From: paulrs@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices
Date: 30 Aug 2021 23:09:32 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:09 UTC

Maybe I am missing something?? When I "safely" remove a flash drive from
Tumbleweed, if I reinsert it or another flash drive, the device will not
be found. I have to restart Tumbleweed.
(1) Is there is need to "Refresh" the USB port that I am missing?
(2) Are others having this trouble?

My Tumbleweed installation is kept up to date with the latest "Updates"
whenever they present themselves.

Thanks
paulrs

--
paulrs

Re: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices

<tvd00ixbb3.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=281&group=alt.os.linux.suse#281

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:41:49 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:41 UTC

On 31/08/2021 01.09, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> Maybe I am missing something?? When I "safely" remove a flash drive from
> Tumbleweed, if I reinsert it or another flash drive, the device will not
> be found. I have to restart Tumbleweed.

Using Leap, I have never seen it, so this is not normal. Maybe some new
problem in TW, maybe something peculiar to your machine. Ask in factory
mail list.

Remember to specify desktop you use. And obtain logs.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices

<ip8bgmFb92sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=283&group=alt.os.linux.suse#283

From: paulrs@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 1 Sep 2021 03:48:39 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:48 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:41:49 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 31/08/2021 01.09, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>> Maybe I am missing something?? When I "safely" remove a flash drive
>> from Tumbleweed, if I reinsert it or another flash drive, the device
>> will not be found. I have to restart Tumbleweed.
>
> Using Leap, I have never seen it, so this is not normal. Maybe some new
> problem in TW, maybe something peculiar to your machine. Ask in factory
> mail list.
>
> Remember to specify desktop you use. And obtain logs.

I believe I found the problem. We have had some momentary power
fluctuations. To get the computer to recognize a flash drive returned to
the USB port I was RESTARTING the CPU. I decided to power completely
down (SHUTDOWN) and even unplug the AC for a short time. Upon restarting
Tumbleweed, I found that inserting and removing flash-drives returned to
normal. Should of thought of this from my Windoze experience - When all
else fails power down, wait, and restart. Carlos was right, it was a
machine issue probably caused by momentary power interruptions.
Thanks for the help
paulrs

--
paulrs

Re: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices

<i5i30ixloq.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=285&group=alt.os.linux.suse#285

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:11:30 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 06:11 UTC

On 01/09/2021 05.48, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 03:41:49 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 31/08/2021 01.09, Paul R Schmidtbleicher wrote:
>>> Maybe I am missing something?? When I "safely" remove a flash drive
>>> from Tumbleweed, if I reinsert it or another flash drive, the device
>>> will not be found. I have to restart Tumbleweed.
>>
>> Using Leap, I have never seen it, so this is not normal. Maybe some new
>> problem in TW, maybe something peculiar to your machine. Ask in factory
>> mail list.
>>
>> Remember to specify desktop you use. And obtain logs.
>
> I believe I found the problem. We have had some momentary power
> fluctuations. To get the computer to recognize a flash drive returned to
> the USB port I was RESTARTING the CPU. I decided to power completely
> down (SHUTDOWN) and even unplug the AC for a short time. Upon restarting
> Tumbleweed, I found that inserting and removing flash-drives returned to
> normal. Should of thought of this from my Windoze experience - When all
> else fails power down, wait, and restart. Carlos was right, it was a
> machine issue probably caused by momentary power interruptions.

Computers hate power fluctuations...

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Tumbleweed - Refreshing Removable Devices

<sgq437$11nt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=287&group=alt.os.linux.suse#287

From: ulickmagee@feckoff.invalid (Ulick Magee)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:00:19 +0100
 by: Ulick Magee - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 09:00 UTC

On 01/09/2021 07:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Computers hate power fluctuations...

Use a laptop, it has a built-in UPS :D