" in this
> support page when it should say "Thunderbird"?
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-thunderbird-profiles>

I only saw the one at the end, which was:

See "Recover user data missing after Firefox update" for details.

Although oriented to Firefox, the discussion about profiles applies also
to Thunderbird. I'm not surprised there are links to FF topics that are
outside the Tbird article, because it's a mozilla.com page, not a
thunderbird.net page. The banner and footer sections are boilerplate,
and for Mozilla stuff. There are lots of links at thunderbird.net
pointing to mozilla.org. Hell, even the "Get Help" link at the top of
the www.thunderbird.net web page points to:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird

and that, like other Mozilla pages, has the boilerplate banner and
footer sections.

If the Thunderbird Dev group wanted to better solidify their identity,
they should've brought the Tbird articles from the mozilla.org domain to
their own thunderbird.net domain. Considering the hierarchy of Mozilla
with their MOZLA (moz://a) subsidiary, there is resource sharing.

Re: Profiles

<g9rcsi1t4b94bftjejpbpb3pbrsbjqf3l9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2806&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2806

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:21:39 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:02:43 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I might be wrong, but aren't there several mentions of "Firefox" in this
> support page when it should say "Thunderbird"?
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-thunderbird-profiles>

That depends on your OS.

For Windows 10...

I see only one mention of "Firefox" in the article itself.
All other search hits on "Firefox" are in the generic
support.mozilla.org page footer, not in the article itself.

The one mention of "Firefox" is in the link title "Recover user
data missing after Firefox update". I can find no equivalent
Thunderbird page to point the link to. You will find this link
under the sub-heading "Recovering information from an old profile".

For Linux

In addition to the same mention as for Windows 10, the page has
two search hits and two Firefox images under the sub-heading
"Start the Profile Manager when Thunderbird is closed".

It looks as if someone has copied the section from the Firefox
page, Linux version (see link below), and updated some but not
all of the "Firefox" mentions.
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles#firefox:linux:fx115>.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

As the man said to him on the tree top. Make no more haste when you come down then when you went up.

Re: Profiles

<morcsitf3su5ttd7qj6c5d8ehifs9cnctu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2807&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2807

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:29:49 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:29 UTC

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:54:21 -0500, Paul wrote:

> Since I have WSL and Windows in the same box, I can compare
> how the page looks in Linux versus how it looks in Windows.

Or just pick the OS from the drop-down on the page.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Change of pasture makes fat calves.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Profiles