Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

SubjectAuthor
* Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
`* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Paul
 `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Nic
  +* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Paul
  |`* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Nic
  | +- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Paul
  | `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |  `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  |   `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |    `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  |     `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |      `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |       `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  |        `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |         `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  |          `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |           `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  |            `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Killadebug
  |             `- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
  `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Dr. Noah Bodie
   +* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Bobbie Sellers
   |`- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Aragorn
   `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Nic
    `* Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Mike Bott
     +- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?jjb
     +- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Paul
     `- Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?Big Al

Pages:12
Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg20gr$1ilh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2756&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2756

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:16:58 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:16 UTC

I tried using Time Shift but it didn't restore the older version of the
system files that I selected. Are there any apps that work better for
restoring?

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg27ga$3s0gp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2758&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2758

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:16:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:16 UTC

On 9/16/2022 10:16 AM, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
> I tried using Time Shift but it didn't restore the older version of the system files that I selected. Are there any apps that work better for restoring?

https://www.makeuseof.com/use-timeshift-backup-and-restore-linux-snapshots/

"In case you aren't able to boot into your system, you can try booting
into it using a live USB stick and then use Timeshift to restore it to
its previous working state and fix any broken or misconfigured
system component, setting, or file."

Maybe that would work as an approach ?

Paul

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<eZ3VK.535797$BKL8.257961@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2760&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2760

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:17:29 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:17 UTC

On 9/16/22 12:16 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 10:16 AM, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>> I tried using Time Shift but it didn't restore the older version of
>> the system files that I selected. Are there any apps that work better
>> for restoring?
>
> https://www.makeuseof.com/use-timeshift-backup-and-restore-linux-snapshots/
>

>    "In case you aren't able to boot into your system, you can try booting
>     into it using a live USB stick and then use Timeshift to restore
> it to
>     its previous working state and fix any broken or misconfigured
>     system component, setting, or file."
>
> Maybe that would work as an approach ?
>
>    Paul

Paul you sound uncertain, 'you can try' or 'maybe that would work"???????

The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time
Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking
device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a
target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg2or2$3uhmj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2761&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2761

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:12:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:12 UTC

On 9/16/2022 3:17 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 9/16/22 12:16 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 9/16/2022 10:16 AM, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>>> I tried using Time Shift but it didn't restore the older version of the system files that I selected. Are there any apps that work better for restoring?
>>
>> https://www.makeuseof.com/use-timeshift-backup-and-restore-linux-snapshots/
>>
>>    "In case you aren't able to boot into your system, you can try booting
>>     into it using a live USB stick and then use Timeshift to restore it to
>>     its previous working state and fix any broken or misconfigured
>>     system component, setting, or file."
>>
>> Maybe that would work as an approach ?
>>
>>    Paul
>
> Paul you sound uncertain, 'you can try' or 'maybe that would work"???????
>
> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.

Backup and restore, generally works best when the target
partition is not being used. And that's for a partition
where files are busy and will not release.

Any time a tool gives you a problem, think back to the
general principles that apply. If a tool is "refusing",
then look at an alternate way to run it where it won't
refuse.

Paul

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<kT5VK.176152$9Yp5.24285@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2762&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2762

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:27:44 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:27 UTC

On 9/16/22 5:12 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 3:17 PM, Nic wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.makeuseof.com/use-timeshift-backup-and-restore-linux-snapshots/
>>>

>>>    "In case you aren't able to boot into your system, you can try
>>> booting
>>>     into it using a live USB stick and then use Timeshift to restore
>>> it to
>>>     its previous working state and fix any broken or misconfigured
>>>     system component, setting, or file."
>>>
>>> Maybe that would work as an approach ?
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> Paul you sound uncertain, 'you can try' or 'maybe that would
>> work"???????
>>
>> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on
>> Time Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning
>> docking device, where I place my primary (working drive) and
>> copy/clone to a target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
>>

> Backup and restore, generally works best when the target
> partition is not being used. And that's for a partition
> where files are busy and will not release.
>
> Any time a tool gives you a problem, think back to the
> general principles that apply. If a tool is "refusing",
> then look at an alternate way to run it where it won't
> refuse.
>
>    Paul

Paul you exasperate me, on the one hand you are very knowledgeable about
the coding and purpose of said hard ware and software issues, but rarely
delve into the core issues of purpose of life's gratitude's. PS: I think
you are wonderful.

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg33e2$fre$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2764&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2764

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:12:50 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:12 UTC

On 09/16/2022 04:17 PM, Nic wrote:
> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time
> Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking
> device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a
> target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.

Then I can copy the /root folder to an external drive and use that
instead of fighting with trash like Time Shift?

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg34kk$3vi1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2765&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2765

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:33:24 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:33 UTC

On 9/16/22 17:12, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
> On 09/16/2022 04:17 PM, Nic wrote:
>> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time
>> Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking
>> device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a
>> target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
>
> Then I can copy the /root folder to an external drive and use that
> instead of fighting with trash like Time Shift?

Timeshift is not trash but you have to understand how to employ it. At
times it can be difficult to use because your backup partition
or drive may not be mounted when you use external drives.

Use whatever tool you want to use but read its documentation before you
try to use it.

bliss-“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many do.” After all
here I am...

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<XnsAF14D166956F6Youremailemailnet@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2766&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2766

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
From: Youremail@email.net (Nic)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:34:54 GMT
 by: Nic - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:34 UTC

"Dr. Noah Bodie" <noah@bodie.not> wrote in news:tg33e2$fre$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

> On 09/16/2022 04:17 PM, Nic wrote:
>> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on
Time
>> Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking
>> device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a
>> target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
>
> Then I can copy the /root folder to an external drive and use that
> instead of fighting with trash like Time Shift?

If you planning on using usb to copy your home folder to an external
drive be prepared that something is broken, if it is a software
solution , not the answer, it appears that the coders have lost contact
with the beast they thought they have tamed.

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<20220917032205.6c5fccfe@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2767&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2767

From: telcontar@duck.com (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 03:22:05 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 01:22 UTC

On 16.09.2022 at 17:33, Bobbie Sellers scribbled:

> On 9/16/22 17:12, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
> > On 09/16/2022 04:17 PM, Nic wrote:
> >> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on
> >> Time Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning
> >> docking device, where I place my primary (working drive) and
> >> copy/clone to a target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
> >
> > Then I can copy the /root folder to an external drive and use that
> > instead of fighting with trash like Time Shift?
>
> Timeshift is not trash but you have to understand how to
> employ it. At times it can be difficult to use because your backup
> partition or drive may not be mounted when you use external drives.

It now automatically mounts and unmounts the filesystem with the
backups. ;)

> Use whatever tool you want to use but read its documentation
> before you try to use it.

+100

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg38ma$3vub2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2768&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2768

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:42:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 01:42 UTC

On 9/16/2022 5:27 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 9/16/22 5:12 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Paul you sound uncertain, 'you can try' or 'maybe that would work"???????
>>>
>>> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
>>>

>> Backup and restore, generally works best when the target
>> partition is not being used. And that's for a partition
>> where files are busy and will not release.
>>
>> Any time a tool gives you a problem, think back to the
>> general principles that apply. If a tool is "refusing",
>> then look at an alternate way to run it where it won't
>> refuse.
>>
>>    Paul
>>
> Paul you exasperate me, on the one hand you are very knowledgeable about the coding and purpose of said hard ware and software issues, but rarely delve into the core issues of purpose of life's gratitude's. PS: I think you are wonderful.

OK, make it dull and boring if you wish.

Here's your link.

https://www.makeuseof.com/use-timeshift-backup-and-restore-linux-snapshots/

"2. Restore a Snapshot

You can restore a snapshot in two situations: when your system
is working and when you can't boot into your system.

https://static1.makeuseofimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/restoring-snapshot-in-timeshift-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1500&dpr=1.5

In case you aren't able to boot into your system, you can try
booting into it using a live USB stick and then use Timeshift
to restore it to its previous working state and fix any broken
or misconfigured system component, setting, or file.
"

See, that's not a recipe. You still have to know to do:

sudo apt install timeshift

when instructed to on the Live USB.

Paul

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<iieVK.760882$%fx6.352128@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2771&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2771

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
From: mbott001@gmail.com (Mike Bott)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:02:38 +0100
 by: Mike Bott - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 07:02 UTC

On 9/17/22 01:34, Nic wrote:

> If you planning on using usb to copy your home folder to an external
> drive be prepared that something is broken, if it is a software
> solution , not the answer, it appears that the coders have lost contact
> with the beast they thought they have tamed.

Using Clonezilla to image the drive to an external drive has never
failed me ... Linux or Windows. Been doing it this way for well over 8+
years.

--
Mike

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg4e6p$pc7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2772&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2772

From: invalid@invalid.nl (jjb)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 14:22:49 +0200
 by: jjb - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 12:22 UTC

On 17-09-2022 09:02, Mike Bott wrote:
> On 9/17/22 01:34, Nic wrote:
>

>> If  you planning on using usb to copy your home folder to an external
>> drive be prepared that something is broken, if  it is a software
>> solution , not the answer, it appears that the coders have lost contact
>> with the beast they thought they have tamed.
>
> Using Clonezilla to image the drive to an external drive has never
> failed me ... Linux or Windows.  Been doing it this way for well over 8+
> years.

Perfect "bare metal" solution. Otherwise, use rsync or suchlike.

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg4fe8$5o0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2773&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2773

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:43:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 12:43 UTC

On 9/17/2022 3:02 AM, Mike Bott wrote:
> On 9/17/22 01:34, Nic wrote:
>

>> If  you planning on using usb to copy your home folder to an external
>> drive be prepared that something is broken, if  it is a software
>> solution , not the answer, it appears that the coders have lost contact
>> with the beast they thought they have tamed.
>
> Using Clonezilla to image the drive to an external drive has never failed me ... Linux or Windows.  Been doing it this way for well over 8+ years.

There's even a GUI package for it.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rescuezilla/rescuezilla.github.io/master/media/screenshots/3.png

Paul

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg4hdr$5tel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2774&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2774

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:17:46 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 13:17 UTC

On 9/17/22 03:02, this is what Mike Bott wrote:
> On 9/17/22 01:34, Nic wrote:
>

>> If  you planning on using usb to copy your home folder to an external
>> drive be prepared that something is broken, if  it is a software
>> solution , not the answer, it appears that the coders have lost contact
>> with the beast they thought they have tamed.
>
> Using Clonezilla to image the drive to an external drive has never failed me ... Linux or Windows.  Been doing it this
> way for well over 8+ years.

I've got Acronis v20 loaded in Windows and I use that. I can read the files, extract a few or a folder. It doesn't
like linked files though. I will do a whole partition.

Al

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg5oqc$99vn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2786

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 00:30:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 00:30 UTC

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:27:44 -0400, Nic wrote:

> On 9/16/22 5:12 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Paul you sound uncertain, 'you can try' or 'maybe that would
>>> work"???????
>>>
>>> The op was looking for an alternative to Time Shift. I gave up on Time
>>> Shift a long time ago, currently I use an external cloning docking
>>> device, where I place my primary (working drive) and copy/clone to a
>>> target (second drive). Has not failed me yet.
>>>

>> Backup and restore, generally works best when the target partition is
>> not being used. And that's for a partition where files are busy and
>> will not release.
>>
>> Any time a tool gives you a problem, think back to the general
>> principles that apply. If a tool is "refusing", then look at an
>> alternate way to run it where it won't refuse.
>>
>>    Paul
>>
> Paul you exasperate me, on the one hand you are very knowledgeable about
> the coding and purpose of said hard ware and software issues, but rarely
> delve into the core issues of purpose of life's gratitude's. PS: I think
> you are wonderful.

I'm using btrfs and timeshift. Btrfs snapshots are created in an instant
and using time shift to restore a previous snapshot takes all of 2
seconds. Reboot and your system is restored to it's previous state. I use
time shift for both @ and @home, and maintain 3 hourly snapshots. I
recently locked the root accounbt on my mechine, thru stupidity on my
part. much to my surprise, not only was the root account disable, but suso
no longer worked, so I could not fixed my error. I open Timeshift,
clicked on the previous hourly snapshot, clicked on restore @ only not
@home. Reboot and my system was back with root account enabled. Took all
of 20 seconds to reboot. After that I disabled the root password but not
the root account. Sudo works just fine.

That is the whole reason for Timeshift, it is not a backup system. If
your drive goes south, the snapshots go with it. Timeshift was created
for just the purpose of rectifying my STUPID mistake.

I make weekly backups using Clonzilla, have been for over 10 yrs.
Clonezilla has never failed doing a restore in that time. I backup my
system once a week, like clockwork. Keep a clonezilla image on a external
usb sata ssd and a copy on my Mega account, in case my house burns down
or computer gets stolen.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg6rtu$1ufa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2789&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2789

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:29:17 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 10:29 UTC

On 09/17/2022 09:30 PM, Killadebug wrote:
> I'm using btrfs and timeshift.

what is the benefit of btrfs over rsync? i only want a backup of the
/root folder so that i can restore a working system if i ever need to.

i backup all of the /home folders to an external drive.

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg7o6s$lg9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2804&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2804

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:31:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 18:31 UTC

On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:29:17 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:

> On 09/17/2022 09:30 PM, Killadebug wrote:
>> I'm using btrfs and timeshift.
>
> what is the benefit of btrfs over rsync? i only want a backup of the
> /root folder so that i can restore a working system if i ever need to.
>
> i backup all of the /home folders to an external drive.

btrfs snapshot takes all of 1 sec to create, same time to restore 1 sec.
This possible because btrfs is a COW system. You reboot and your system
is restored. I create a hourly snapshot of both my root @ and home @home.
Time shift allows to to restore both @ and @home or just @. Again btrfs
snapshots do not replace a good backup system. The snapshots are stored
on the drive they are created on. If the drive dies so do the snapshots.

It is a great and safe way to restore your system if you do something
STUPID like I did.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg7u65$1otk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2807&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2807

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:13:55 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 20:13 UTC

On 09/18/2022 03:31 PM, Killadebug wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 07:29:17 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>
>> On 09/17/2022 09:30 PM, Killadebug wrote:
>>> I'm using btrfs and timeshift.

>> what is the benefit of btrfs over rsync? i only want a backup of the
>> /root folder so that i can restore a working system if i ever need to.
>>
>> i backup all of the /home folders to an external drive.

> btrfs snapshot takes all of 1 sec to create, same time to restore 1 sec.
> This possible because btrfs is a COW system. You reboot and your system
> is restored. I create a hourly snapshot of both my root @ and home @home.
> Time shift allows to to restore both @ and @home or just @.

i looked at the 'btrfs' setting and the option to ignore or include
specific folders isn't available. does that mean the /home folders (i
have 3) will be included in the backup?

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tg83f2$o9m3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2816&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2816

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:44:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:44 UTC

On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:13:55 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:

> On 09/18/2022 03:31 PM, Killadebug wrote:

>>> what is the benefit of btrfs over rsync? i only want a backup of the
>>> /root folder so that i can restore a working system if i ever need to.
>>>
>>> i backup all of the /home folders to an external drive.
>
>> btrfs snapshot takes all of 1 sec to create, same time to restore 1
>> sec. This possible because btrfs is a COW system. You reboot and your
>> system is restored. I create a hourly snapshot of both my root @ and
>> home @home.
>> Time shift allows to to restore both @ and @home or just @.
>
> i looked at the 'btrfs' setting and the option to ignore or include
> specific folders isn't available. does that mean the /home folders (i
> have 3) will be included in the backup?

In Timeshift if you do not want your @home subvolume to be included in
your snapshot, simple uncheck the box. Then only your @ root subvolume
will be included in the snapshot. I only keep three hourly snapshots on
my system.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgav5u$190io$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2832

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:49:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:49 UTC

On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:44:02 +0000, Killadebug wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:13:55 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:

>>> btrfs snapshot takes all of 1 sec to create, same time to restore 1
>>> sec. This possible because btrfs is a COW system. You reboot and your
>>> system is restored. I create a hourly snapshot of both my root @ and
>>> home @home.
>>> Time shift allows to to restore both @ and @home or just @.
>>
>> i looked at the 'btrfs' setting and the option to ignore or include
>> specific folders isn't available. does that mean the /home folders (i
>> have 3) will be included in the backup?
>
> In Timeshift if you do not want your @home subvolume to be included in
> your snapshot, simple uncheck the box. Then only your @ root subvolume
> will be included in the snapshot. I only keep three hourly snapshots on
> my system.

As a followup...since Im using btrfs and it is being actively developed
still, I always run the latest Linux Kernel to make sure I have the
latest btrfs improvements. I've been using the Xanmod Kernel for over 5
years and I'm quite happy with both the performance and stability of the
kernel. I'm currently running Xanmod Linux Kernel 5.19.9 and I have no
issues. Btrfs seems very solid now,

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgjfd8$9o0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2881&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2881

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:15:19 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:15 UTC

On 09/19/2022 08:49 PM, Killadebug wrote:
> As a followup...since Im using btrfs and it is being actively developed
> still, I always run the latest Linux Kernel to make sure I have the
> latest btrfs improvements. I've been using the Xanmod Kernel for over 5
> years and I'm quite happy with both the performance and stability of the
> kernel. I'm currently running Xanmod Linux Kernel 5.19.9 and I have no
> issues. Btrfs seems very solid now,

Is the patch for Xanmod for comparing differences between versions?
Or do you install it to make Xanmod run better?

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgldq5$2n88b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2883&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2883

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:00:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:00 UTC

On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:15:19 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:

> On 09/19/2022 08:49 PM, Killadebug wrote:
>> As a followup...since Im using btrfs and it is being actively developed
>> still, I always run the latest Linux Kernel to make sure I have the
>> latest btrfs improvements. I've been using the Xanmod Kernel for over 5
>> years and I'm quite happy with both the performance and stability of
>> the kernel. I'm currently running Xanmod Linux Kernel 5.19.9 and I have
>> no issues. Btrfs seems very solid now,
>

> Is the patch for Xanmod for comparing differences between versions?
> Or do you install it to make Xanmod run better?

I'm not sure what you mean by "patch". I'm notified by LMDE update
manager when a new version of the Xanmod Kernel is available. I let it do
the update and reboot into the newest Xanmod Kernel.

The Xanmod website has instructions on adding the Xanmod repo, and then
installing the Keren. I personnaly stay with the Stable one. Your mileage
ma vary.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgo13h$1ta1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2892&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2892

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:41:52 -0300
References: <tg20gr$1ilh$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg27ga$3s0gp$1@dont-email.me> <eZ3VK.535797$BKL8.257961@fx15.iad> <tg2or2$3uhmj$1@dont-email.me> <kT5VK.176152$9Yp5.24285@fx12.iad> <tg5oqc$99vn$1@dont-email.me> <tg6rtu$1ufa$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg7o6s$lg9i$1@dont-email.me> <tg7u65$1otk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg83f2$o9m3$1@dont-email.me> <tgav5u$190io$1@dont-email.me> <tgjfd8$9o0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tgldq5$2n88b$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:41 UTC

On 09/23/2022 08:00 PM, Killadebug wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "patch".

https://github.com/xanmod/linux/releases/download/5.19.11-xanmod1/patch-5.19.11-xanmod1.xz

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgo797$33hhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2894&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2894

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 00:27:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 00:27 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:41:52 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:15:19 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>> Is the patch for Xanmod for comparing differences between versions?
>> Or do you install it to make Xanmod run better?
>

> On 09/23/2022 08:00 PM, Killadebug wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "patch".
>
> https://github.com/xanmod/linux/releases/download/5.19.11-xanmod1/
patch-5.19.11-xanmod1.xz

Ah I see. No I do not use the patch method. I have the repo enabled and
just download and install the new patched kernel when it is available.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Are There Better Apps Than "Time Shift" For Restoring?

<tgqgv7$16f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2898&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#2898

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:24:54 -0300
References: <tg20gr$1ilh$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg27ga$3s0gp$1@dont-email.me> <eZ3VK.535797$BKL8.257961@fx15.iad> <tg2or2$3uhmj$1@dont-email.me> <kT5VK.176152$9Yp5.24285@fx12.iad> <tg5oqc$99vn$1@dont-email.me> <tg6rtu$1ufa$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg7o6s$lg9i$1@dont-email.me> <tg7u65$1otk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg83f2$o9m3$1@dont-email.me> <tgav5u$190io$1@dont-email.me> <tgjfd8$9o0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tgldq5$2n88b$1@dont-email.me> <tgo13h$1ta1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tgo797$33hhr$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 21:24 UTC

On 09/24/2022 09:27 PM, Killadebug wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:41:52 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 02:15:19 -0300, Dr. Noah Bodie wrote:
>>> Is the patch for Xanmod for comparing differences between versions?
>>> Or do you install it to make Xanmod run better?
>>

>> On 09/23/2022 08:00 PM, Killadebug wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by "patch".

>> https://github.com/xanmod/linux/releases/download/5.19.11-xanmod1/patch-5.19.11-xanmod1.xz

> Ah I see. No I do not use the patch method. I have the repo enabled and
> just download and install the new patched kernel when it is available.

i just installed xanmod and it does seem to be a *bit* faster sometimes,
but i could be imagining it. i haven't used it long enough to make a
real comparison.

the repo indicates there's a newer version available.