A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: OT Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

SubjectAuthor
* How strange. Fields may be mssing.micky
+* Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.micky
|`* Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Char Jackson
| +- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.micky
| `- Re: OT Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Nobody
+* Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.The Real Bev
|+- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Carlos E.R.
|`* Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Jörg Lorenz
| `* Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.The Real Bev
|  +- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Jörg Lorenz
|  +- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.micky
|  `- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Standards Basher
`- Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.Big Al

1
How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<qgbhuip1t7b8qdhttptaejju63b26jsbo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2693&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2693

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: How strange. Fields may be mssing.
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:04:50 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:04 UTC

Things get stranger all the time.

I wanted to join Hertz rentacar Tin Rewards Program.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/member/enrollment/skinnyGold/fast

(They call it gold rewards but I think that's puffing.)

I filled out all the fields, except the day of my birth. It gave a good
drop-down menu for year and month, but the cursor changed to circle with
a slash when I put it in that field.

But I submitted it anyhow and it showed, in red, errors for almost every
field. First name, last name, phone number, year, month, and day of
birth (even though the first two came from their own drop-down menu),
drivers license # and state, home address, city, country, zipcode.
But NOT for email, password and credit card info.

I couldn't get past thsi so I went to Chrome. No big deal that the
page does not work, but in Chrome, for driver's license, it wanted
month, day, year of expiration, even though those boxes were not even
there in FF. How strange.

Is there some easy way to report pages that don't work to FF-central?

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<h2chuihqjja9dpvh32qdqfo9cudfe436pg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2694&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2694

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:11:04 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:11 UTC

And then when they enrolled me, Hertz sent me an email with a member
number, but the web page showed an entirely different number, also
called "member number". Both of them 8 digits, one starts with 21 and
the other with 16.

The enrollment email aslo said that now I can just choose whichever car
I want. This is supposed to be quicker, but will they really have the
cars parked, sorted by price, or will I have to check how big the car is
and how much it will cost me.

(It does have an advantage in that once, by Hertz but not in the US, I
was given a car that couldn't even hold in the hatch 1 fairly large and
one medium suitcase, only the first one. Actually it took him very
little time to give me another car, and I wouldn't have more than one
bag in the USA in the first place. So it's not an advantage.)

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:04:50 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Things get stranger all the time.
>
>I wanted to join Hertz rentacar Tin Rewards Program.
>
>https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/member/enrollment/skinnyGold/fast
>
> (They call it gold rewards but I think that's puffing.)
>
>I filled out all the fields, except the day of my birth. It gave a good
>drop-down menu for year and month, but the cursor changed to circle with
>a slash when I put it in that field.
>
>But I submitted it anyhow and it showed, in red, errors for almost every
>field. First name, last name, phone number, year, month, and day of
>birth (even though the first two came from their own drop-down menu),
>drivers license # and state, home address, city, country, zipcode.
> But NOT for email, password and credit card info.
>
>I couldn't get past thsi so I went to Chrome. No big deal that the
>page does not work, but in Chrome, for driver's license, it wanted
>month, day, year of expiration, even though those boxes were not even
>there in FF. How strange.
>

>Is there some easy way to report pages that don't work to FF-central?

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usadph$ijo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2695&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2695

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:48:16 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:48 UTC

On 3/6/24 10:04 AM, micky wrote:
> Things get stranger all the time.
>
> I wanted to join Hertz rentacar Tin Rewards Program.
>
> https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/member/enrollment/skinnyGold/fast
>
> (They call it gold rewards but I think that's puffing.)
>
> I filled out all the fields, except the day of my birth. It gave a good
> drop-down menu for year and month, but the cursor changed to circle with
> a slash when I put it in that field.
>
> But I submitted it anyhow and it showed, in red, errors for almost every
> field. First name, last name, phone number, year, month, and day of
> birth (even though the first two came from their own drop-down menu),
> drivers license # and state, home address, city, country, zipcode.
> But NOT for email, password and credit card info.
>
> I couldn't get past thsi so I went to Chrome. No big deal that the
> page does not work, but in Chrome, for driver's license, it wanted
> month, day, year of expiration, even though those boxes were not even
> there in FF. How strange.

Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
actually appear. I put this down to programmer incompetence. There are
various other things that FF chokes on but Chrome has no trouble with.
Nightly FFs will SOMETIMES see things that FF82 (my preference) doesn't.
OTOH, Chrome refuses to allow some sites for 'security' reasons that
FF has no trouble with; these aren't sketchy sites, honest.

So we just have to use several different browsers. Nuisance.

> Is there some easy way to report pages that don't work to FF-central?

And does anybody even care?

--
Cheers, Bev
"I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usag22$j0ac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2696&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2696

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:26:58 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:26 UTC

On 3/6/24 01:04 PM, micky wrote:
> Things get stranger all the time.
>
> I wanted to join Hertz rentacar Tin Rewards Program.
>
> https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/member/enrollment/skinnyGold/fast
>
> (They call it gold rewards but I think that's puffing.)
>
> I filled out all the fields, except the day of my birth. It gave a good
> drop-down menu for year and month, but the cursor changed to circle with
> a slash when I put it in that field.
>
> But I submitted it anyhow and it showed, in red, errors for almost every
> field. First name, last name, phone number, year, month, and day of
> birth (even though the first two came from their own drop-down menu),
> drivers license # and state, home address, city, country, zipcode.
> But NOT for email, password and credit card info.
>
> I couldn't get past thsi so I went to Chrome. No big deal that the
> page does not work, but in Chrome, for driver's license, it wanted
> month, day, year of expiration, even though those boxes were not even
> there in FF. How strange.
>

> Is there some easy way to report pages that don't work to FF-central?
The is a person that posts 'release notes' for every new version.
I read them recently and one of the past updates, like within 8 or so, had a new feature built into
FF that allowed you to report pages. Or some such wording.

You'd have to go through release notes to find it, but I made a reply post at the time that it
seemed like a nice feature, but as Bev states... is it smoke and mirrors or does someone really look?
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<tr0nbkxku8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2699&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2699

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 21:38:53 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 20:38 UTC

On 2024-03-06 19:48, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 3/6/24 10:04 AM, micky wrote:
>> Things get stranger all the time.
>>
>> I wanted to join Hertz rentacar Tin Rewards Program.
>>
>> https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/member/enrollment/skinnyGold/fast
>>
>>   (They call it gold rewards but I think that's puffing.)
>>
>> I filled out all the fields, except the day of my birth.  It gave a good
>> drop-down menu for year and month, but the cursor changed to circle with
>> a slash when I put it in that field.
>>
>> But I submitted it anyhow and it showed, in red, errors for almost every
>> field.  First name, last name, phone number, year, month, and day of
>> birth (even though the first two came from their own drop-down menu),
>> drivers license # and state, home address, city, country, zipcode.
>>     But NOT for email, password and credit card info.
>>
>> I couldn't get past thsi so I went to Chrome.   No big deal that the
>> page does not work, but in Chrome, for driver's license, it wanted
>> month, day, year of expiration, even though those boxes were not even
>> there in FF.   How strange.
>
> Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
> actually appear.  I put this down to programmer incompetence.  There are
> various other things that FF chokes on but Chrome has no trouble with.
> Nightly FFs will SOMETIMES see things that FF82 (my preference) doesn't.
>  OTOH, Chrome refuses to allow some sites for 'security' reasons that
> FF has no trouble with;  these aren't sketchy sites, honest.

That's because you are using an obsolete browser that has not been
updated to know why those sites are bad :-)

> So we just have to use several different browsers.  Nuisance.
>
>> Is there some easy way to report pages that don't work to FF-central?
>
> And does anybody even care?

Yes, there is a click somewhere. In help, report deceptive site. Mmm...
what about non working site?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usam84$k65p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2700&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2700

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:12:36 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 21:12 UTC

On 06.03.24 19:48, The Real Bev wrote:
> Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
> actually appear. I put this down to programmer incompetence.

I hope you will still love me: That claim is based not on programmer
incompetence rather on user ignorance.

FF currently stands at 123.0.1 (64-Bit). There are years of rapid
development in between.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<krrhuith8egk4u0qjed4fum0g9e5m07ah1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2701&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2701

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:47:59 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:47 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:11:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>And then when they enrolled me, Hertz sent me an email with a member
>number, but the web page showed an entirely different number, also
>called "member number". Both of them 8 digits, one starts with 21 and
>the other with 16.

Mine is a single 8-digit number that begins with 60. You shouldn't have two
member numbers. Perhaps you enrolled twice?

>The enrollment email aslo said that now I can just choose whichever car
>I want. This is supposed to be quicker, but will they really have the
>cars parked, sorted by price, or will I have to check how big the car is
>and how much it will cost me.

They typically park the Gold cars in a section by themselves, usually right up
front for quick access. You're important now, so you'll have to adjust a bit.
You should be able to skip the visit to the Hertz counter and just proceed out
the door. Look around for a big sign/board that has your first initial, last
name, and parking spot number. Go to that spot, load up, and proceed to the exit
(the keys are in it, somewhere). They'll check a few things there and you'll be
on your way. Meanwhile, the ordinary schmucks are still inside, waiting in line.

You select your rental just like you did before, usually by size and type of
vehicle, and they'll do their best to accommodate you. As I'm approaching my
spot and I see what they've selected for me, if I see something in that row that
I like better, I take the better choice. They adjust the paperwork when I'm
exiting the area. They've never asked me to go back and take the other car and
they've never adjusted the rental cost, but I suppose there are limits to that
so don't get too crazy.

(I know that *my* response has nothing to do with Firefox, but your post did.)

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usbcq3$s0lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2703&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2703

From: bashley101@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:37:39 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 03:37 UTC

On 3/6/24 1:12 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 06.03.24 19:48, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
>> actually appear. I put this down to programmer incompetence.
>
> I hope you will still love me: That claim is based not on programmer
> incompetence rather on user ignorance.
>
> FF currently stands at 123.0.1 (64-Bit). There are years of rapid
> development in between.

I know that. Whatever happened to the "standards" thing? A chrome of
uncertain age sees things that are invisible to the Nightly FFs.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system,

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<3ajiui1inh3tqth246l3tcrkj3eir2po9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2705&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2705

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:18:01 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 05:18 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:47:59 -0600, Char
Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:11:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>And then when they enrolled me, Hertz sent me an email with a member
>>number, but the web page showed an entirely different number, also
>>called "member number". Both of them 8 digits, one starts with 21 and
>>the other with 16.
>
>Mine is a single 8-digit number that begins with 60. You shouldn't have two
>member numbers. Perhaps you enrolled twice?

That makes sense, although I thought I had decided it wasn't worth it
since I never rented a car in the US. And now it wanted my credit card
and drivers license and I think I wouldn't have given all that info for
so little gain. But you must be right. I'll see if I can find a record.

>>The enrollment email aslo said that now I can just choose whichever car
>>I want. This is supposed to be quicker, but will they really have the
>>cars parked, sorted by price, or will I have to check how big the car is
>>and how much it will cost me.
>
>They typically park the Gold cars in a section by themselves, usually right up
>front for quick access. You're important now, so you'll have to adjust a bit.
>You should be able to skip the visit to the Hertz counter and just proceed out
>the door. Look around for a big sign/board that has your first initial, last
>name, and parking spot number. Go to that spot, load up, and proceed to the exit
>(the keys are in it, somewhere). They'll check a few things there and you'll be
>on your way. Meanwhile, the ordinary schmucks are still inside, waiting in line.
>
>You select your rental just like you did before, usually by size and type of
>vehicle, and they'll do their best to accommodate you. As I'm approaching my
>spot and I see what they've selected for me, if I see something in that row that
>I like better, I take the better choice. They adjust the paperwork when I'm
>exiting the area. They've never asked me to go back and take the other car and
>they've never adjusted the rental cost, but I suppose there are limits to that
>so don't get too crazy.

Thanks for all this. Nothing I found went even close to such detail. It
sounds little bit like rushing for a window seat on Southwest. I hoee I
don't get into any fights.
>(I know that *my* response has nothing to do with Firefox, but your post did.)

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usbmot$tlcj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2706&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2706

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 07:27:41 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 06:27 UTC

On 07.03.24 04:37, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 3/6/24 1:12 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> On 06.03.24 19:48, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
>>> actually appear. I put this down to programmer incompetence.
>>
>> I hope you will still love me: That claim is based not on programmer
>> incompetence rather on user ignorance.
>>
>> FF currently stands at 123.0.1 (64-Bit). There are years of rapid
>> development in between.
>
> I know that. Whatever happened to the "standards" thing? A chrome of
> uncertain age sees things that are invisible to the Nightly FFs.

Because it prints money for Google or a materially different config.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<ob3kui1bsnm1lqp8jla7crbmqojrcdu448@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2708&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2708

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 13:55:49 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:55 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:37:39 -0800, The
Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/6/24 1:12 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> On 06.03.24 19:48, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Firefox 82/linux can't see many of the reCAPTCHAs, although some
>>> actually appear. I put this down to programmer incompetence.
>>
>> I hope you will still love me: That claim is based not on programmer
>> incompetence rather on user ignorance.
>>
>> FF currently stands at 123.0.1 (64-Bit). There are years of rapid
>> development in between.
>
>I know that. Whatever happened to the "standards" thing? A chrome of
>uncertain age sees things that are invisible to the Nightly FFs.

Are you saying you get a new version off FF every night, and none of
them do capchas right? Isn't it to be expected that nightlys will have
errors?

Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<usdrra$2bq9f$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2709&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2709

From: noreply@mandrill.com (Standards Basher)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 02:00:00 +0000
 by: Standards Basher - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 02:00 UTC

On 07/03/2024 03:37, The Real Bev wrote:

> I know that.� Whatever happened to the "standards" thing?� A chrome of
> uncertain age sees things that are invisible to the Nightly FFs.

Standards move over time. standards made in the 20th century may not
necessarily be standards in the 21st century. People have to keep moving
as well.

At one time the word "gay" meant "happy" but now if you say somebody is
gay then you are likely to be called xenophobe.

People should stop talking about standards when technology is moving
very fast at the speed of human thinking power.

Re: OT Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.

<i9inuidjl3pdbio96c32ue8vfdhgcm9qud@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2711&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#2711

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: OT Re: How strange. Fields may be mssing.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 18:35:32 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 02:35 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 20:08:53 -0600, Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 18:07:59 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Thu, 07 Mar 2024 15:00:44 -0600, Char
>>Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>>>That's not my problem, it's theirs, and they've never said anything to me about
>>>it. I guess they're flexible enough to give my car to someone else if I've taken
>>>someone else's car. But yes, since I'm Gold, if I'm stealing someone else's car
>>>I stay in the Gold section to do it. I really like the Hyundai Sonata.

>>BTW JCB is a Japanese credit card, similar to Mastercard, able to be
>>used in many countries in Asia and elswhere.
>
>I thought I recognized it. JC Benney, right? Weren't they in malls at one time?
>I was wondering what happened to them. Good to see that they moved to Jp.

OT: Another *cents less* Usenet comment.

Offering a penny for a few thoughts won't help

Non-North American males will ilkely get their tight-white Staffords
in a twist...