Let the machine do the dirty work. -- "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Ritchie

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.email / Spam solution patented

SubjectAuthor
* Spam solution patentedArlo Lipof
+* Re: Spam solution patentedPost To Usenet
|`* Re: Spam solution patentedScott Dorsey
| `- Re: Spam solution patentedThe Doctor
`* Re: Spam solution patentedjrg
 `- Re: Spam solution patentedR. Daneel Olivaw

1
Spam solution patented

<t27ast$qau$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=270&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#270

From: the_earl@dorkmaster.com (Arlo Lipof)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Spam solution patented
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:57:00 -0700
 by: Arlo Lipof - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 16:57 UTC

April 1 2022, Stanford, California

AT&T today received patent 5358978 for an auto-responder
which effectively stops spammers in their tracks.
Efftard Donglemeier, group leader of the 1300 person
anti-spam and abuse team, spoke to reporters Thursday.

"This may be the final answer for spam" said Donglemeier,
speaking from their newly constructed anti-spam campus
located in the verdant California hills just above
Stanford University. "When a customer sends a complaint
to abuse(at)att.net, within 120 days or less, we send an
auto-response thanking them for their input. In addition,
we provide links to both our Terms of Service (TOS)
and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). By simply clicking
on these links with a "web-browser", a user can verify
for him or herself that we indeed have a strict
anti-spam policy posted on our website. Once a
spammed customer reads and understands this policy,
there is virtually no chance that they will receive
another unwanted email from the sender's email address.

Donglemeier then went on to explain the details of
how these "auto-responses", "links", "web-sites" and
"policies" stop spam in its tracks, and the specific
features and technologies protected by their recent
patent. He also reminded reporters that AT&T was a
pioneer in the use of the ASCII character set to
represent information posted on a web-site.

Re: Spam solution patented

<t27bo7$56s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=271&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#271

From: posttousenet@gmail.com (Post To Usenet)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Subject: Re: Spam solution patented
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 11:11:35 -0600
 by: Post To Usenet - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:11 UTC

On 2022-04-01 10:57 a.m., Arlo Lipof wrote:
> April 1 2022, Stanford, California
>
> AT&T today received patent 5358978 for an auto-responder
> which effectively stops spammers in their tracks.
> Efftard Donglemeier, group leader of the 1300 person
> anti-spam and abuse team, spoke to reporters Thursday.

<SNIP a lot of crazy stuff>

Good try it's April 1 2022 April fools day I am
not going to fall for that.

Good try though....

Re: Spam solution patented

<t27bu2$1cv5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=272&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#272

From: jeff.g.group@att.net (jrg)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 10:14:41 -0700
 by: jrg - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:14 UTC

On 4/1/22 09:57, Arlo Lipof wrote:
> April 1 2022, Stanford, California
>
> AT&T today received patent 5358978 for an auto-responder
> which effectively stops spammers in their tracks.
> Efftard Donglemeier, group leader of the 1300 person
> anti-spam and abuse team, spoke to reporters Thursday.
>
> "This may be the final answer for spam" said Donglemeier,
> speaking from their newly constructed anti-spam campus
> located in the verdant California hills just above
> Stanford University.  "When a customer sends a complaint
> to abuse(at)att.net, within 120 days or less, we send an
> auto-response thanking them for their input. In addition,
> we provide links to both our Terms of Service (TOS)
> and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).  By simply clicking
> on these links with a "web-browser", a user can verify
> for him or herself that we indeed have a strict
> anti-spam policy posted on our website.  Once a
> spammed customer reads and understands this policy,
> there is virtually no chance that they will receive
> another unwanted email from the sender's email address.
>
> Donglemeier then went on to explain the details of
> how these "auto-responses", "links", "web-sites" and
> "policies" stop spam in its tracks, and the specific
> features and technologies protected by their recent
> patent. He also reminded reporters that AT&T was a
> pioneer in the use of the ASCII character set to
> represent information posted on a web-site.

its Apr 1!

Re: Spam solution patented

<t27d8a$ekr$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=273&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#273

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: 1 Apr 2022 17:37:14 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 17:37 UTC

Post To Usenet <posttousenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2022-04-01 10:57 a.m., Arlo Lipof wrote:
>> April 1 2022, Stanford, California
>>
>> AT&T today received patent 5358978 for an auto-responder
>> which effectively stops spammers in their tracks.
>> Efftard Donglemeier, group leader of the 1300 person
>> anti-spam and abuse team, spoke to reporters Thursday.
>>
><SNIP a lot of crazy stuff>
>

>Good try it's April 1 2022 April fools day I am
>not going to fall for that.
>
>Good try though....

Yeah, everybody knows that's not patentable. There's lots of prior art
from uunet and hosteurope and ovh...
--scott

Re: Spam solution patented

<utse4h5gvsuprrtgf03auvd8af9er69t59@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=274&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#274

From: olivawasimov@gmail.com (R. Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 17:51:54 -0400
 by: R. Daneel Olivaw - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 21:51 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 10:14:41 -0700, jrg <jeff.g.group@att.net> wrote:

>its Apr 1
If you have to explain the joke....

Time to dig up the Signetics WOM datasheet.

Re: Spam solution patented

<t27t00$2vko$48@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=275&group=news.admin.net-abuse.email#275

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:05:52 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:05 UTC

In article <t27d8a$ekr$1@panix2.panix.com>,
Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>Post To Usenet <posttousenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 2022-04-01 10:57 a.m., Arlo Lipof wrote:
>>> April 1 2022, Stanford, California
>>>
>>> AT&T today received patent 5358978 for an auto-responder
>>> which effectively stops spammers in their tracks.
>>> Efftard Donglemeier, group leader of the 1300 person
>>> anti-spam and abuse team, spoke to reporters Thursday.
>>>
>><SNIP a lot of crazy stuff>
>>

>>Good try it's April 1 2022 April fools day I am
>>not going to fall for that.
>>
>>Good try though....
>
>Yeah, everybody knows that's not patentable. There's lots of prior art
>from uunet and hosteurope and ovh...
>--scott
>--
>"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

:-)
Truth is the only progress. -unknown Beware https://mindspring.com

computers / news.admin.net-abuse.email / Spam solution patented