Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:54:17 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Disk Activity in Resource Monitor?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:54 UTC

(Resource Monitor is a button in the Performance tab in Task Manager.)

In Resource Monitor's Disk tab, I get two tables (well, three, but the
one called "Storage" just tells me available space on my drive).

The tables are headed "Processes with Disk Activity", which lists a
column of things under the heading "Image", and "Disk Activity", which
also lists a column of things under the heading "Image".

I'm a bit puzzled what the difference between the two tables is! The
first table has a tickbox next to each image, and the second table has
all the columns the first one does (Image, PID, Read, Write, Total) plus
further ones (I/O Priority and Response time).

Also, in the activity graphs on the right, there are two things: a thin
green line with the curve below it filled, and a thicker blue line
without fill below it.

Yes, I have Read The Fine Help, but it's not forthcoming as to what the
difference between the two tables or the green and blue curves is (in
fact it's pretty minimal about the Disk tab altogether - it just about
mentions its existence).

Parkinson: "What caused your conversion to women - was it the love of a good
one?" George Melly: "No the love of several bad ones" (Lizbuff in UMRA
'01-4-25)

Re: Disk Activity in Resource Monitor?

<skhnl4$75k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2804&group=alt.windows7.general#2804

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Disk Activity in Resource Monitor?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:48:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 17:48 UTC

On 10/17/2021 6:54 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> (Resource Monitor is a button in the Performance tab in Task Manager.)
>
> In Resource Monitor's Disk tab, I get two tables (well, three, but the one called "Storage" just tells me available space on my drive).
>
> The tables are headed "Processes with Disk Activity", which lists a column of things under the heading "Image", and "Disk Activity", which also lists a column of things under the heading "Image".
>
> I'm a bit puzzled what the difference between the two tables is! The first table has a tickbox next to each image, and the second table has all the columns the first one does (Image, PID, Read, Write, Total) plus further ones (I/O Priority and Response time).
>
> Also, in the activity graphs on the right, there are two things: a thin green line with the curve below it filled, and a thicker blue line without fill below it.
>
> Yes, I have Read The Fine Help, but it's not forthcoming as to what the difference between the two tables or the green and blue curves is (in fact it's pretty minimal about the Disk tab altogether - it just about mentions its existence).

The first table is an overall summary or reads and writes
by the listed image.

The second table is a breakout of handles opened by
an image and how much reads and writes.

If you total all the numbers in a section of the second table,
it should equal the summary in the first table.

As for the graphs of queue length, they're pretty and all,
but I don't see the point. In Windows 10, the Task Manager has
a measure of queue length, which is the service delay (ranging
up to ten seconds or so), which measures how hamstrung a disk
is. And for a statistic, as useless as it is, that one is better
than the Win7 graph to me. The Win7 graph right now is just
"spikes", and fairly meaningless ones at that. At least when
I'm doing something in Win10, I can see a terrible small bandwidth
(1MB/sec) and a long service delay, and that tells me "ah, a ton
of small files requiring lots of seeks". I was running Robocopy the
other day, and copying 2.5TB of stuff, and got to see what an impact
WinSXS had on my transfer effort (those small files are a killer
for a hard drive). When Robocopy copies WinSXS, it does not
preserve the Hardlinks, and instead makes two copies of the file.

Paul

Re: Disk Activity in Resource Monitor?

<bC+GXZJ58HbhFwUJ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2805&group=alt.windows7.general#2805

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:53:29 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:53 UTC

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 at 13:48:02, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
>On 10/17/2021 6:54 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> (Resource Monitor is a button in the Performance tab in Task Manager.)
>> In Resource Monitor's Disk tab, I get two tables (well, three, but
>>the one called "Storage" just tells me available space on my drive).
[]
>The first table is an overall summary or reads and writes
>by the listed image.
>
>The second table is a breakout of handles opened by
>an image and how much reads and writes.
>
>If you total all the numbers in a section of the second table,
>it should equal the summary in the first table.

Thanks, that makes sense - and would explain why the same PID appears
multiple times in the second table.

>As for the graphs of queue length, they're pretty and all,
>but I don't see the point. In Windows 10, the Task Manager has
[]
Having only one drive in this laptop, I tend to agree - the disc
activity light gives an adequate indication!

Actually, since I killed that "addthis" process in Chrome's own Task
Manager, my system has been much more cheerful (it was crawling along,
with much disc access, before that); I haven't found which tab invoked
it yet. So the need for the disk monitoring is much less anyway!

An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one.
(George Mikes in "How to be an Alien".)