I am NOMAD!

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

SubjectAuthor
* Total number of messages in folder paneemfril
+* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
|+* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneRetirednoguilt
||+* Re: Total number of messages in folder panemicky
|||`* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneRetirednoguilt
||| `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
|||  +* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneRetirednoguilt
|||  |`* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneRetirednoguilt
|||  | `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
|||  |  `- Re: Total number of messages in folder paneStan Brown
|||  `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneStan Brown
|||   `- Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
||`* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
|| `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneRetirednoguilt
||  `- Re: Total number of messages in folder panesticks
|`* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneemfril
| +- Re: Total number of messages in folder paneNobody
| `- Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
`* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneBig Al
 `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneemfril
  `* Re: Total number of messages in folder paneAndy Burns
   `- Re: Total number of messages in folder paneNobody

1
Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptfj1$1lk6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2754&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2754

From: emfril@gmail.com (emfril)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Total number of messages in folder pane
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:26:32 -0500
 by: emfril - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:26 UTC

In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is shown.
It used to show also the total number of messages in each
folder, but after some update they removed it. How I can get
back the total number of messages of each folder? I've searched
the web, but only found answers that are not longer valid...
--
It ain't THAT, babe! — A radical reinterpretation
https://emf.neocities.org/bd/itaintmebabe.html

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2euitFpotrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2755&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2755

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Total number of messages in folder pane
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:38:21 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:38 UTC

emfril wrote:

> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is shown. It used
> to show also the total number of messages in each folder

first ensure you have

View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled

then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick

Show Total Message Count

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptg9m$ttij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2756&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2756

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:38:46 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:38 UTC

On 2/6/24 09:26 AM, emfril wrote:
> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is shown. It used to show also the total
> number of messages in each folder, but after some update they removed it. How I can get back the
> total number of messages of each folder? I've searched the web, but only found answers that are not
> longer valid...
Do you have the folder pane header with "new message" button? If so click on the ... beside it.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptgod$tuce$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2757&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2757

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:46:37 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:46 UTC

On 2/6/2024 9:38 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> emfril wrote:
>
>> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is shown. It used
>> to show also the total number of messages in each folder
>
> first ensure you have
>
> View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled
>
> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick
>
> Show Total Message Count

I've got the opposite problem, with a twist. I have "view folder pane
enabled", do NOT have the "Show Total Message Count" option ticked, but
still get the total number of messages in the folder regardless of being
read or unread. What I'd like it to display is only the number of
unread messages. That way, I don't have to click on each message folder
to see if there are new messages. How can that be configured?

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<4dl4si1889mlmj5f0aoctnj7ab4e4u7bi5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2758&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2758

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:52:48 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:52 UTC

In alt.comp.software.thunderbird, on Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:46:37 -0500,
Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 2/6/2024 9:38 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> emfril wrote:
>>
>>> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is shown. It used
>>> to show also the total number of messages in each folder
>>
>> first ensure you have
>>
>> View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled
>>
>> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick
>>
>> Show Total Message Count
>>

>I've got the opposite problem, with a twist. I have "view folder pane
>enabled", do NOT have the "Show Total Message Count" option ticked, but

Turn it on and then turn it off. Probably won't work but worth a try.

>still get the total number of messages in the folder regardless of being
>read or unread. What I'd like it to display is only the number of
>unread messages. That way, I don't have to click on each message folder
>to see if there are new messages. How can that be configured?

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptm0f$951$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2759&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2759

From: emfril@gmail.com (emfril)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:16:06 -0500
 by: emfril - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:16 UTC

On 2024-02-06 09:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> emfril wrote:
>
>> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is
>> shown. It used to show also the total number of messages in
>> each folder
>
> first ensure you have
>
>     View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled

I did not now that. Checked.

> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick

I do not see any [...]. At the top of the folder pane right now is:
alt.comp.software.thunderbird - blueworld
--
It ain't THAT, babe! — A radical reinterpretation
https://emf.neocities.org/bd/itaintmebabe.html

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<q9n4sil6j0md4f6ni0e6g64k8k3icb0834@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2760&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2760

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 08:32:42 -0800
 by: Nobody - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:16:06 -0500, emfril <emfril@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2024-02-06 09:38, Andy Burns wrote:
>> emfril wrote:
>>
>>> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is
>>> shown. It used to show also the total number of messages in
>>> each folder
>>
>> first ensure you have
>>
>>     View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled
>
>I did not now that. Checked.
>
>> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick
>
>I do not see any [...].

As Andy wrote, click View > Folders... then in the resulting dialog
box, make sure you place a check mark against *Folder Pane Header*.
Your folder pane should visibly move down a space or two.

After subsequently clicking the three resulting dots at the top of
that, then place a check mark against *Show Total Message Count* in
the second dialog box.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2f6ajFr2aiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2761&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2761

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:50:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:50 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote:

> What I'd like it to display is only the number of
> unread messages.

That's what I get by default (unread number in a circle) in fact I don't
see any way to turn it off, short of hiding it with css tweaks.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2f7fkFr2ahU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2762&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2762

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:10:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:10 UTC

emfril wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick
>
> I do not see any [...]. At the top of the folder pane right now is:
> alt.comp.software.thunderbird - blueworld

Mine is circled here ...

<http://andyburns.uk/misc/thunderbird-totals.png>

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptvbj$10s0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2763&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2763

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:55:45 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:55 UTC

On 2/6/2024 10:52 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.software.thunderbird, on Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:46:37 -0500,
> Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>>> first ensure you have
>>>
>>> View / Folders / Folder pane header enabled
>>>
>>> then from the [...] at the top of the folder pane, tick
>>>
>>> Show Total Message Count
>>>

>> I've got the opposite problem, with a twist. I have "view folder pane
>> enabled", do NOT have the "Show Total Message Count" option ticked, but
>
> Turn it on and then turn it off. Probably won't work but worth a try.
>
>> still get the total number of messages in the folder regardless of being
>> read or unread. What I'd like it to display is only the number of
>> unread messages. That way, I don't have to click on each message folder
>> to see if there are new messages. How can that be configured?

Cycling the "show total message count" option, when I tick the box, an
additional, much larger number in black font surrounded by a pale gray
oval appears. When the tick is removed, that additional display
disappears, and only the lower number in a white font surrounded by a
dark gray oval remains. That lower number does not correspond to the
zero unread messages in the relevant folder. I do see that in a
different folder, there's a number in white font surrounded by a blue
oval. That folder does have 6 unread messages in it but the number
displayed is 17, which doesn't correlate with anything category of
message in that folder. I'm learning to ignore the ovals as meaningless
decoration but would find it useful if it meant something. Besides,
without column headers above the various ovals, I wouldn't be able to
remember which color font/background color indicates what.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uptvgd$10s0q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2764&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2764

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:58:20 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

On 2/6/2024 11:50 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>
>> What I'd like it to display is only the number of
>> unread messages.
>
> That's what I get by default (unread number in a circle) in fact I don't
> see any way to turn it off, short of hiding it with css tweaks.

Easy response to that comment: I've never done a css tweak because I
don't know what a css is much less how to tweak it. As far as I'm
aware, I'm using the most current release channel version of TB 64 bit
and have no extensions or add-ons that could or would change any settings.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<upu238$118fl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2765&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2765

From: wolverine01@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:42:31 -0600
 by: sticks - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:42 UTC

On 2/6/2024 12:58 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 11:50 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>>
>>> What I'd like it to display is only the number of
>>> unread messages.
>>
>> That's what I get by default (unread number in a circle) in fact I don't
>> see any way to turn it off, short of hiding it with css tweaks.
>
> Easy response to that comment: I've never done a css tweak because I
> don't know what a css is much less how to tweak it. As far as I'm
> aware, I'm using the most current release channel version of TB 64 bit
> and have no extensions or add-ons that could or would change any settings.

FWIW, Jorg has a little bit on their site on a user-tips page that can
help those wanting to try it. It's down at the bottom of the page.

<https://www.betterbird.eu/expert-tips/index.html>

--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2fgufFt9m1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2766&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2766

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:51:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote:

> an additional, much larger number in black font surrounded by a pale
> gray oval appears.

That's your total count

> the lower number in a white font surrounded by a dark gray oval
> remains.

That's your undead count

It's not unknown for the unread count to get out of whack, doing a "mark
all read" on the group should fix it, maybe the total is also out of
whack? right click the group, properties and repair folder ...

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<upucd1$28v3$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2767&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2767

From: emfril@gmail.com (emfril)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:38:15 -0500
 by: emfril - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

On 2024-02-06 09:38, Big Al wrote:
> On 2/6/24 09:26 AM, emfril wrote:
>> In the folder pane, only the number of unread messages is
>> shown. It used to show also the total number of messages in
>> each folder, but after some update they removed it. How I can
>> get back the total number of messages of each folder? I've
>> searched the web, but only found answers that are not longer
>> valid...
> Do you have the folder pane header with "new message" button?
> If so click on the ... beside it.

OK. I found the folder pane header in View > Folders. Then I saw
the ... Now it's OK. Thanks.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2gt82F5q56U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2780&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2780

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 08:27:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 08:27 UTC

emfril wrote:

> I found the folder pane header in View > Folders.

<gentle sob>

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<srb7si9n8juhv894i5jf3n1pi8gjaitmj2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2783&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2783

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 08:28:04 -0800
 by: Nobody - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:28 UTC

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 08:27:46 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>emfril wrote:
>
>> I found the folder pane header in View > Folders.
>
><gentle sob>

[Horse... water...]

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uq0ett$1h3ep$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2784&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2784

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:33:47 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:33 UTC

On 2/6/2024 2:51 PM, Andy Burns wrote:

> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>
>> an additional, much larger number in black font surrounded by a pale
>> gray oval appears.
>
> That's your total count
>
>> the lower number in a white font surrounded by a dark gray oval
>> remains.
>
> That's your undead count
>
> It's not unknown for the unread count to get out of whack, doing a "mark
> all read" on the group should fix it, maybe the total is also out of
> whack? right click the group, properties and repair folder ...

Thanks Andy. As you suggest, I've ticked each folder with ovals
displaying the non-existent unread messages as "mark all as read" and
indeed, the oval disappeared. I'll see how things and which ones appear
tomorrow.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<MPG.402d8109f76febb499028a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2786

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:59:38 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:59 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:51:42 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>
> > an additional, much larger number in black font surrounded by a pale
> > gray oval appears.
>
> That's your total count
>
> > the lower number in a white font surrounded by a dark gray oval
> > remains.
>
> That's your undead count

Thanks for making me spit-take while I was drinking tea!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2i6r9FcbkcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2789&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2789

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:17:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 20:17 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> That's your undead count
>
> Thanks for making me spit-take while I was drinking tea!

Yeah, I originally fumbled it as undread, noticed it before sending, but
fumbled the correction too ...

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<uq2p0d$20eh0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2794&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2794

From: HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 09:38:05 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 14:38 UTC

On 2/7/2024 12:33 PM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 2:51 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>> Retirednoguilt wrote:
>>
>>> an additional, much larger number in black font surrounded by a pale
>>> gray oval appears.
>>
>> That's your total count
>>
>>> the lower number in a white font surrounded by a dark gray oval
>>> remains.
>>
>> That's your undead count
>>
>> It's not unknown for the unread count to get out of whack, doing a "mark
>> all read" on the group should fix it, maybe the total is also out of
>> whack? right click the group, properties and repair folder ...
>>

> Thanks Andy. As you suggest, I've ticked each folder with ovals
> displaying the non-existent unread messages as "mark all as read" and
> indeed, the oval disappeared. I'll see how things and which ones appear
> tomorrow.

Today's findings: Indeed only the folders with new messages have an
oval with numbers. I also observed that when I "kill" the first
threaded message among many subsequent messages in that thread, the
numbers in the oval do not change. In a way, that does make sense. I
did not read them even though they won't show up if I filter to display
only unread messages. But they're still there to be read if I choose.
I was conflating "killing" messages with "deleting" them. The numbers
only get smaller when I either "delete" a message or mark the entire
folder as read. My new practice will be to use the "mark all as read"
function after reading or killing new messages in a folder before moving
on to another folder or closing TB.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<l2ka0fFo1gqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2795&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2795

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:23:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:23 UTC

Retirednoguilt wrote:

> Today's findings: Indeed only the folders with new messages have an
> oval with numbers. I also observed that when I "kill" the first
> threaded message among many subsequent messages in that thread, the
> numbers in the oval do not change. In a way, that does make sense. I
> did not read them even though they won't show up if I filter to display
> only unread messages. But they're still there to be read if I choose.

For me the thing which (sometimes) makes the counters get out of sync is
killfile rules, occasionally a folder shows non-zero messages, and
I have to use View/Ignored Threads to see them, when they generally turn
out to be messages I wanted killfiled.

Re: Total number of messages in folder pane

<MPG.402ec38aaf4b13c7990291@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2796&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#2796

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 10:55:48 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:55 UTC

On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:23:58 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> For me the thing which (sometimes) makes the counters get out of sync is
> killfile rules, occasionally a folder shows non-zero messages, and
> I have to use View/Ignored Threads to see them, when they generally turn
> out to be messages I wanted killfiled.

My Trash folder chronically showed a count of 1 new message when
there were no undead :-) messages, or even no messages at all. Repair
Folder seems to have fixed that, though.