From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: [LINK] RISC-V Is Now An Official Debian Architecture
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 27 Jul 2023 08:53:20 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:53 UTC

RISC-V Is Now An Official Debian Architecture
By Michael Larabel, 23 July 2023
- https://www.phoronix.com/news/Debian-Official-RISC-V

"Debian 13 "Trixie" has been aiming for official RISC-V support and
indeed it will happen: RISC-V has now been promoted to an official
Debian CPU architecture.
While long available as a Debian port, as of this weekend RISC-V
64-bit is now considered an official Debian architecture.
Debian developer Aurelien Jarno notes though in the announcement
that the official archive for RISC-V 64-bit is rather bare at the
moment but will be building out soon:" ...

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: [LINK] RISC-V Is Now An Official Debian Architecture

<u9t2s4$1jvmf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2694&group=comp.misc#2694

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:29:23 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 06:29 UTC

Am 27.07.2023 schrieb not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev):

> Debian developer Aurelien Jarno notes though in the announcement
> that the official archive for RISC-V 64-bit is rather bare at the
> moment but will be building out soon:"

What are the plans for hardware manufacturers?
Which hardware do they plan to manufacture?

Re: [LINK] RISC-V Is Now An Official Debian Architecture

<64c2fb04@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2695&group=comp.misc#2695

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 28 Jul 2023 09:17:24 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 23:17 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am 27.07.2023 schrieb not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev):
>> Debian developer Aurelien Jarno notes though in the announcement
>> that the official archive for RISC-V 64-bit is rather bare at the
>> moment but will be building out soon:"
>
> What are the plans for hardware manufacturers?

SiFive have been announcing high-spec RISC-V CPU chips and showing
demos of desktop-like applications for years. Now various board
manufacturers are starting to make them available for real.

> Which hardware do they plan to manufacture?

Here's a review of one RISC-V Raspberry Pi clone:
https://hackaday.com/2023/03/06/the-future-of-risc-v-and-the-visionfive-2-single-board-computer/

There's also a microATX motherboard supporting a 64-core RISC-V at
up to 2GHz currently in a successful crowd funding campaign here:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/milkv/milk-v-pioneer

SiFive released a Mini-ITX RISC-V board suitable for a low-power
desktop in 2021, but it's sold out and they're still working on
the next model.
https://hothardware.com/reviews/hifive-unmatched-a-risc-v-proposition

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: [LINK] RISC-V Is Now An Official Debian Architecture

<ua2tpd$en4$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2696&group=comp.misc#2696

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 29 Jul 2023 11:39:25 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:39 UTC

In article <u9t2s4$1jvmf$2@dont-email.me>, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>Am 27.07.2023 schrieb not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev):
>> Debian developer Aurelien Jarno notes though in the announcement
>> that the official archive for RISC-V 64-bit is rather bare at the
>> moment but will be building out soon:"
>
>What are the plans for hardware manufacturers?
>Which hardware do they plan to manufacture?

That's kind of the big question. There's a small array of RISC-V stuff out
there, and because the architecture is pretty clean it doesn't require the
complexity of modern Intel systems. But so far everything has been built on
relatively old and slow processes.
--scott